Petrol Thefts

TJ

Just as a warning to whoever is pinching petrol, I was going to scrap my ancient & knackered scooter, but changed my mind. Its all taxed, insured and filled right up with diesel.

Help yourself.

It's happened 3 times to me now and right after i've filled it up. It realy gets on my nerves as they pull the whole fuel line right out and it costs to get that repaired. Was going to sit up one night and hoe to catch them but what night do you stay up.

geeza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's happened 3 times to me now and right after

> i've filled it up. It realy gets on my nerves as

> they pull the whole fuel line right out and it

> costs to get that repaired. Was going to sit up

> one night and hoe to catch them but what night do

> you stay up.

You were going to prostitute yourself one night in the hope of catching petrol thieves?!?! You be careful!

Sorry couldn't resist! ;-)

SNT - They came to see me, only after I had to get local councillors involved (they ignored a dozen calls over 2 months) I contacted anyone I could find who had ben affected by vehicle crime and had reported the crime. The SNT initially tried to deny anyone in SE22 had reported a vehicle crime, until I proved I had reported 3 thefts and had letters to prove a further dozen.... They promised to come back to me within the month.

Silence. Not even a cursory appology that they are not pursuing it further.

I am sorry that I have to say this, as I was a supporter of the initiative, but Staff Sergent Charlatan & his buddies are more concerned about getting the next cuppa in then fighting crime or getting involved with any difficult to solve crimes.

Feet up chaps. ConDem cuts heading your way.

Peckham Rye ward SNT have been really good. They have always responded and by going to ward panel meetings, residents have helped to shape policing priorities between meetings. We'd be very sad to see that service go. Sounds like your SNT is the opposite.

These days you can by a wireless surveillance camera, the size of a sugar cube, for about ?35 (just connect it to a video or DVD recorder or PC even). That's one way to catch anyone stealing petrol from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Again last night - will report it for the 50th time and as usual the police will say they are not aware of a pattern (ridicolous).

Then I will get the usual phone call from the crime prevention officer asking if I do not have a garage to park the scooter in at night and my reply will be along the lines of...'a garage has not magically appeared since the last time we spoke three weeks ago (and the 3 weeks prior to that and etc etc) as the restricted space in front of my house does not allow me to build such a structure and unfortunately I do not expect this space to spontaneously expand over the coming months'

(6):X

Everyone who has lost fuel to these thieving gits if you have not bothered to report it,

please go today and report the thefts and then they will take your address and the boys in blue can put stickers on a map to determine the area it is most likely to happen, and where to patrol in the future.

I've PM'd several people that are saying they've had fuel stolen. They've told me that they haven't reported it to the Police.

It really is crazy to moan about theft on this forum but not be bothered to report it.

If you genuinely are bothered by such a theft then please report it to the Police AND THEN tell people on this forum.

Yep = petrol stolen from our scooter again last night too. A whole ?2 worth, my husband thinks. What IS the point???

I actually noticed that it had happened in the middle of the night (but didn't actually catch the culprits) so we reported it to the non-emergency number then and there. They said they would forward it to the right police station telephone investigation team.

I did see a police 4X4 drive slowly past this morning, so perhaps they are looking into it. But snowman, like you, we don't have a garage, and aren't going to get one in the near future. So pretty much stymied. Next plan is to just put enough fuel in it each day to get to work and back, so that (we hope) they will just give up if after a few tries they don't get anything.

James

thanks for your contribution, I fully agree with you, people affected should report the issue to the police otherwise there won't be much they can do.

On a side note, is there a way to make the council CCTV department aware of this issue? I only ask as one of the standard questions from the police every time I report this crime is if there is any CCTV in the vicinity. From posts on an earlier thread it appears that the majority of these theft is specific to a certain area and it might be useful to investigate the feasibility of installing (even temporarily - not sure if this is technically possible) a CCTV camera in a strategic location?

Initially I thought it might only be local kids trying to save a few quids on petrol, but the extent and regularity of these occurrences (and the fact that cars/vans are also targeted)is making me wonder if this is a more 'organised' operation? I might be wrong tough.

Another solution the police offered was to install our own CCTV. I know you can get cameras for a reasonable price, but there's the hassle of fitting them etc. And would the police actually be able to use any film as evidence, or realistically be bothered, for such 'petty' crime? (Though after several incidents in the last couple of months, it all adds up).

We need police action !

This is organised - and its gone from ?2 scooter fuel to cars/vans now. Its happening too regularly & its always between midnight and the early hours. This is a nice earner for someone and its been on the going on for months. Petrol is too heavy to carry around - especially of you've taken gallons of the stuff from a van, so i'd imagine these nice people are driving around syphoning off & loading onto the back of a car/truck. You can't carry full petrol cans easy on foot/bike/scooter. CCTV may not catch the culprit - but it will get the vehicle registration plate .. that's IF the police can be bothered (which they clearly can't) to put a camera up around the Upland Rd, Goodrich Rd & Mamora Rd Triangle.

James - can you suggest CCTV to the police ? This is getting ridiculous. I reckon they'd catch someone in a fortnight.

• 3 weeks later...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've PM'd several people that are saying they've

> had fuel stolen. They've told me that they haven't

> reported it to the Police.

> It really is crazy to moan about theft on this

> forum but not be bothered to report it.

> If you genuinely are bothered by such a theft then

> please report it to the Police AND THEN tell

> people on this forum.

It may seem a little crazy, but for those of us who have actually reported burglary in progress (while the resident is present) to a police station not 100 yards away, only to be roundly rebuffed... and then who have had to face face to face threats of the 'we know where you live' variety from 'equipped' supporters of the crim in question while attending court as witnesses... etc. etc.... maybe not so crazy...