Massive Police thing on Dog Kennel Hill

Is there a plain white van with cameras protruding out of the back windows, parked down the road from the operation? If there is, it's probably an ANPR op, tackling drivers with no insurance, outstanding fines or pulling over vehicles with links to criminal activity. There's often one set up by the Oval, on Vauxhall Bridge or behind Buck Pal.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there a plain white van with cameras protruding

> out of the back windows, parked down the road from

> the operation? If there is, it's probably an ANPR

> op, tackling drivers with no insurance,

> outstanding fines or pulling over vehicles with

> links to criminal activity. There's often one set

> up by the Oval, on Vauxhall Bridge or behind Buck

> Pal.

Haven't seen one but will keep an eye out, wondered if it was something like that

kford Wrote:

> Is there a plain white van with cameras protruding

> out of the back windows, parked down the road from

> the operation? If there is, it's probably an ANPR

> op, tackling drivers with no insurance,

> outstanding fines or pulling over vehicles with

> links to criminal activity. There's often one set

> up by the Oval, on Vauxhall Bridge or behind Buck

> Pal.

You're spot on kford - there is a camera van parked further down the road.

I never realised those camera vans could check a number plate with DVLA and from that and tell the colour of the driver, decide whether the car's nice or not, then issue an order to stop the vehicle. Technology these days truly is amazing.

Mark Wrote:

> I never realised those camera vans could check a

> number plate with DVLA and from that and tell the

> colour of the driver, decide whether the car's

> nice or not, then issue an order to stop the

> vehicle. Technology these days truly is amazing.

The one I saw behind Buckingham Palace had stopped mainly eastern-European types. Maybe it was a different model of camera.

Get over your racists digs. The police are there to track down criminals and help keep the community safe. Stop giving them a hard time. If East Dulwich had any of the problems of its neighbouring constituencies then you'd have something to moan about. Whilst it remains to be a pleasant place to live with minimal criminal activity, be thankful we have police keeping it this way.

See I thought ANPR only looked for number plates committing a driving offence. If they got pulled over it was because they had no tax, MOT, insurance or all three or were linked to criminal activity. Police regularly stop foreign plates too because foreign drivers often don't have the correct licence or haven't re-registered their car in the UK which they are required to do after being resident here (for six months I think). I had no idea that in an area as multi-ethnic as this one that ANPR actually factored in ethnic origin too. Wow! >:D

The ANPR does beep for no road tax, because sometimes, a car that has no tax also has no legal driver too. And I think it's a 60 fine for no tax and/or MOT and uninsured is a ?200 fine plus six points plus seizure of the car until you can produce valid insurance (and the cost of getting it out from the pound). The only thig it doesn't catch is the illegal driver in a car that is insured and registered, taxed etc to someone else. That's where the Police will use discretion to pull over vehicles that pass the ANPR but they feel are worth checking out the driver. Either way, they catch lots of drivers when they do the ANPR road block things - so there's definitely a need to do them.

king kong Wrote:

> Police pulling over young black guys with nice

> cars?

>

> Probably all guilty of that very serious offence

> of "DWB" (driving whilst black).

>

> Institutional racism is still rife within the met,

> and will be for a long time.

ANPR also picks up on firearms/drugs markers from the Met CAD (Computer Aided Despatch). Many of these are hire cars used as Gang 'pool' vehicles

Also happy to see this in operation, as a long standing ED resident driving home. Only criticism would be where they chose to stop the offending vehicles, which was just short of the turning for Sainsburys.

This caused a bit of a bottleneck well beyond ED Rail Station

All the stops would have been justified with a stop slip at the very least, detailing the reasons. I know, having been the recipient of several.

King Kong, hope this alleviates the mahoosive anti-Met chip on your shoulder

Should have read the previous posts properly!

It's a shame that it would appear that it was mainly black young men that were getting flagged, interpret that how you want.

I honestly can't remember ever seeing a 'white' car being pulled over and searched. Just the other day however I was sat enjoying a Kebab outside kebab and wine when the cops pulled over a probably 19 ish year old black lad in a new looking Astra. Searched him, and the car, and then let him go on his way. What was all that about then, poor fella.

I never worry when I'm pulled over, I have tax, insurance, mot, and own the car, and I'm not "right at it".

I felt rather flattered that possibly I was up to something, sigh, those were the days.

It was only a couple of minutes out of my day then I was told to continue my journey,

but they thought I was a dodgy driver working for a dodgy club.

KidKruger Wrote:

> if someone looks dodgy you pull em, simples.

>

> KingKong you need to meet (and possibly even ARE)

> Eater 81......

i don't get why someone suggesting that black people are disproportionately stopped and searched is seen as saying something controversial, it's fact ain't it?