Bouncers Security. On Lordship Lane

On this same(ish) topic, anyone else noticed that the clientle in the Bishop has been going down recently? Never been out in ED and felt threatened in any way but seems like there's a few rough geezers/gobby chavs now calling The Bish their own.

Or maybe I'm just getting old!

UnderhillOliver Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> anyone else noticed that the clientle in the Bishop has been going down recently?

On Friday/Saturday, yes. But not just the Bishop, it's the whole "strip".

Morning all,

I would like to thank UnderhillOliver and felt-tip for their observations.

DJKillaQueen is completely right with her comments regarding the necessity to have security personnel as a part of our licensing.

During these past 5 and a half years, we have worked extremely dilligently to try and eradicate certain 'groups' that have been mentioned already on this thread, and on the most part, with relative success. I can assure you that I take these concerns very seriously, shall be monitoring this situation very closely.

The security staff have a pretty small brief with regards to their responsibilities, so there is absolutely no excuse for standards being dropped.

If anybody else has any further concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Many thanks, Neil

No way? I don't recall the area being like this, but then I only moved in 5 years ago...I must admit I don't go out in the evening round here any more. Last time I did walk down Lordship Lane on a Friday/ Sat night I couldn't help noting how it seemed a bit boozy, rough and ready. Not that I mind boozing...be nice to have a good old-fashioned, local pub with good beers etc etc

For that reason I much prefer the Pheonix and the Cambria...but Lordship Lane would be nearer.

They aren?t rough boozers in the old sense of what that meant, and pretty much all of them are fine for most of the week

But what happens on a Friday or Saturday night is becoming more like what happens across the UK (and Ireland, and in increasing numbers of towns in Europe) in town centres where bars are grouped together ? they aren?t rough boozers themselves but there is a collective gathering of people for whom getting smashed is the whole purpose of the evening. That can happen anywhere and has happened to many people on here. But when a tipping-point in numbers of people is reached it can change the atmosphere of a place ? and that?s what we have on LL for a few hours each weekend

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> They aren?t rough boozers in the old sense of what

> that meant, and pretty much all of them are fine

> for most of the week

>

> But what happens on a Friday or Saturday night is

> becoming more like what happens across the UK (and

> Ireland, and in increasing numbers of towns in

> Europe) in town centres where bars are grouped

> together ? they aren?t rough boozers themselves

> but there is a collective gathering of people for

> whom getting smashed is the whole purpose of the

> evening. That can happen anywhere and has happened

> to many people on here. But when a tipping-point

> in numbers of people is reached it can change the

> atmosphere of a place ? and that?s what we have on

> LL for a few hours each weekend

Fair enough I have felt that change in other places but honestly have never felt a bad atmosphere caused by what you say in any pub in east dulwich

I?d agree with you too ? if I?m inside drinking then things never feel bad. I just notice it on the streets.. esp the corner of Payless as people hit the cold air and pick up ?supplies? or people unable to digest that late night kebab

For clarity, I'm not knocking any pubs at all here. Just observing the atmos come closing time on the Lane

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> I?d agree with you too ? if I?m inside drinking

> then things never feel bad. I just notice it on

> the streets.. esp the corner of Payless as people

> hit the cold air and pick up ?supplies? or people

> unable to digest that late night kebab

>

> For clarity, I'm not knocking any pubs at all

> here. Just observing the atmos come closing time

> on the Lane

Aye fair enough I guess I have seen a bit of argy attitude after chuck out time, what you say about the kebab is the worst part for me, often find myself dodging pavement vomit piles on the way into work on saturday morning...

Claire35 Wrote:

> It's the requirement for bouncers that bothers me.

> No harm getting drunk of a weekend, but not to the

> extent that we need bouncers to protect people

> from themselves. Ah well...I'll admit middle age

> and go somewhere else...ha ha

As some have already said, bouncers are a legal requirement of many licenses for pretty much all bars, even if they are not entirely necessary, there are plenty of bars on the lane that don't have poeple who need "protecting from themselves" as customers, but still have bouncers as they are required ot in order to retain their licenses.