ED trains to Croydon Ikea area

I am utterly confused by the trains. I just got a job by Waddon Marsh tram link, near the Ikea, etc. But I've no idea how to get in to work. I'd be on shifts, so some mornings and some afternoons, any day of the week.

All the trains seem to be different. Sundays I can go to East Croydon, mornings Wimbledon. I don't really understand. Does anyone know a simple quick route to get there all times of the week?

Also, can I get just a normal zone 3-5 travelcard? Or do I have to get something special?

I was training up there. I found the 197 to Croydon and then the tram was the quickest easiest way without changing too many times! The quickest way it told me on TFL tho was p13 to Herne Hill then the train and a tram was pretty long winded!

As previous posts have shown, there are loads of ways of doing this journey and I suspect some will be better (or less bad) than others. Here are my ideas.

- East Dulwich to Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction then tram

- 37 Bus to Herne hill then train to Mitcham Junction then tram

- East Dulwich or Forest Hill / Honor Oak Park to West Croydon might be possible, but be warned that the tram is one way via West Croydon so it will be a longer journey on way out than back.

have you tried the TfL journey planner? check out http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

This gives you all possible routes depending on the time you need to travel.

from my experience, the quickest route is train to Mitcham Junction and then tram to Waddon Marsh tram stop (see OutofFocus's suggestion). This'll take anything from 40 mins to around 60 mins depending on your connections.

But taking the bus will of course be cheaper. Good luck!

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Helicopter Goose Green to IKEA Car park ... 4-6

> mins. ;-)

THIS! Anyone want to buy me a helicopter? :-P

I think this is going to be a long commute. TFL comes up with ED to Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction to Waddon Marsh. It'd probably be quicker to buy a car! If I miss one train I'm screwed! Sunday is easy though, trains to East Croydon make it faster.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'd recommend you go via Wimbledon personally, that's how I've done it in the past

the train goes directly to wimbledon from east dulwich in the mornings... later on you'd have travel via herne hill (quick ride on the 37).

then it's a short tram trip from wimbledon station - last platform

simples :-)

What about getting a pushbike?

Then whatever departure/arrival station would be within easy range.

If you got a folding one you can take it on any train/Overground any time, but you'll be going against the flow so you could probably take a normal-sized one on (best check before heading for the bike shop/eBay!)

I nearly did this journey yesterday but got stuck at a mate's. Was going for either train from T Hill or 201 bus from Thurlow Pk Rd and then tram.

Play around with the TfL journey planner. Remember to set the walking speed to fast! (I'm being presumptuous here, I know).