Rules of Dulwich Park

AliPali

Hi there,

I was out in the park the other day with my mum when a pit bull started to attack us both for no reason. We were walking along the carriage way next to the horse riding path and the pit bull ran out of nowhere and started to attack my mother, luckily my mother has a walking stick and I beat the monster away before any serious damage could be done by this feral dog. Although, unfortunately the beastie legged it with no owner to follow, it was wearing a spiked collar and had scars around its neck and muzzle. I was wondering if there were any rules in Dulwich Park about designated dog zones or anything along those lines.

Thanks AliPali

- P.S my mums fine just a little shaken in her old age.

The dog was alone...... A designated dog area would make no difference! Simply penalises the decent dog owners and their dogs (of which there are far more).

Glad you and your mum are both ok. I'm in the park most days and fortunately it's rare to see irresponsible dog owners there.

Welcome to the forum, AliPali.

I doubt it was a feral dog, and I doubt it was a pit bull. But if it was a real attack by a dog on a human being, I'd phone 999 immediately. Unless it truly was a feral dog (of whatever breed) a criminal offence has probably occurred and the police have real power to act in such circumstances. You'd also be potentially helping any others who, or whose pets, might in the future be attacked by the dog.

Do you happen to remember which day it was?

Yes, glad you and your mum are ok. My heart skipped a beat there.

I can't stand these unfriendly, ferocious breeds and when their owners are present they are not much friendlier than

their dogs. I had an incident like this once and I had our three children with me.

In that situation the owner blamed me by saying the children were jumping around too much - therefore making the

dog over excited. Could not believe it !!!

I found this parks Byelaws document on the Southwark Council website. No mention of 'dog' or 'dogs' (only Dog Kennel Hill!) which I find surprising.

The dog issue does seem to be getting worse in local open spaces.

(Someone doing some work for me has just had her own small dog attacked by a much larger one, on Peckham Rye (reported to police). Her poor dog needed an expensive operation. Another to add to the growing list.)

According to some papers from the Education and Children's Services Scrutiny Sub-Committee on Monday 12 July 2010 - this problem was put forward as a proposed topic for discussion (see copied text below. Might be worth following up with the gentleman who prposed it (name below). Two other members of this committee are Councillor Althea Smith (Nunhead) and Councillor Adele Morris (Cathedrals ward).

When I acted protectively to my children when I saw a pit bull type dog roaming free ahead of me, the owner told me that I shouldn't 'bring my kids up like that'. Really not sure what you can do about this other than teach children to recognise responsible owners from irresponsible ones, and to watch out for potentially dangerous situation.

Increase in dangerous dog attacks ? are children being adequately protected?

There has been a 66% increase in dog bites over the last ten years, with more than 100

victims being admitted to hospital each week in England, according to the Mail-Online

News. The 2008/09 figures show that of a total 5,221 people who were treated ? 1,250

were children ?including many babies and toddlers?.

The article goes on to say that the true figures will be much higher as the data does not

include victims seen in A&E. The problem is said to be more acute in urban areas, such

as London. I believe this would make a good and timely topic for review by the Ed & CS

Scrutiny Sub Committee to assess how Southwark is coping with this growing threat to

our children?s welfare and safety.

Colin Elliott

Education Representative

Hello - really sorry to hear what happened to you and glad you're ok.

I think this might be the same dog that terrified the life out of me and my 5 year old a few weeks ago. We were sitting down at the edge of the park when this dog came running over to us (black, spiky collar). We're not usually frightened by dogs but this was really scary - it crouched and started growling and really looked as if it might go for us. The owner was unconcerned (and really aggressive and rude - though I was too, I have to say). The dog was totally out of control and I think we were very lucky not to have been attacked.

We were really fortunate too in that a couple of friendly dog owners came over to us to chat and my little boy was able to see that not all dogs and dog owners utterly terrifying.

I'm not sure what coule be done about this. I'd hate to see all dogs on leads in the park.

I'm in the park most days and fortunately it's rare to see irresponsible dog owners there. wrote ClareC.

I am in the park once a fortnight and I see dangerous dogs and their obnoxious owners all too regularly.

bawdy-nan wrote:-I'd hate to see all dogs on leads in the park.

I agree all dogs need to run,

but I am all for keeping me and the general public safe,

so dogs away from their home in a public place weighing more than 5lbs or 2.5 kilo's should be muzzled.

Terrible incident - obviously a horrible dog. I know this is a forum and thereofore venting spleen is part of the territory but muzzling every dog over 2.5 kilos is just hysterical. Every dog in the country larger than a Yorkie would need to wear one and all this would effectively do is penalise the owners who are responsible enough to buy one - which, lets face it is probably targetting the wrong group of people.

Just wanted to add a little perspective and yes I do have a dog - he weighs 35kgs is as soft as butter and great with kids.

There was a story a couple of weeks ago (Southwark News?) about some 20 'pit bull type' dogs having been seized in Southwark in the last month. Operation Bark, I think it's called. So perhaps the police are starting to act.

Also I hear there's a plan to microchip all dogs belonging to council tenants. Is this so?

"23 September 2010 Will Shenton [email protected]

"EXCLUSIVE

"Twenty dangerous dogs have been seized in one month, as part of an operation by police, Southwark Council and RSPCA.

"Many of the dogs captured during Operation Bark are pitbulls or pitbull ?cross?, and most of them were prohibited by law or ?dangerously out of control?, according to police. "

http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/00,news,20993,185,00.htm

That's all you get in the free online version.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/4457/dulwich_park

According to this there are several specific dog exercise areas dotted around the edge of the park - surely these are the designated off lead areas, and everywhere else is technically on lead - mind you on the park homepage it suggests dogs should be exercised only at the north en of the park, so not entirely clear.

... oh, here we go again. Another thinly veiled anti-dog rant.

While AliPali's experience may have been frightening for him/her and his/her mother, it's the exception not the norm. I exercise our dog every day in either Dulwich Park or Peckham Rye, and in 10 years of walking, I can safely say that I (or my two young children) have never encountered a dog behaving dangerously; over enthusiastic perhaps yes, but not one that was going to rip off my limbs, or those of my children. And of all the parks, Dulwich certainly attracts the responsible dog owner. Maybe we've been lucky, but maybe there is something in a decade's experience.

I therefore think the purpose of this thread is nothing more than a disguised attempt to see all dogs either banned from the park, or restricted to a small area. And as for muzzling dogs over 5lbs... from previous threads we all know how much some posters would like to see dogs simply not walk the planet.

Regarding the safety of my children I'd be more worried about being hit by one of the cyclists who race around the perimeter at high speed, than I would of them meeting a stocky terrier with a studded collar. The thing is Dulwich park is a park for all of us: fitness fanatics, footballers, strollers old and young - and yes, even those keen cyclists and us dog walkers. Whatever happened to AliPali is extremely unfortunate - but also extremely rare in this park.

One isolated story, and it's all talk of 'rules and regulations' and muzzling dogs. For goodness sake, why can't we all just live and let live?

...oh here we go again, another over-sensitive dog owner.

Nobody is saying dogs should be banned from parks. All that most people ask is that the small minority of anti-social dog owners start behaving properly and:

1. Pick up their dog's mess. I don't crap in the street outside your house and I wouldn't allow my kids to.

2. Keep their dog on a lead at appropriate times in public spaces, especially in areas where young kids are playing and certainly in areas where there are signs up specifically telling you to use a lead.

If you already do that, I don't see why this thread should upset you. In fact, I would expect you to support the sentiments.

Agreed that there are one or two suggestions that are a bit ridiculous (eg muzzling all dogs bigger than a chihuahua) but they were basically ignored anyway.