The East Dulwich feel..

Tonyotonyo

Me and my girlfriend have just moved to East Dulwich, literally about a day ago. I've got to say, the place is beautiful. Lordship Lane in automatically one of the nicest roads in South London to be around, Esp at night. We were thinking of moving to Clapham earlier in the year and thank god we didn't. Its nothing compared to the area, Small Boutiques, independent business' sexy little gastro's and bars. All within small distances of each other. Oh, and the view on Overhill road, wow. Cant understand why the place is so much more affordable than say, Muswell Hill, Crouch end etc because its style and Chic are pretty much beyond them both.

Am I deluded? Or Have we moved into a little gem of an area?

hi welcome to the area, you have moved into a little gem!

Its a great place to live, very good links into town with the overground now its in forest hill and only 40 mins on the bus into covent garden etc.

If you read the forum its been a bit worrying with crime being reported on here. My husband is convinced the area is getting worse because of reading post on here but I think its just because having the forum keeps everyone more informed.

If we didnt have this forum you wouldnt know half of what goes on in the area so you would be ignorant to the crime so wouldnt worry as much.

Having the forum really gives you a sense of community spirit.

There is always lots going on from street parties to fairs, choirs, exercise classes etc.

Loads to do and really does feel like a little village in a way. People really do help each other out here.

I dont have a car so asked if anyone could collect something from Ikea for me and I had 2 offers-how lovely is that!

you have also picked a great street!(totally biased of course as im Overhill too! could be neighbours!)

I have read slot abou the crime, but heck it can't be worse than most areas of London? I've actually moved onto goodrich, that's where I read about the crime happening!! Anyway, me and my partner are v happy with the area and il glad that there's a good community spirit.

Why I moved here? It's afordable and the area seemed really nice. 1 bedroom places go for a very reasonable price and there not holes!! Hope that the crime doesN t affect it too much. Ifs violence that's most worrying. Petty theft I can deal with :)

Hello

We moved here in April - was a choice between here and Fulham. I say a 'choice' - but in reality if we'd have ended up in Fulham we'd have lived in a sh*thole in a really ropey area. Now we live in a lovely house in a lovely area.

In the 5 months I've been here, I've turned into a total East Dulwich zealot and hate leaving the area at the weekend! It's sad really!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. East dulwich is a crime ridden, densely populated shithole, with dreadful transport links, surrounded by some of europe's most deprived sink estates.

In its favour it does have a few half decent bars and restaurants, as well as a few twee junk shops, which seem to be enough to keep its simple minded residents happy at weekends.

I absolutely love and adore Ed! Great vibe as you have discovered, fab bars restaurants ESP some great curry houses plus the thai place Buddha jazz... It's a pocketful of sunshine here, no getting away from the fact it's in London and with that comes some gritty stuff at times but all in all fab! We moved here 2.5 yeArs ago and we still love it...

Compared to brixton and peckham, yes, but that is not saying much. Cheers for pointing out my poor spelling, i guess it further marks me out as ignorant and uncultured for not being part of the east dulwich dream world no?

wrote eater81.

This begs the question where would you prefer to live eater81?

dont worry about easter he or she obviously hate it enough to spend their saturday morning posting on the forum or just gets some perverse pleasure from being a wum.

i came and checked on ED with my girlfriend very reluctantly as i had a very bad mental image of SE London and had lived in Fulham and Battersea for many years. I came here for a look as a friend lived in the area and loved the place from day 1. We decided to rent here on the spot and when our lease ran out we bought a house. 2 years later and we still love the place and just hope that the growing affluence of the area doesn't attract too much crime but as you said that's part of a big city. This place feels a lot safer than Fulham or Battersea ever did and most places ive been too in north london so I think its a gem.

If the overground/underground links from forest hill to clapham as planned in 2012 this place will be even better.

Welcome to East Dulwich, you seem like good people so maybe ED found you!

eater81 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Compared to brixton and peckham, yes, but that is

> not saying much. Cheers for pointing out my poor

> spelling, i guess it further marks me out as

> ignorant and uncultured for not being part of the

> east dulwich dream world no?

Hey, no worries. But for the record, your spelling isn't what marks you out as ignorant. Uncultured I cannot say.

Tonyotonyo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ok easter8. You seem like you dislike the area,

> I've lived in Edmonton green, ponders end,

> tottenham and kilburn. If you think that ED is a

> shithole then you must live in hampton esque

> luxury estate. It's not in any way a shithole.

Even people literally living in a shithole wouldn't move to Tottenham.