What is the current state of Dulwich Women's institute?

elderflower Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello,

>

> I was wondering if anyone has any experience of

> east dulwich women's institute? I have moved from

> central london where the ethos was more young, fun

> and inclusive. EDWI seems more traditional middle

> class and mum based?

Did you actually go to any of the ED WI meetings? It's predominately (but certainly not entirely) middle class because of the local demographic and a few events may appear aimed at traditional WI (I avoid those evenings), but a lot of the members are childless so I wouldn't say it was mum's based. And very few indeed would attend if the meetings weren't held in a place where alcohol was available.

The sale of cakes etc that you may have seen at local fairs is only to raise money for events, not reflective of the ethos of the group. The majority of members are working, not at home with children, which is why the main WI meetings are only in the evening (there's often a problem getting anyone to attend invites from other WI groups that have meetings during the day).

If you write a list of the type of events that you'd like to see then it would be easier to say if this is at odds with the current set up. Which WI were you a member of in Central London?

Hello Tropica,

I was at shoreditch and then islington. Thanks for your response, it was the answer I was looking for. Sorry, I could have put my initial enquiry better. I am a mum, I make jam, cakes and knit.

I guess, the "new" ethos of Women's institute seems to aim to have a broader appeal and be reflective of modern life. It was more lets listen to hip hop and rock, knit dolls based on computer games discuss constructive ways to deal with knife crime in the area. It comes down to what you find relevant I guess. Dulwich from what I can make out it lets make bunting which fun as it does sound traditional. Maybe the oldies are the best.

I will attend a meeting, I am aware I'm knocking it before trying it and thats not the spirit.

Wickedstepmother what alternative type ideas do you have?

How about helping to form the new oxfam group? That way you can help forge the way a group functions instead of joining one that is quite set in it's ways and that doesn't quite suit you as a person.

I just saw there is an Oxfam speaker event, with free wine (crucially) next week. Maybe that will be more your perticular brand of tea.

I know they are looking for new members to join the group, and it could be fun.

That sounds like fun and a good idea. I wonder what other groups exist?

I think abandoning particularities probably aids growth as a person and any organisation probably aims to reflect the collective wants of individuals so there is going to be an air of elusiveness in chasing a fixed ideal.

I'm in Dulwich now so time to explore the joys of bunting.

Loads of groups exist everything from bridge clubs to the lawn tennis club

If you fancy coming along to the oxfam thing, it's at the crown and greyhound tomorrow night at 6:30.

I will be there unless my silly daughter needs me to babysit.

• 1 month later...

MakeHQ rant the bunting workshop for the WI last week, and it was great fun. You can check out pictures on our website here:

MakeHQ Flikr Feed

We had nearly 40 people there including 9 new members. Its not very cutting edge I guess, but it was a really nice way to spend an evening with like minded women and have a chance to be creative. The age range was from (I guess) early 20s to 60s - with a significant contingent of 20/30 somethings. Its not particularly mumsy - there are allsorts of ladies there, most of whom come straight from work.

Its held the first Wednesday of every month in the upstairs room at The Magnolia on Lordship Lane from 7.30pm. Next month is a talk by somebody from Dulwich Picture Gallery, and the month after is a quilting session from one of the V&A exhibition ladies. They also do lots of events outside of the scheduled meetings.

The best thing to do is come on down and see if you like it - no need to stay or join if you don't. There's enough going on in ED for everyone to find something to suit them :))

Mel

MakeHQ: Contemporary Craft Workshops

Does making bunting count as a contemporary craft? Really?

I've been involved with WI groups for 20 years and I think making bunting in a urban london community lacks function and meaning but is pandering to the middle classes who want to live in a bunting bubble.

Why not aim to the demographic of people actually living in East Dulwich who are not all middle class. Yes, there is a lot on in east dulwich but the WI is suppose to be reflective of the women in a community not merely subscribing to what you believe a set of WI wannabes want to do. It is the women's institute. An institute for women. All women. If the WI started of as a white middle class institution its because thats what the times gave back then. Now everyone counts so why not try and just appeal to all women rather than what you think count as traditional WI activities. I think EDWI misses the point. Not all women in Dulwich are white middle class and don't find what was contemporary in the 50's has the same meaning as many things you could be doing now.

Wake up and look around you!

Bunting (or sewing generally) is not a contemporary craft (although it is quite trendy at the moment), its as old as the hills. The aim of our workshops is not necessarily to innovate with new crafts, but to re-energise crafts which are dying out (knitting, crochet, making your own clothes and beauty products etc). We think its a shame that people who are no longer taught them as a matter of course when at school or via their mothers/grandmothers. I think these things are particularly relevant today when we are encouraged to save money, reuse things, recycle etc. There is no race/class issue there.

The contemporary aspect of what MakeHQ does is in the setting/environment/items we produce. No more fuddy duddy things in musty old school halls for weeks on end, but a fun evening out after work/when the kids are in bed.

We were asked to run a workshop for the WI which was a) functional (the WI will use the bunting for their cake stands etc) b) collaborative (everyone participated in its production) and c) a good night out. I think we achieved that.

I can assure you that the people who attend our classes are not "the middle classes who live in a bunting bubble" but come from all backgrounds, races, ages and sexes (yes, men sew too!). One of the things I really liked about the WI meeting was the fact that it is a chance to meet people of different ages and from different backgrounds.

I'm intrigued - what type of things would you like to see on offer, and how do you think it could be more inclusive? I'm not actually part of the WI, but I am sure they would be really interested to hear your ideas (as am I - I am always trying to come up with classes that I think people would enjoy and want to attend).

Mel

MakeHQ

elderflower Wrote:

> I've been involved with WI groups for 20 years and

> I think making bunting in a urban london community

> lacks function and meaning but is pandering to the

> middle classes who want to live in a bunting

> bubble.

>

Is it stating the obvious that the 'Women' bit in WI might be from the 50s. I'd guess there might be a few divorced Dads faced by that fear on their weekend of "I need a shepherd/princess/pumpkin costume for Monday" who might appreciate the odd sewing lesson. Not a problem in this household (yet?).

Maybe it's the mums who spend their days dealing with the perpetrators/victims of knife and gun crime who might want something less edgy on their odd evening off that decide what the EDWI get up to.

In reply to http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,492820,514417#msg-514417

MakeHQ Wrote:

> Bunting (or sewing generally) is not a

> contemporary craft

Bunting is not a contemporary interest but I would argue that sewing is contemporary or else I wonder how all the clothes people wear are made. Duh.

There are millions or things you can teach people to sew that hold far more relevance than bunting... starting on my own person a purse, bag, hair band, corsage, skirt, t shirt...

Surely promoting economy in the home in these tough times would be a far more practical use of time. Crafting doesn't all have to be about bored people trying to make pretty but could actually teach people significant and relevant life skills. Before you turn this into a plug for your company mel I don't think that includes charging people silly money for skills - your price range is not something that seems in keeping with a more economical budget and again I'd say your business is aimed at that middle class pound.

I think I'd like to see something more along the lines of teaching people real and practical skills of how to turn old clothes into something new. If you want to revive the make do and mend ethos then teach people how to darn and mend. How to recycle old clothes and homewares into something new and useful.

elderflower Wrote:

> There are millions or things you can teach people

> to sew that hold far more relevance than

> bunting... starting on my own person a purse, bag,

> hair band, corsage, skirt, t shirt...

I think I might be taking an unhealthy interest in this but isn't bunting the stuff you put up at school fairs and junior sports events (triangles of material on a string) whereas I thought (OK, so I looked it up on Google) that a corsage is some sort of real or fake flower thing for prom queens and brides. That seems a lot more middle class and pointless to me than a bit of decoration for the local primary school sports day.

elderflower... it seems to me as though you are commenting on a "club" which you don't belong to, suggesting that the members do something else with their time.

It's rather like criticising a wine tasting group for not drinking beer instead. Or suggesting that the cricket club switch to mixed volleyball.

If you don't like it, don't join.

So women are about making bunting and trying to revive pointless things? As opposed to do what the WI is for and represent women not a bunch of "this is what we think it should be like" nonsense. Like I said I have previous experience of the WI having attended 4 different branches and the East Dulwich WI is a bit of a joke and missing the point. Please understand that it is supposed to be a progressive group not a case of lets be quaint and pointless.

I think as a woman commenting on the women institute I have the right to comment. Unless you are hiding a pair of tits and a vagina behind that Jeremy then I don't think it has much to do with you.

I am thinking of starting up the Dulwich WI for people who fancy doing it properly.

elderflower Wrote:

>

> I think as a woman commenting on the women

> institute I have the right to comment. Unless you

> are hiding a pair of tits and a vagina behind that

> Jeremy then I don't think it has much to do with

> you.

I didn't think women liked to be identified simply by having a pair of tits or a vagina. I've just looked up the WI main website and it talks a lot about a purpose of education. Now call me old fashioned but I thought that meant teaching you something you didn't already know and I'd be happy to bet that most of the women attending EDWI didn't know how to make bunting before. So I can't see how that misses the point. Not all women want to be childless all their lives so it might come in handy one day. And maybe it was fun. Further up this thread it says that they use the bunting at their cake stall so it looks like it had a specific purpose.

Perhaps elderflower should indeed start up her own branch specifically for childless women who intend to remain barren and who don't like doing happy things.

Elderflower, I think I understand what you are getting at; I'm absolutely uninterested in crafting, knitting baking cupcakes or making bunting. HOwever, lots of people are and why shouldn't they have fun? I do agree that there are wider issues affecting women which other branches of the WI have been involved with but I don't think the EDWI was really set up for that. As far as I know, EDWI was set up as more of a social get-to-know-other-people-in-ED group as opposed to raising awareness or campaigning.

Must admit I don;t know much about the WI apart from the stereotypes - i.e. the Conservative Ladies Association in everything but name. Maybe the tea has been replaced by wine but that's about it. (sorry, I know times have moved on, but the stereotype remains...)

I am one of those "mums" that you have mentioned, but I don't believe that being a mother defines my whole life. Would be interested to hear any ideas you have for "contemporary" activities? PM me if you want to take this offline.

Great strapline on the WI website:

All kinds of opportunities for all kinds of women

I'm interested in the perception and reality aspect of this. The old, abiding popular image of the WI would seem to be promoted by craftmaking such as bunting. However, if you look at the website of the WI then you will find that it is at the leading edge of civil society organisations working on global issues that enable women to have solidarity on issues that they have common purpose on. I'd love there to be an ED WI that is involved in the social justice issues that the organisation has identified as key and relevant to us all.

"I think as a woman commenting on the women institute I have the right to comment. Unless you are hiding a pair of tits and a vagina behind that Jeremy then I don't think it has much to do with you.

I am thinking of starting up the Dulwich WI for people who fancy doing it properly."

Just a totally offensive and sexist comment. You are making 'your' Dulwich WI sound very unappealing indeed!

Well, East Dulwich has got its own WI so you can all join that one and I think I'll be fine with the rest of Dulwich.

I can not think of any other female traits which bond women other than anatomy because people have different on ideas on what defines them as a woman. I take your point though and I'd adapt it to just vagina as not everyone has a set of tits, sorry breasts.