What has happened to the Mind Shop?

Bit unfair, Keef and Gimme? If I may say so very gently, not meaning to offend or kick anything off. No-one called the Mail in the Mind d?bacle, the woman involved was approached by the paper on the street, and she wasn't paid for it. I thought the whole debate got a bit out of hand, but after the CEO of Mind responded I think everyone accepted (including and most importantly the lady herself) that it had been dealt with well and appropriately.

Fair enough, but as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew there would be people who couldn't resist having a pop.

approached by the paper on the street, and she wasn't paid for it.

If I remember rightly, we only have her word for this.

Anyway, as you say, lets not let the whole thing kick off again.

Peace x

Yes and no, James. I see giving stuff to charity shops as being useful in two ways: one, the charity gets some dosh. But, two, someone on lower income levels gets some useful stuff at a bargain price. Some of the Mind Shop prices were really rather high which means that the buyers are arguably getting a bit fleeced.

Thing is whilst it's expensive, it did put me off coming home with a pile of junk that I would have otherwise bought if the price were lower AND if there is something I really wanted I always felt that I couldn't complain because my contribution towards the charity was that bit more than usual..

• 1 month later...

Now open again. Definitely less of an obstacle course, and the old clothes smell seems to have gone. At first sample maybe a bit too warm and bright for my physiology (but then many shops are) and I wouldn't be able to tolerate the music for more than ten minutes. But ... _did_ pick up a copy of Seligman's Learned Optimism for a good price. If I read some of that and less of the forum, who knows what will happen.

Bit confused by the assistant's saying something about Gift Aid when she peeled off the price label to stick on a sales sheet but without asking my address. When I queried it, it seems that there _are_ provisions for their getting a Gift Aid allowance on purchases, but by then I was a bit too stressed to take it in or pursue. It could well be worthwhile asking about next time.

Pricing the stuff too high is ok if people pay for it, but what most people dont know is that, if it doesnt get sold, it gets binned. Most charity shops have a shelf life for the stuff they sell. So stuff that is priced too high, yet would have been sold had it been cheaper, ends up in the bin....not really a win win situation.

I cant dictate what happens to the stuff once i donate it, but i can choose who i donate it too. Mine goes to St Christopher, reasonably priced-more sold-less binned.

Did a little trawl of the charity shops this weekend. We picked up a picture that we love from St Christopher and it was a fabulous, affordable price. The stuff in Mind is definitely too highly priced. We all know it's for charity, but most of us go in hoping to find a bargain and people know when they are paying over the odds. There is a jacket in there that was mine at the moment. It wasn't expensive in the first place but it is priced at more than I paid for it new!

Also, I do find the staff in there really awkward. They don't encourage me to buy at all. It has a strange atmosphere.