Real ale (in ED)

reds

Having spent the last few days enjoying the delights of a number of local hostelries, I came to the conclusion that the standard of beer, on the whole, leaves a lot to be desired. While the EDT has a good range available, the standard is poor (every time I taste one of their beers I think it is off). The standard of beer in The Bishop and Victoria Inn is aslo questionable in my opinion while Franklins only ever has one beer available (although it seems to be pretty well kept). The Palmerston's beer is always pretty good but is really a restaurant while Hoopers, also good, is out of the way. There has been a lot of discussion on here regarding 'The Actress' and it seems that the management are attempting to fill this obvious gap in the market but it's important that not only a good range of beers are sold (hopefully rotating a few smaller breweries)the beer actually has to be well kept and looked after. It doesn't matter what beers or how many a pub sells, it really is all about the quality.

Whilst there is no doubt room for improvement, I can think of many, many other parts of London which are much worse of than ED on the ale front

The Plough seems to keep a pretty good ale selection going, and the last time I was in the Mag, they had a t least one Harvey?s in

If you are near the Victoria and unhappy with the ales, the Montpelier a short chunder away has few in good nick

Not sure what the ales in the CPT are like, but for a Youngs pub the Clock House does ok. And then you have the Herne

The key to keeping Real Ale depends on the landlords ability to maintain the correct Cellar Temparature:-

Real ale should be served at cellar temperature 12-14 C (54-57 F)

No good trying to sell 'Good Real Ale' That is either too warm or chilled.

Pulled up with a proper 'Beer Engine' (Pump) That is not electrically assisted.

Have found ED, D and all around pretty thin on the ale front myself.

Yes, there's the Gowlett. But it's overpriced and smug.

There's also the Herne Tavern, which I think merits a mention.

But that's about it in my experience.