Why do smokers think it is ok to throw their flaming butts on ground?

cate

Maybe this should be in the businesses section - I am not sure. I am going to post the names of several local businesses whose employees throw their cigarette butts on the pavement and in the gutter and leave them there. One is Il Mirto on Melbourne Grove. Their employees are frequently outside smoking and they then throw them into the gutter where they stay there until a street sweeper comes along. Why not provide a sand ashtray outside? The new estate agent - Keatings - opposite the station also has a male employee smoking to the side of the agency and across the street (opposite the flats) where he throws his butts on the ground. The solicitors on the corner of Melbourne Grove and Grove Vale has a gaggle of people outside smoking and casting their butts aside despite having an ashtray on the wall. Melbourne Grove Surgery has employees either outside there or further down the street beyond Il Mirto doing the same thing. Anyone want to add to this list and name and shame? Southwark Council could make a killing in fines if they staked out these areas. Smokers, carry a portable ashtray please.

I am hoping that these businesses (and others) read this thread and provide ashtrays for their staff. Or perhaps Southwark can send their litter patrol people along and levy fines. In the case of the solicitor office, they do have a wall one which isn't often used. I did ask a woman who was smoking outside that office why she had disposed of her butt on the ground and she declared it was because it was biodegradable! Really? Since when? She obviously realized how stupid that sounded and she then picked it up from the gutter where she had thrown it and put it in the wall mounted tray. It is pretty gross to see food workers smoking outside but I am hopeful that they do wash their hands afterwards.

The Bishop provides ashtrays on all the outside tables

for it's customers, but I have seen smokers just toss their

buts in the road or throw them on the floor.

Undo the cellophane wrapper, drop on the floor, remove silver foil, drop on floor.

It is an automatic proceedure for many smokers.

Note:- NOT accusing staff. I am talking about customers.

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to do on the spot fines when seeing people do this stuff? Kind of like a citizen's arrest! A few weeks ago I threw a butt back into someone's front garden after she threw it out onto the pavement right in front of where I was walking. Very satisfying.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you approached all the people you want to

> name and shame rather than just hoping they read

> this thread? That would seem more constructive to

> me.

By people do you mean owners of the companies. Not yet. But I did remonstrate with someone outside the solicitor office. Was told by a trader in Melbourne Grove that the owner of It Mirto does read this Forum. At the moment I am venting and canvassing opinion.

I was waiting at the bus stop in Herne Hill, where this chavy old boiler of a women was smoking could not give a monkeys where the smoke was going then she threw it on the ground and then a warden saw her do it she was fine ?60.00 she was so shocked that she got caught I said there is a god after all>:D

I hate litter and I'm a smoker and have used a portable ashtray in the past but I've not seen them anywhere for ages whether for sale or for free. Us smokers have been forced outside to enjoy our habit where there aren't any ashtrays unless you're outside a pub. There are some atop of some litter bins and I always use those if I can, otherwise where else can we put our cigarette butts?

Like any normal decent human being I'd rather not drop my cigarette butts on the pavement so does anyone know where I can get hold of portable ashtrays?