Gristwood & Toms lorries parked in Colyton Road

Yesterday morning a large Gristwood & Toms lorry with trailer pulled into the bottom of Colyton Road I think from Forest Hill Road (just past the lights) and parked on double yellow lines, parallel to the park. As you can imagine this snarled up the traffic badly, it's a narrow road and the yellow lines are there for a reason. This morning they had done the same thing, and as I drove down towards the lights were coming back from the cafe with their breakfasts. I rolled down my window and asked why they were parking on double yellows because they had caused traffic congestion yesterday and again today. The driver told me to look at the front of his windscreen and I'd see he could park anywhere, I said he should get his breakfast somewhere where it didn't cause problems to other drivers. He got in his cab, I drove about 20 feet to wait at the red light. In my wing mirror I could then see him walking towards my car, so hurriedly closed my window. He came right up to my car, leant as close as he could and told me that he suggested that he mind my own business, it was nothing to do with me, and to keep my nose out. This was quite loud and while not actually menacing, I felt quite threatened. Despite feeling more than somewhat panicky, I again suggested he buy his breakfast elsewhere.

I'm now at work and still feeling slightly shaky - that's my route to work every morning, and I'm sure he'll remember me and my car.

So, my question is: Does Southwark give permits to its workforce to allow them to park anywhere, even if it's not for work? Can anything be done to prevent this anti-social man and his huge lorry causing problems at a busy junction?

Can anybody offer any help please?

I wouldn't worry too much about him remembering you - if it's a busy junction there will be far too many cars going past for him to notice one in particular, and this sort of bully will have too many people to remember - I'm sure you're not the only one he's been nasty to this week. I'm certain Southwark doesn't have the powers to issue a permit to park anywhere for any purpose - I would expect it to be limited to carrying out duties relating to necessary works (which doesn't include breakfast). If you can find an email address of the company, write to them giving as much detail as you can - make it clear that his actions could cause an accident. Companies that do works for local authorities are very careful of annoying the public as any complaints can be taken into account when assessing tenders for future contracts. Alternatively, contact the police, as any dangerous parking that may cause an accident will be followed up.

Highway Code Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance

anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

near the brow of a hill or hump bridge

opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle

where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane

where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

in front of an entrance to a property

on a bend

where you would obstruct cyclists? use of cycle facilities

Phone them up - ask to speak to either Dave Gristwood or Andy Toms (they're the directors) and explain what happened. Clearly he doesn't need to lose his job over this etc but it's about time that people are held accountable for their (bullying) actions on the road - and you know what he's stupid enough to have done that when in a company-marked lorry. It reflects badly on their company so I'm sure they'll have a word with him and maybe he'll think twice again.

Have just called. Mr. Toms and Mr Gristwood not in the office at present, but will be back today. I spoke to a chap called Mark who was very pleasant and has said that he will call the contract manager in Croydon. I've left my mobile phone number as well, so they may call me back at some point.

Thank you all for helpful posts. I'll let you know if and when I hear more.

I have this morning had a phone call from the contracts manager for Gristwood & Toms in Croydon and was told that the invididual in question had been working for a trial period, there had been a number of other incidents, and a decision was taken to dispense with his services. I said that I was sorry that I had caused this man to lose his job, but was assured that this was just the last of a number of things they weren't happy with, and if you're not on your best behaviour when you're in a trial period, then when are you.

I can only applaud the speedy and serious way that G&T have responded to this situation.