My bike's been stolen - let me know if you see it

If you happen to see my bike lying around abandoned please let me know.

It got stolen from outside my house on Goodrich Road around 4.30/ 5am this morning. My husband heard someone this morning taking it (in his slumber thought it was me going off to work!). Only when he looked out the window did he see it being ridden down towards Barry Rd.

I know I was asking for it as it was locked outside the house - on our side of the wall - but it was not a fancy bike at all. I did not think it would be attractive to theives as it is a ladies frame and big and heavy. Plus it is rusty.

Anyway it is sort of purple and brown colour frame and is Barracuda brand.

It is a ladies frame and has a rack on the back.

It was my trusty work bike.

As I say, I know I was pretty much asking for it so I am in no way going to have a rant about bike thieves. Just thought I would take opportunity to post incase someone does happen to see it lying around. They went from our bit of Goodrich Road towards Barry Rd in the direction of Lordship Lane.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter where or how you left it - doesn't give anyone the right to steal it. Might be worth you checking some of the local shops that sell second hand bikes - in case it turns up there....otherwise it sounds pretty distinctive, and I cycle everywhere so will keep an eye out in case I overtake it :)).....I'm sure others will do the same.

No-one ever abandons them - that will be worth ?20 to someone, it's probably in Deptford by now.

The other popular thing is to take them to scrapyards - not sure of the going rate but it's > ?0 - mate once turned up a perfectly rideable Cannondale in a scrapyard, thieves aren't really bothered about value.

I'd also check Gumtree, as it's essentially a legalised 'fence'.

Not much help until you get a replacement but the police are running cycle registration sessions over the next month although mainly in town - some around London Bridge and some in the Mall. They are free... and get your bike frame a sticker to say it's been registered and the details entered on their database. At least that way, if it is nicked and recovered at some point, they have some chance of getting it back to you. There was an interesting piece a few weeks back on Londoncyclist saying that they'd spent a day with the cycle police who had stopped someone for cycling dangerously and were pretty sure it was a nicked bike that he was on. But because it wasn't listed, they couldn't do much.

A similar thing happened to us at around 4am on a Wednesday a couple of weeks ago. Both of our bikes were padlocked in a bike shed outside the front of our house in SE22 and stolen from right under our noses.

We were woken by the noise of the lock being broken through outside our bedroom window but they were already making off. The police arrived within a couple of minutes but sadly too late to catch the pair of pikey little hoodies.

Beware - they are obviously scouting the area for 'easy' targets and returning in the middle of the night.

The only lock worth getting is something like a Squire D-lock (which had a flat key not tube). Padlocks are extremely easy to break as too are cheaper D-Locks. The squire I use cost me almost ?100 in todays money, but I haven't had a bicyle stolen in more than 15 years since I got it.

The Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit gets pretty good reviews too - and Amazon had a great deal on them a while back. Under ?50 rather than over ?80. Only bad thing is that it is quite a small D - so it's less useful if you're not sure where you're going to lock your bike and have to hope for something you can squeeze it around.