Residents Parking Permits

WrightC

No plans for residents parknig permits. The entrance has moved 100m round the corner from East Dulwich Road location where you couldn't park on the road.

At the planning committee the traffic report was convincing that shouldnt be a problem even with anticipated more users.

This weekend with official opening might have had extra parking - but when I visited noon on Saturday lots of spare parking spots. However, one slight rub is that the new Goose Green playground is an attraction in its own right and I know some people drive and park to visit that playground now.

• 1 month later...
James - Are there any plans for resident permit parking on any of the streets in East Dulwich? I particularly refer to those streets near toward the station. I have found it increasing difficult to park (I live on Matham Grove) and it's not that I'm bothered about parking outside my house or even on my street for that matter, but I just spent 25 minutes driving around the surrounding area looking for a space and this is happening more and more. What I would like to see is controlled parking between the hours of 12 midday and 2pm on some streets to alleviate this by preventing the commuters from parking here all day for the train, whilst not making it impossible for visitors to the shops to pop into the area.

I can see how zonal resident's parking permits may help with parking around the station ie, only residents who live in that zone can park there for the majority of the time. As long as it's clearly explained.

Once I went to Battersea or Wandsworth to that hi-fi place Oranges & Lemons. I found a parking place about five streets away and got my ticket from one of those machines. As I was walking towards the shop I saw another space become available so moved the car to this new nearer spot with my one hour ticket clearly on display. When I came out of the shop a traffic warden was putting a ticket on my car. I explained I had a valid ticket only to be told the ticket I had entitled me to park in zone H but this was zone G

the area around matham grove is a total nightmare in the daytime. i regularly spend 25 minutes circling, trying to park anywhere vaguely near my house.

can people who want to park near the station not use sainsbury's?

not sure if I'm for or against parking zones, but it's so frustrating having to park 10 minutes' walk from my house.

I agree with the parking problem near the station - We usually cycle, but, if I use the car during the weekday it is generally a half-hour hunt. We bought a house near the station and bypassed a bigger house further into Ed for the convenience of not being car dependent. Ah well.

In herne hill they have limited hours that prevent people from leaving cars all day - is that something that residents pay for?

With fee based residents parking not only do you have to pay an annual fee with no guarantee that you can park near your house, or at all, but visitors and tradespeople become equally restricted in visiting you and parking - some schemes allow you to buy visitors tickets, but in the main they are used as revenue generating devices, not really as methods of restricting parking to residents. Around much of the area that you would want to use the restriction they also have the effect of reducing, sometimes dramatically, vistors to local shops. Once such schemes are introduced they tend to spread out from the areas which initially are very parking congested to other areas (as vistors themselves spread out to find spots to park in, once restrictions are introduced). As someone with off street parking I am less personally effected by this (save for visits locally to other parts of ED) and I would see the price of my house rise - something I am happy to forego if it avoids the introduction of these pernicious restrictions.

To answer Jeremy's question:

a) It rarely solves the actual problem and people end up paying ?80 a year for effectively nothing

b) CPZs generally come with a lot of white bay markings and yellow lines that actually reduce the amount of parking on offer

c) The have a big effect on businesses where parking for non-locals is reduced to very low levels.

Having said all that, I rather like the Herne Hill arrangement - Pay and Display or resident's pass for the hours of 12 to 2 weekdays. Few yellow lines and no individual marked bays. It solves the 'all day commuter' problem, whilst reducing the other negative issues of CPZs.

Like Ratty, I have an off-street parking bay, so I've no axe to grind here. It's just that I've never seen a full-on CPZ work and, once in, the damned things are impossible to get rid of. Be careful of what you wish for, people.

Let's say that the markings were not for individual bays, and no extra yellow lines were introduced. So the amount of total available parking remained the same.

Let's also say that they also introduced parking metres (?1 an hour, 2 hrs max stay). Visitors permits would be available to residents at a reasonable price.

Would this satisfy people? Or is the ?80-?100 fee the main issue?

The herne hill 12-2 restriction would work wonders. Is there a cost to residents for this? I'd likely be up for it either way. We were surveyed a number of years ago on this issue when parking was less of an issue. Perhaps it is time for a new survey...

I am also all for parking permits. I live on copleston road and can never get parked anywhere near my house, I have a toddler and another baby on the way, it makes things very difficult when trying to carry anything from the car to the house. i usually end up looping round the one way system several times trying to spot a space.

I know for a fact that residents who used to live on copleston road but have since moved out still park their car here as it has great access to the station.

Also we have a lot of disabled bays down our road which never seem to be in use, I wonder if these are reviewed on an annual basis? I am sure they are not all required and may free up some spaces.

Otto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The herne hill 12-2 restriction would work

> wonders. Is there a cost to residents for this?

> I'd likely be up for it either way. We were

> surveyed a number of years ago on this issue when

> parking was less of an issue. Perhaps it is time

> for a new survey...

The cost would be the parking permit.

a few years ago, the council had a "consultation" on CPZs. opposition was mobilised and there was a massive majority against. finally, the council grudgingly admitted that the residents did not want it... but they tried to pretend there was only a wafer thin majority against. as one of the many who took petitions door to door, I know the antis must have been at least 85%.

...the 15% for it being those who live near the station no doubt.

I live off LL. Parking at the weekend can be a nightmare. But I put up with it because the convenience of being on the high street compensates for it. I suspect it's pretty handy being near to the station too.