ED Writers' Group anthology

Debi

Last year EDWG published its first anthology, Hoovering the Roof. The first print run sold out and the book has been shortlisted for the National Assoc of Writers' Groups awards (winner to be announced after 4th Sept).

We're currently editing the content for the 2010 anthology, to be published end Nov. If you'd like to play a part, you can help us to choose the title by voting in the poll at this link.

http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/623807-266698

More details re EDWG on our website: www.edwg.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
A thought (and I'm sorry I missed the poll). How about "Hoovering the Roof ... Again"? I fear that the title you have chosen could quite be confused with the first as it is easy for the "second" to be dropped off. I am in publishing and would recommend an original title for an original collection - other elements could tie it in with the first/ your brand, but surely an original collection deserves its own identity?

Steve - argh! Don't confuse us! Do you have any idea how much discussion went into this decision?

Thanks for that, Shaila. As a published author and freelance editor, I do know what you're saying and we took those concerns into account. We hope to produce an anthology a year and need continuity as well as originality. The cover will be very different each time and, in the end, as the previous one was Hoovering the Roof the First, the final decision makes sense. Think Granta ...

You could have half-followed Alan Coren's example and made it Hoovering for Cats. Or even that of those operating systems providers who give a different animal name to each release ... Hoovering for Hedgehogs, Hoovering for Frogs, Hoovering for Au Pairs, ...

Ah, if only we had these suggestions earlier! But there has to be a cutoff point and we're now very busy, working to tight deadlines and editing the content. Which is sort of the whole point of the book ...

Thanks, though. Some great ideas here.

Way to sell the anthology, Dan...sheesh.

A committee is still a committee, even if its members are writers, and nothing decided by committee was ever cutting edge. I think it's amazing we arrived at a consensus at all, even if that consensus was to retain the status quo.

The content, on the other hand, is the work of individuals (like yourself) and is highly original (like yourself).

I feel my point was misheard. It is that the content is v good and the writers are v good, so we shouldn't give people the impression we are not..

I can rely too much on irony sometimes... I will speak more plainerer in future. much apologies

Hold on though, tirring up controversy is good right..? Lets have a big public fight and well make the papers!!

No, that was irony again. Let's not fight because we like each other. Phew. this is tough...

And that's a bad thing? There are 200+ local writers on the EDWG mailing list. That says a lot (and all of it good) about local creativity. Plenty to celebrate (and let other people know about)I'd've thought.

We're not a business and we're not profit-making. More unashamed plugs there then ... please don't begrudge them. (Eyelash batting emoticon.)