Landells Road - Primary schools

zv2010

You will havw to track the as the crow flies distance from the actual house to each school to determine which is closest, and how far you are.

Then Southwark should be able to tell you how far the furthest non-sibling entrant was this year (but bear in mind Heber took in 90 rather than 60 pupils this year and both Goodrich and Heber, having had bulge classes, may have more siblings next year than usual)

You need to get in on the closest community school criteria, rather than the lower priority which is just distance. I don't think anyone gets in on that criteria really to those schools.

prdarling Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When was that Heidi? Very curious as they seem

> wat closer to Heber. I find the whole thing so

> random. Friends of mine who live on Barry Rd

> almost at the the park got into Heber this year

> and we who live twice as close to Goodrich did

> not. All totally bizarre

Heber had a bulge class...

prdarling Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When was that Heidi? Very curious as they seem

> wat closer to Heber. I find the whole thing so

> random. Friends of mine who live on Barry Rd

> almost at the the park got into Heber this year

> and we who live twice as close to Goodrich did

> not. All totally bizarre

prdarling: I think that's because Heber had a bulge class this year - so everyone (?) who put Heber as a first choice got in.

Landells is closer to Heber but on a normal year Goodrich has a bigger intake (2 classes vs 3 /Heber vs Goodrich). it's a decent road and unless you're prepared to live opposite the school you like I'd say if you like the house/street, then Landells is a pretty good pitch.....

A couple of grand in the top pocket of the local education officer should get you into the school of your choice, such practices probably explain the 'bizzare' results described above. My personal choice would be to buy a cheaper house elsewhere and send em to a decent private school, where an acceptable standard of education is more likely to be achieved.

We're fortunate that we have a number of good primary schools in East Dulwich - Goodrich, Goose, Heber, St.Anthony's.

All have had issues which seem overcome - the Goose Green KS2 SATs results sound good and I'm looking forward to them being officially published.

Wherever you might live on Landells Road you should be fine for local place at one of our local schools.

My mistake, When you said schools in East Dulwich I thought that's what you meant. For the record Dog Kennel Hill School may not be in "East Dulwich Ward" but it is in East Dulwich (SE22) Where as none of the other schools you mentioned are.

Not aimed at you but it does wind me up when people carry on like the only schools in ED worth sending their children too are Goodrich or Heber and their whole world comes to an end when they don't get offered one of these. Try looking around a bit, there are other brilliant schools in ED!

Its all so confusing. I live on Landells Road. I have a daughter who will start school in Sept 2011.

The nearest (community) school to me is Heber and 2nd is Goodrich. Dulwich & Village Enfants is about 850 Mtrs away.

I'd love my daughter to go to D&V enfants (having read the ofsted reports) but this whole allocation/application thing is starting to stress me out already.

Am i jeopardising my chances of getting in to either Heber or Goodrich if I put down D&V as my 1st choice and subsequently dont get in? If she did get in, do I have more of a chance of her getting into Dulwich junior school than if she went to Heber or Goodrich?

Are the stats out showing this years allocation showing who got in where and under what criteria?

Hi coopsy76,

You need to visit schools. They all have slightly different vibes and some will resonate with your child better than others.

That should temper the order you place the schools on the form. Ofsted reports lag behind where a school is and the definitions Ofsted use aren't necessarily ideal. long way of saying don't rely so much on Ofsted.

Southwark will attempt to maximise 1st preferences while maximising people getting one of their four choices.

With reards to Dulwich Infants/Junior. You'd need to speak to the school and existing paretns experiences.

Thanks James

My understanding from seeing threads from previous years is that tactically, you need to put your closest community school as No1 choice even if it may not be your first choice of school.

Ive looked around Goodrich and Heber and even though I liked Goodrich better and in order to make sure I got one of my 1st 2 choices, i should put Heber down as my first choice.....because its my closest school.

If I put Goodrich as 1st choice, I would lose out to people who live closer to Goodrich and who put it down as their first choice. Consequently, I would move down the pecking order for a place at Heber because it wasnt my 1st choice of school....

On the flip side, I dont want to put Heber down as my 1st choice as it isnt my first choice!

The comment regarding Dulwich and Village enfants having a bulge class next year has made the situation even more confusing for me! I didnt even think that was an option until now.

I know of a lonely 7 year old who was in Dulwich Infants and didn't get a place in the Junior school despite all her cohort getting in - based on where she lived. She had to join another school until her parents won a place on appeal so no guarantees

Parental choice is a misdirection by a series of governments IMO, and many other people's too. There is no such thing in reality so I wouldn't get too het up about it - put them down in the order you want to and I am sure you will be succesful in finding a school you'll be happy with.