Dulwich Leisure Centre - Memories campaign

In the run up to the re-opening of the Dulwich Leisure Centre in September I am putting together a 'Memories' campaign. I am very keen to speak with anyone that has memories of using the Dulwich Baths since it opened on 25 June 1891. For example:

a) Celebrations held at the baths - weddings, christenings or historical announcements

b) War time use of the baths

c) Use of the first and second class pools and washing facilities

c) Olympic training/ Guinness Book of Record attempts, swimming galas

or something else perhaps covered by the media of its time?

I would be delighted to speak with people if they believe they are the longest user of the swimming baths, or have used it for a quirky reason other than swimming!

The reason for this request is that the best archive footage, photos, stories, people I can pool together (sorry about the pun!) I will be sharing with local TV, radio and the press in the run up to the re-opening and indeed well after. So please send me an email with your story and contact details and will be back to you within 24 hours or sooner. A picture says a 1000 words, so if you have a photo, old newspaper or even footage to support your story then that would be brilliant!

You can contact me at: [email protected]

I have to move rather quickly with this campaign and have all my editorials ready by early September, so please don't delay if you've got a story to share then send it over as soon as possible. Ask family and friends that used to live nearby, local residents - anyone with a smashing story to tell!

Best regards

Jules

Julie Vindis - Stakeholder Communications Manager

Investing in Leisure Programme - Southwark Council

Oh don't be so downhearted about it. Unfortunately there has been a delay in the re-opening of the pool - see web link for Frequently Asked Questions - http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2353/leisure_investment_frequently_asked_questions

By September you will be swimming once again at Dulwich - and you will gasp at its splendour! :))

If you are keen to look back in time then please help us with any historical or interesting stories about the baths - who knows you might be on TV come September?

Jules

This extract is from Andy McNab's autobiography, "Immediate Action":

At the age of fourteen I was starting to get all hormonal and trying to impress the girls that I was clean and hygienic ... I also started to have a shower every night down at Goose Green swimming baths. It cost 5p for the shower and a towel, 2p for soap and 2p for a little sachet of shampoo. (c. 1973)

Ref Chener Books, yep thanks for the heads up on Polly Bird's book we've got a copy already - lots of useful observations in there. In fact I've just got her contact details and am about to pick up the phone to see if she'd like to add any more.

Ref Smiler and Sandperson - Very soon the refurbishment of the pool will be finished and we look forward to welcoming you back. It'll be worth waiting for!

Hi Julie

In the 1930's my Grandad used to play in a dance band and organise dances held at the baths. We have a number of tickets (the ones that didn't sell) that I can offer up. I was actually holding on to them to give to the baths at some point. I believe that the new years dances were very popular. It always makes me think of 'It's A Wonderful Life' when the swimming pool is covered over for the ball.

I'll speak to my Uncle and Dad too to see if they have any memories or other items.

Let me know if you are interested.

Katrina x

Hi Katrina,

Oh yes please to the tickets, and indeed any other memorabilia from that time. If you are local to the baths you could drop a package into their reception and I'll pick it up, copy whatever you want back and arrange for it to be returned to you.

If your uncle and/or dad want to contribute an actual experience then please ask them to email me directly on: [email protected] - we will be making a selection to publish on the web site during early September.

Thanks ever-so much.

Jules

• 1 month later...

Hi Julie

I'm not sure if you've already completed your memories campaign...... but my Nan used to use the public baths during the War.

She featured on television in 1998 when there was a report on Dulwich Baths (London's oldest swimming pool, Dulwich Public Baths). She also featured in a two page pullout in a newspaper as she was one of the last remaining users of the baths.

PM me if you you're interested.

Also...my mum said that if you were a user of the public baths during the war and wanted more hot water in your bath...you would have to shout out "more hot water please". The assistant sitting outside the bathroom would then be heard saying "ok more hot water in number 11" and so on....