Squirrel on the menu at Franklins according to BBC

Just watched the 10 o'clock news which was running a piece on how squirrel meat is making a comeback....

To my surprise they said that Franklins (Yes, they mentioned East Dulwich! Woop woop!) was serving up this rare 'delicacy' which was, they assured the viewer, very popular in Victorian times!!!

I guess I was just curious to know if anyone had actually had it? Just wonder what it would taste like, I suppose....?!

Re: panther on the loose in Dulwich Wood? Posted by: DulwichFox July 27, 12:28PM

I have walked through Dulwich Wood many times, explorering

the many paths. I am always amazed at the lack of wildlife.

I have seen a few pigeons and crows. I have never seen a fox

or even a squirrel.

I rest my case. :))

Otto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've eaten squirrel. It was non-eventful.

>

> Otto

So have I and that was exactly what I thought. You can tell just by looking at a squirrel that they haven't exactly got a lot of meat on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Franklins should really stick to the basics; went for dinner there recently and was served rubber-like mini Scallops. When asked why the Scallops were so thin, the waitress informed me that they were running out so were cutting them in half to cope with the demand (nice business sense - but wholly short sighted!)The whole meal was bland, dull and lacking in seasoning and expensive. To top it off the owner was totally dis-interested in receiving constructive critism; instead he tucked into what looked like a fish and chip take away meal in the corner of the restaurant..running before walking is business suicide if he is to retain the local support.

My birthday treat at Franklins was a starter of lobster, prawns, fennel and salad - superb. To follow calve's liver with black pudding - again superb. Wine was fine - tho' noted the mark up was a whopping 100%. Overall - a very good meal. Mrs MM enjoyed her Barnsley Chop and was happy to pay using her Premium Bond winnings (first time ever they have exceeded ?50)

Really enjoyed my meal at Franklins last month, and the portions were good for the price. Didn't notice any squirrel on the menu, but I'd have no problem eating it.

100% markup on wine is very good, sounds too good to be true actually. 200% is commonplace, 300% in posher places.

I have to say I haven't been overwhelmed by Franklins. We've been there quite a few times for brekkie, lunch and dinner but always walked away feeling like we have burnt a hole in our wallets and only had a mediocre meal as a result. I have seen squirrel on the menu earlier this year - saw one of the other tables have it but didn't feel tempted at all so stuck to my duck which was too dry to eat ....hmmmmnnn!:(

expat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >We've been there quite a few times

> Why do you keep going back if you do not like it?

Well I guess its giving a place a go with its award winning breakfasts and tantalising lunches and dinners....or sadly its not having a choice when friends or family want to 'try it out'. I know there are much better places to go to now I have explored what ED has to offer.