Beware of burglaries happing in the ED/Peckham borders [closed due to identical thread also running]

I had my house burgled last weekend (taken until now to access a laptop as mine was stolen), they took out a complete double glazed window and left it leaning against the shed. My house is actually pretty sound with amazing locks/doors and alarm system but this ******* managed to bypass everything by taking out the window. Apparently there was also another recent buglary on Muschamp road and another on Ondine rd. I'm just warning you as I am devastated about loosing all the photos of my 2 babies that I had on the computer and not backed up anywhere and would hate for anyone else to face the same thing. (If anyone notices a Black Dell Inspiron laptop being sold locally please let me know!)

Sorry to hear this. What did the police say about the removal of the window? Common or uncommon? My windows are hooked up to my alarm. Do you have side access to your garden or did they come over the fence? Have the police given you any useful advice?

How did your alarm not go off if they were inside? Do you have motion detectors inside?

Really sorry about your ordeal - esp the photos of children. We use a backup system for our computer which we keep completely separate (on a different floor). Can recommend someone to do this when you're up and running again.

Take care.

Flippin heck all these posts are really worrying for someone who's just moved here. I was (possibly naively) thinking that double glazed windows would be fairly safe. Now I'm worried. To take out a whole window? Jeeze.

The police said it was pretty uncommon but the guy who has now come and replaced the whole window said there was another fairly similar incident locally too. It wasn't a newly installed window either, whoever did it clearly knew what they were doing.

We did, but even with our front door open you can't really see much other than the hallway, they broke in through a window at the back of the house and according to the police came from a neighbours side entry and over the fence into our garden, so probably an opportunist.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the recession biting, i had a bicycle wheel taken from outside me house, the neighbours came back to find front door open, all valuables gone, and friend had car taken by theives who broke in and stole the keys...this is Nunhead, where nothing ever happens!

Gussy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Flippin heck all these posts are really worrying

> for someone who's just moved here. I was (possibly

> naively) thinking that double glazed windows would

> be fairly safe. Now I'm worried. To take out a

> whole window? Jeeze.

As has been suggested on the other thread it's the fact that it's so easy to publicise things which creates the worry. I'm pretty sure there aren't a great deal more burglaries than at any other time, and also there's plenty of people who live round here who aren't on the forum and carry on with their lives, not panicking unnecessarily.

I was burglared recently at the beginning of October. They smashed an entire double glazed panel to peices, as if a bomb exploded and all the strip and window bars (georgian type of window). they stole several items of great sentimental and monetary value. police came to secure the window and we were put a corrugated steel panel by the damage and control team, for which we had to pay quite a bit of money. Insult to injury. No one knows who did it> We are on the border between ED, Forest Hill and Peckham, Honor Oak (horniman area).