Memorials and graves in Camberwell Old Cemetery

My father visited me earlier this week and we spent a interesting hour or so in Camberwell Old Cemetery. The main entrance is on Forest Hill Road.

There were 3 fascinating memorials there that I thought were worth telling people about.

In the war grave part of the cemetery, on your right as you go in through the main gates, is the grave of Able Seaman Albert McKenzie, winner of a VC in WW1. Unusually he was awarded the VC by ballot following the raid on Zeebrugge in 1918. Poignantly, although he recovered almost completely from the wounds he suffered during the action and was awarded the VC whilst alive, he died aged 19 in 1918 in the great flu epidemic.

There is a lot more info here www.mckenzie.uk.com/zeebrugge/

I have attached a photo of his grave (apologies for the quality of the photos - they were taken on my phone).

Close to the war graves section is a memorial to 3 members of the Armenian Hentchakist Party who were assasinated in 2 separate incidents in 1903. 2 of those remembered were shot somewhere on Peckham Rye, outside their party headquarters, but I haven't been able to find out where that would have been. The politics of the time are difficult to unravel at first glance but I believe the assasinations to be small incidents demonstrating a political instability in an area which a decade later would lead to the start of the Great War.

The memorial was a striking red marble obelisk on a inscribed plinth. Unfortunately the obelisk has toppled onto nearby graves. A pictures of this memorial is also attached.

Further into the cemetery in the central area is the grave of James John Berkeley. He was the chief engineer of the Great Indian Peninsular Railway. Originally an assistant to Robert Stephenson he was reponsible for the laying of lines across exceptionally difficult terrain with viaducts and tunnels being lasting memorials to the feats of engineering (and manpower). Rather than a grave I think the memorial is a mausoleum which was provided by the employees of the Great Indian Peninsular Railway which is inscribed with a tribute to the engineering ability of Mr Berkeley. The exact wording was interesting as it gave a real sense of the formality of the time and the admiration in which he was held. I will try to post it soon. He died in Sydenham a number of years after returning from India.

Again a picture of the memorial is attached.

Edited because I said left when I meant right

I have just read with great interest and appreciated what you have said about old camberwell cemetery. considering the war heroes that are buried there and memorials to them; it is a shame that there are only two men to maintain 40 acres of grounds on their own. complaints are regulary recieved directly to the two members of staff with regards to the upkeep and maintaince of the cemetery. I have witnessed this on several occassions whilst walking my dog in the cemetery. I have come across people complaining about the upkeep of individual grave stones, plots and. further support would be required to maintaince this cemetery to a standard that is acceptable to the general public. All complaints and comments should be forwarded to Southwark standard officer.

I love walking through the cemetery and read about all of the loved and interesting people who have passed away. What always makes me sad though are the unkept graves, I would really love to be able to tend them! I wonder if it is ok? Does anyone know? Or know who I would ask for permission? They would be cared for and I would feel happier to see them, and I could do some gardening! ( I miss that with my current flat.)They all should be looked after so many of them have touching stories with them...

• 3 months later...

"The politics of the time are difficult to unravel at first glance but I believe the assasinations to be small incidents demonstrating a political instability in an area which a decade later would lead to the start of the Great War."*~

Peckham's instability led to the great war? This is worrying, especially in the light of recent demonic chanting there. Eek!!

Though seriously, we are spoilt for those beautiful victorian graveyards around here, see Nunhead, West Norwood etc.

I find the war cemeteries in Nunhead absolutely heartbreaking I must say, so many young lads from all over the world. Tragic.

Took a couple of snaps myself

I must say Trinity, you've piqued my interest.

I here link an article from the New York times on Nov 5th 1903 about the murders you refer to, fascinating stuff and thanks for pointing out all this interesting history we have local to us.

It's in PDF format.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FA0F11FA3B5D16738DDDAC0894D9415B838CF1D3

Whilst I'm here I'll be hideously pedantic and say that Armenia isn't in the Balkans but the Caucasus, and though it's sort of related to Balkan troubles in that its related to the last days of Ottoman rule, the Caucasus wasn't a powder keg for the Great War, we have trouble in Serbia and environs to thank for that little number (I went to Sarajevo in 2004 and stood on the very spot as it happens, an amazing city and well worth a visit).

The Genocide of Armenians by the Ottomans however, witnessed and documented by German officials at the time, would go on to have a formative influence on Nazi policy makers in the Second World War and the far better known Holocaust.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Whilst I'm here I'll be hideously pedantic and say

> that Armenia isn't in the Balkans but the

> Caucasus.

How embarassing to get my Balkans and my Caucasus mixed up. In my defence, Armenian made me think genocide, made me think Turkey, made me think Balkans. :-$

I like the link to the NYT - thanks for that. There are some accounts of the murders on the times archive website but they charge for access to their archives.