Traffic on Lordship Lane (Roadworks at Forest Hill end)

On Friday the South Circular collapsed on one side. They opened it up and found little holding the road up on both lanes.

I've been told it will take two weeks to rectify. So guess that means another eight days of traffic chaos if you're trying to use the South circular towards the east.

Thankfully non of our residential streets will be affected by the diversions around the problem.

The sewer collapse in Forest Hill is in addition to the numerous holes in the road along Lordship Lane because of the gas main works - the temporary traffic lights just multiply. I've had a grand tour on the 185 today as Grove Vale is also closed off due to the sad accident.

According to TFL...

LONDON ROAD SE23, ROUTES 176 185 197 356: Until Friday 3 September buses will be on diversion and subject to delays due to emergency road works.

Stops being missed:

Horniman Museum

Honor Oak Road

Forest Hill Station /London Rd

Forest Hill Stn / Dartmouth Rd

Dartmouth Road /Thorpewood Ave

Sydenham Police Station

Sydenham Rise

Heathedge / Kirkdale

Kirkdale

Mount Ash Road

176 197 buses will be diverting via Sydenham Hill and Kirkdale.

185 buses will be diverting via Sydenham Hill, Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road.

356 buses will be diverting via Dartmouth Road.

I?m SO glad I knew about all of this when I got a train back from Surrey Quays to Forest Hill on Monday

If I didn?t know about it.. and I did, I definitely did, I might have walked to the bus stop outside The Capitol before realising the road was closed. And then I might have walked back towards Sydenham thinking I can catch a bus there. And that bus stop on Dartmouth Rd by the library must be one of the longest gaps between bus stops in London at the best of times.

And then, because there was no notices on that bus stop I MIGHT have waited oooh 30 mins for a bus before giving up and heading for a cab office

And I might have been a tad hacked off

But thankfully all of that was bypassed, because, as I say, I did know about this already.

then you won't need to pay too much notice then eh sean ;-)

There are some in this world, however hard to believe, may not already have such knowledge as yourself and they may be a little confused standing at one of the above stops complaining at how bad public transport is these days when theyve been waiting for a bus to arrive for a good 2 hours... as I said hard to believe!

Roll on the 3rd eh :p

I walked past the sewer collapse yesterday at 3.30pm and there was not a soul to be seen working. I walked along Lordship Lane today at 12.30 then back again at 2.30 between Court Lane and the Plough and guess what...not a workman in sight both times. There was however some seriously long tail backs. It doesn't take much to figure out why it's going to take weeks to complete the repairs.

The more worrying thing about this though is the lack of pedestrian crossing at The Plough because of the temporary lights. It?s a very busy crossing, particularly for children and as an adult I found it very unsafe today. There is a sign telling drivers to watch out for pedestrians so are we to assume this is the only safety precaution that has been taken since the terrible tragedy that occurred earlier this year at the temporary lights at Peckham?

The Peckham intersection road works took far longer than expected and not a lot of work was seen to be going on. There was no safe way to cross the road. A child lost her life. A lesson learned...? It doesn?t appear so.

GinaG3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also notice people jumping the Plough temporary

> lights, how silly. BE CAREFUL!!!

Yup - I stopped at these on Tuesday with two other cars in front of me, and the joker behind me pulled out and ran the [very red] lights.

Like Jah I'm walking to Forest Hill rather then getting a cheeky bus and it's doing me good... There's a childish pleasure in walking in the road, I almost want to kick a ball about using the lines of the grids for goals. It must be great for the people on the stretch of London Road in Forest Hill who normally have a very major road on their doorstep.

If I was them I'd have a street party - they'll never get another chance..

The whole thing is a nightmare, in addition to the smell of gas that comes out of the hole directly opposite my house, my family and I now have to put up with a pretty constant static queue of traffic pumping out fumes directly into my front garden.

There are definitely gas smells down by the Plough.

And a total lack of workmen along the entire stretch, except for one on the 'outside' of the works, leaning on the fence to admire the massive holes on the other side.

Once again, the pedestrians are getting a raw deal... your life in their hands etc.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

Funny you should mention this Sean.

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?m SO glad I knew about all of this when I got a

> train back from Surrey Quays to Forest Hill on

> Monday

>

Likewise, I'm SO glad I knew about all of this when I tried to get a bus from LL to Crystal Palace that Sunday afternoon (i.e. several days after the incident).

> If I didn?t know about it.. and I did, I

> definitely did, I might have walked to the bus

> stop outside The Capitol before realising the road

> was closed. And then I might have walked back

> towards Sydenham thinking I can catch a bus there.

> And that bus stop on Dartmouth Rd by the library

> must be one of the longest gaps between bus stops

> in London at the best of times.

>

Likewise, I might have walked up LL to the bus stop, before realising that all buses were on diversion *from after that stop*

> And then, because there was no notices on that bus

> stop I MIGHT have waited oooh 30 mins for a bus

> before giving up and heading for a cab office

Likewise, I might have waited 1 hour for a bus, only to find that the few 363s that came along were full of Jamaicans heading to the massive *Jamaica Family Fun Day* in CP Park - the organisers of which had of course not organised any additional transport for the event; before catching a 185 to go to FH and catch a train to CP, and then finding out that *no buses* were going to FH.

And then I might have found myself walking along Dartmouth Road (dumped by a bus on diversion stopping at no stops) to find a bus; only to discover that the only bus running along Dartmouth Road was the 122 (197 and 176 both on diversion)

And I might have found that, as with the 363, the only 122s were coming in full to the gunnels of Jamaicans heading to CPP Jamaica Day.

And then I might have found myself walking all the way from half way up Kirkdale to the far side of Crystal Palace, loaded down with two heavy bags. Whilst recovering from illness.

>

> And I might have been a tad hacked off

I spent 2.5 hours getting from ED to CP. It would have been far, far quicker to just walk and not try to get any type of public transport.

My health was in recovery at the time, but immediately went back downhill again.

>

> But thankfully all of that was bypassed, because,

> as I say, I did know about this already.

Quite.