ED pubs not selling traditional bar snacks

Louisa

I popped intoThe Plough earlier on this afternoon for a sneaky half, and it has come to my attention that most of the now gastro type public houses in ED no longer sell traditional bar snacks such as the Smith's range of Scampi Fries, or the likes of pork scratchings, pickled egg's et al. Is it just me who has noticed this? Does anyone else care enough to respond? I really miss the days when you could pop into a pub and ask the bartender to reach high up and grab a pack of Cheesy Bites or Frazzles. Anyone know of a pub still selling them within the ED area?

Louisa.

Sorry louisa, according to east dulwich specific licensing requirements you are no longer allowed to buy scampi fries or the like, the only snacks permissible to buy are kettle chips and a small selection of dried fruit from the deepest parts of the amazonian rainforest, organic of course

Louisa makes a great point.

I have also noticed (much to my dismay) that trains no longer run on steam and that scurvy is much less common that it once was.

Does anyone know of anywhere locally where I can take a trip on a steam train and return with scurvy?

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Louisa makes a great point.

>

> I have also noticed (much to my dismay) that

> trains no longer run on steam and that scurvy is

> much less common that it once was.

>

> Does anyone know of anywhere locally where I can

> take a trip on a steam train and return with

> scurvy?

Come on my pirate themed train adventure, we will take a steam train to dover at which point we will board dubluke's famous gallion, once at sea you will only be allowed to eat preserved biscuits and drink rum, after a few weeks you will be enjoying that healthy yellow jaundice glow, attractive bleeding gums and of course, a raging hangover

Excellent news!

Will there be singalongs round the old 'joanna', outdated desserts, bad wine, fighting, misogyny, licensing laws imposed to enhance munitions production during a world war.. and all the other things I used to love about good old boozahs?

Jeez, get real. I'd much rather pay ?2-?3 for an egg cup full of nuts decanted from a Costco bulk order into a rustic looking jar. They taste better, look better and, boy, make me feel better all round. In fact I no longer care that they haven't cleared the tables, the glass if dirty, the lager is warm, because truly, I am part of something at last.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Excellent news!

>

> Will there be singalongs round the old 'joanna',

> outdated desserts, bad wine, fighting, misogyny,

> licensing laws imposed to enhance munitions

> production during a world war.. and all the other

> things I used to love about good old boozahs?

There's more fighting and singing than you can shake a stick at!! I have been running this galleon for 6 years now and to date have suffered a cracking of each rib I possess, three broken legs and multiple other fractures, at least 12 of which have been caused by outdated opinions on womens position in the workplace

Smith's pub snack rance is more akin to a south london boozer than a pot of cashew nuts!

Anyway, the last time I saw a pickled egg behind the bar was at a small pub in Ramsgate, that must have been five years ago now. I'm pretty sure the Hope along Rye Lane sell more traditional pub snacks, but i've not been in there for a while so wouldnt know anymore.

I feel like starting a ED petition to bring back pickled eggs and scampi fries, i've had enough of cashew nuts and Walkers crisps.

Louisa.

Scampi-flavoured fries are a 'solo snack'; best enjoyed home alone, along with other solitary pursuits such as watching Airwolf and masturbation.

If you're planning on eating them in a pub and breathing all over mixed company.. well, in all seriousness you might as well be gargling with piss.

Anyway, back in the real world,

"Many of Walkers brands were formerly branded under the Smiths Crisps name. This comes from the time when Walkers, Smiths and Tudor Crisps were the three main brands of Nabisco's UK snack division with Tudor being marketed mainly in the north of England and Walkers in the south. After the takeover by Pepsico the Tudor name was dropped and the Smiths brand has gradually been phased out in favour of Walkers.

The only products currently retaining the Smiths brand are Salt 'n' Shake, Salt & Vinegar and Ready Salted Chipsticks, Frazzles and the "Savoury Selection", which includes Bacon Flavour Fries, Scampi Flavour Fries and Cheese Flavoured Moments.

"

so it still exists - just isn't much traditional about it

Back in the days when pubs had 'Regulars' and had Landlords not Managers.

Sunday lunch time the Landlord would put out Roast Pots. Prawns. Free.

Regularly put ou Nuts & Crisps for their customers.

Did not charge ?10.00 - ?20.00 entry on New Years Eve, when you go to the pub

most nights of the year.

The Clockhouse does Pork Scratchings, and the last time I had one a filling got knocked out. My filling, mind, I wasn't chucking the pork scratchings at an annoying child or nothing.

And in actual fact there was a very enlightening and interesting documentary all about the making of pork scratchings last week on Radio Four which you might find on listen again facility if you can be so ar$ed.

And even listening to that didn't put me off, but the fee for the dentist did!

If the Clockhouse charges for them what it charges for crisps then no thanks. ?5.90 for a bottled cider (cos they only sell that cloudy sh!t on tap) and a bag of crisps? They are having a laugh. And the food which for over a decade was one of the best in the area is rubbish now too.

On Sunday I went to my local since it was taken over by new management (the Ivy House) to find it empty ....only cloudy cider on tap (instead of the blackthorn and strongbow on offer before) and costing 11.30 for three drinks. Ffs where does it stop? The working classes are being priced out of ED and Nunhead altogether....!

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> If the Clockhouse charges for them what it charges

> for crisps then no thanks. ?5.90 for a bottled

> cider (cos they only sell that cloudy sh!t on tap)

> and a bag of crisps? They are having a laugh. And

> the food which for over a decade was one of the

> best in the area is rubbish now too.

>

> On Sunday I went to my local since it was taken

> over by new management (the Ivy House) to find it

> empty ....only cloudy cider on tap (instead of the

> blackthorn and strongbow on offer before) and

> costing 11.30 for three drinks. Ffs where does it

> stop? The working classes are being priced out of

> ED and Nunhead altogether....!

yeah to be honest I'm getting a bit bored of everything being gastropubbed, sure they look nice but it means it costs a fucking fortune to have a few drinks and people give you evil looks if you dare to get a bit loud on a friday night