Found: Cash hanging out of cashpoint

Dano

I did wait, and the cash was not taken back (it was only just hanging in there anyway so I doubt the machine had much purchase). I took it into the shop (not bank) the cashpoint is situated outside but they didn't seem interested in taking it, hence the post.

dv1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How exactly do you think the bank will be able to

> figure out who the money belongs to? It is fairly

> basic technology. Cashpoint dispenses money.

> Cashpoint no longer interested, neither will bank

> be.

xxxxxxxxxx

How come my bank statements have a record of the amount of money I have taken from ATMs, and when, then?

Forgive me for being thick :)

Sue Wrote:

> dv1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How exactly do you think the bank will be able

> to

> > figure out who the money belongs to? It is

> fairly

> > basic technology. Cashpoint dispenses money.

> > Cashpoint no longer interested, neither will

> bank

> > be.

>

> xxxxxxxxxx

>

> How come my bank statements have a record of the

> amount of money I have taken from ATMs, and when,

> then?

>

> Forgive me for being thick :)

Sue,

It's quite simple - the statement will record that you, or someone, took the money out of the machine - but - there is no way it can record whether or not you actually took it out of the dispenser or left it there for the next person. It is not the bank's responsibility. End of.

Dano Wrote:

> I did wait, and the cash was not taken back (it

> was only just hanging in there anyway so I doubt

> the machine had much purchase).

Most interesting... will remember that it doesn't always 'suck' back in again then. I think you've done all you can - only other thing I can think of is contacting the bank that runs that cashpoint if you know which it is.

Good on you for proposing to give it to charity if not claimed though...

dv1 Wrote:

> Sue,

>

> It's quite simple - the statement will record that

> you, or someone, took the money out of the machine

> - but - there is no way it can record whether or

> not you actually took it out of the dispenser or

> left it there for the next person. It is not the

> bank's responsibility. End of.

xxxxxxxx

No, of course it won't record whether or not you took the money out! And of course it's not the bank's responsibility if someone forgets to take their money!

But what I meant was, the bank who owns the cash machine will presumably have a record of who made what transaction at what time, so that the owner of the money could be traced.

I don't think it will suck the money back in. Neither will it suck the card back in, if you leave it in the slot.

I'm not sure you'll get anywhere trying to return the money to the bank either, seeing as you don't know who the person banked with. By all means speak with the operator of the cash point, but frankly, I doubt they'll give a toss.

Excuse me for chipping in, but i found a wallet a couple of months ago on the no 40 bus (dilema). After many debates i handed it into the police exactly how it was, tried to contact the person on facebook (success....he replied) and i believe the owner and wallet are happily united now. Do with it what you hope someone would do if it was your money they had found.......which charity would you give it to if you did?? p.s sorry for being nosey.

I once left my card in a cash machine at Sainsburrys and the machine did swallow it after several minutes. So link machines do swallow cards accidently left in them.

When you withdraw money, your bank not only knows how much and when etc, it also knows WHERE you withdrew from. Every cash machine has it's own number so Sue is quite right in that with a few details a bank would be able to find the owner of the money.

I think the OP is saying thst it's one of those cash machines inside or outside a shop in which case it will be owned by a private company that supplies and maintains those machines. They would be the people to contact and they would be able to read the data from the machine to locate the bank etc. It's a bit of a hassle and probably only worth doing if the money is a significant amount I guess.

hi some cash points do pull cards and cash back in-think it just depends on the machine, ive def had it happen to me and I cntacted the bank and they returned it to me after a couple of days once machines had been counted, records checked etc. However it was a cashpoint in a bank and not one outside a shop so maybe that is the difference.

I think if you hand it in to police and its not claimed after so long it will be given back to you to keep or to donate whatever you decide to do with it, then it wouldnt be theft as it had been reported. maybe its worth taking to the station if you dont get any luck on here.

I think dano should spend many hours of his free time attempting to track down whatever idiot left the money in the machine, it is after all, his responsibility as the next person to use the machine to make sure all previous customers have taken their money/card.

DirtyBox Wrote:

> I think dano should spend many hours of his free

> time attempting to track down whatever idiot left

> the money in the machine,

xxxxxxx

Well, maybe there's two kinds of people in the world, DirtyBox.

Those who would do that, and those who wouldn't.

DirtyBox Wrote:

> I think dano should spend many hours of his free

> time attempting to track down whatever idiot left

> the money in the machine,

xxxxxxx

Well, maybe there's two kinds of people in the world, DirtyBox.

Those who would do that, and those who wouldn't.

Sarcasm - the rhetorical device of using a characterization of something or someone in order to express contempt

dv1 Wrote:

> How exactly do you think the bank will be able to

> figure out who the money belongs to? It is fairly

> basic technology. Cashpoint dispenses money.

> Cashpoint no longer interested, neither will bank

> be.

Not so, once inexplicably I was chatting away and walked off with my card and not my money. Thought no more of it until i went to pay for my lunch. I went back to the bank expecting nothing at all but they took my details and the amount as they tally the amounts at the end of the day. Fortunately the money was "sucked back in" and the tally showed they were over by the same amount that I "withdrew" so it was credited, so happy to say the big evil bank was actually helpful and interested.