North Cross Road market - Proposed extension of trading days & Pitches

Bubbles

Haven't seen a post on this as yet and wondered if everyone in ED has had a Southwark Council "consultation" questionnaire dropped in their letter box recently re increasing the number of pitches on North Cross Road from 20 to 30 and adding Sunday's to the market trading days?

Does anyone have any views on this?

I think closing the road is being considered although it's not one of the questions asked on the questionnaire. I think it should be left at 20. There's a good range of produce on offer and the small market size has a nice friendly feel about it.

Closure of the road would be a pain as it's a good cycle through route but in principle sounds like a nice idea.

The existing traders might have a view on increased stalls though ;) esp if it doesn't automatically translate into increased customers.

And also why are the council proposing it? Thinking of the extra revenue from ten extra stalls perhaps? Cynical I know (and probably reflecting a waiting list for stalls) but a bigger market isn't always about improvement to the existing one.

Great idea. I'm all for increasing the size in the hope of a bit more variety, as after 7 years of visiting the market nearly every Saturday there hasn't been much change. I love the existing stalls (especially the fudge lady!), but it will be great to see some new things on offer.

edited - can't attach 200Kb pdf questionairre.

Earlier this week after many many weeks of debate and discussion a survey form was agreed.

The administration is proposing to increase the market from officially operating Mon-Sat to be open every day including Sundays. They're also proposing that it increases from 20 to 30 stalls.

The East Dulwich Lib Dem councillors views after talking to residents, stall holders and local businesses is that increasing the number of stalls on Saturdays from 20 to 30 or even 40 is something we'd welcome and have been asking about for some time. Opening the market on Sundays we're not keen on as it would mean residents will never get a day of peace. We're also not keen on increasing the numbers of stalls Mon-Fri as the current stall numbers are rarely used and if a higer were they might make the area feel taken over by the market.

What do you think?

Whether you're a residents, visitor, run a business in ther area we'd like you to either print and complete the quesitonairres or respond online:

Northcross Road market survey

I think that increasing the number of stalls substantially on a Saturday is a great idea as it would draw more people to the area to shop generally. However, surely this would only work if the road were pedestrianised that day, as presumably with 30-40 stalls, you would have to use both sides of the road? It's bad enough with stalls just on the one side to get a car through there (tried it on a driving lesson once - nightmare!), as it crossing the road as a pedestrian.

I agree about giving the local residents peace on a Sunday as well.

However, if there is an increase of people coming to the area, and potentially a road closed, how will that impact on traffic and parking in the area? Luckily for me I live far enough away but close enough to walk, but I can imagine people coming from neighbouring areas (or further afield) though might be inclined to drive, and clutter up the local streets even more when parking.

Also, how is it decided what sort of stalls will be trading? What direction will the market take in terms of style?

Wasn't aware of any previous discussions on this and only received survey this week. Agree with DJKillaQueen, a bigger market isn't necessarily going to improve the existing one. Maybe the extension has more to do with the 40 traders on the waiting list! The survey is available to complete online at www.surveymonkey.com/s/northcrossroadmarket

Sunday is definately a winner and making it more pedestrian friendly would work well. I went to London Fields last week which is the best food market I've been to (better than Borough) with great stalls but easy to walk around... we need an equivilant in ED.

We must also protect local businesses on North Cross Rd too, many suffer as parking is limited on Saturdays as is the case for the pet shop.

I think it quite dreary as it is. I like Cooper, the hot dog guy. The lady selling shea butter and other soaps is useful but I don't want that every week. The Blackbird Bakery stall to my mind has a monopoly as they already have a shop on Grove Vale. Wish they would be given some competition in the form of another bakery stall.

I would be keen on extra stalls on Saturday, with a road closure on that day, but I don't think it's fair to the local residents to extend to Sunday. Everyone should have one day of their weekend that is peaceful.

I also think that extending to Sunday may dilute the Saturday trade and all year round it may be hard to maintain. I would be very interested to know if the requests for additional stalls have been made over the summer when it seems such a nice thing to do. Last Autumn there was a noticeable reduction in stall holders turning up the moment the rain started. A wet Sunday may cause a lot of disappointment to visitors who then don't bother to come again on either day.

The Blackbird Bakery stall to my mind has a monopol♠ as they already have a shop on Grove Vale. Wish they would be given some competition in the form of another bakery stall.

You raise an interesting point here. I was reliably informed that, when MooTown moved its excellent cheese stall from the Indoor Market to NCR, it was told it had to discontinue selling its (really excellent!) baguettes because of the clash with Blackbird.

I think NCR works well as a Saturday market only. Fridays are dead and, as far as Sundays go, it's hardly East Street is it?! I'd welcome Saturday pedestrianisation of the LL end of NCR though.

SimonM

Wonder who made the rule about MooTown not being able to sell baguettes? At Peckham Sunday Market there is only one bread seller now, Flour Power, but Blackbird used to be there also. They also used to be at the Dulwich College once a month market alongside the Celtic Bakery. Blackheath Sunday Market has about 4 different bakeries selling bread and cakes. Lovely choice.

Edited to say = Mootown sells welsh cakes - presumbly that's ok then even though they have flour in them!

I don't mind and my road could be affected by extra parking and traffic. As long, as Cllr Barber says, the market doesn't eventually take over the area. And as long as it doesn't usher in parking restrictions, like that no-go area Northcote Road, Clapham.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't mind and my road could be affected by

> extra parking and traffic. As long, as Cllr Barber

> says, the market doesn't eventually take over the

> area. And as long as it doesn't usher in parking

> restrictions, like that no-go area Northcote Road,

> Clapham.

Or Choumert Road, Peckham!!!

I live in one of the 5 Rd side roads off of Northcross Rd.

On Saturday I take my disabled mother shopping.

When I return early afternoon it is imposible to park.

Full of white market vans and 4x4's

I have to park in another street and recover my car early evening.

As it is impossible to turn around in the road, closing North Cross rd would mean

cars could not enter or leave:-

NutField Rd. Archdale Rd. Lacon Rd. Fellbrigg Rd. Ulverscroft Rd.

There would be serious traffic increase on Crystal Palace rd.

Like to see the market and have considered applying for a stall myself.

BUT !!! To have this on a daily basis would not be of any benifit to local residents.

I'm inclined to agree with you DulwichFox! Closing North Cross Road could potentially be a traffic nightmare. Another point on this is, who decides on what stalls to include in this extended market? Do we get a say on what we would like to see there?

I went to London Fields last week which is the best food market I've been to (better than Borough) with great stalls but easy to walk around... we need an equivilant in ED.

Do we really need it? The area is very well served for shops both in ED and neighbouring local areas. The question surely is whether local people want it. And there are some very good points being made above that show that it may not be the gerat idea it seems at first glance. But that is why it has been put out to consultation.

cate Wrote:

> No one said anything about a daily basis.

Cate

See post from James Barber.

Earlier this week after many many weeks of debate and discussion a survey form was agreed.

The administration is proposing to increase the market from officially operating Mon-Sat to be open every day including Sundays. They're also proposing that it increases from 20 to 30 stalls.

That is the proposal..

Yes, DulwichFox, but I suspect that the market won't function Monday to Friday as it does on a Saturday. In theory, it could operate like that now, as it is approved Monday to Saturday, but there simply isn't the demand midweek so stall holders don't bother (at least that's what I'm assuming).

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I live in one of the 5 Rd side roads off of

> Northcross Rd.

>

> > I have to park in another street and recover my

> car early evening.

>

> As it is impossible to turn around in the road,

> closing North Cross rd would mean

> cars could not enter or leave:-

> NutField Rd.

> Archdale Rd. Lacon Rd. Fellbrigg Rd. Ulverscroft

> Rd.

>

> There would be serious traffic increase on

> Crystal Palace rd.

>

> Like to see the market and have considered

> applying for a stall myself.

>

> BUT !!! To have this on a daily basis would not

> be of any benifit to local residents.

xxxxxxxx

I have mixed feelings about this.

I live in Ulverscroft Road and yes there would be problems with parking and traffic flow.

On the other hand I love the market and would like to see more stalls, provided the stuff being sold is of a reasonable standard .... even if I can't afford it, I like to know it's there :)

I'd also be happy to see stalls there all week.