men in orange turbans

caro ed

I am sure that it was a Sikh wedding judging by the emormous stretched white limo and cars with white ribbons on outside the temple. Earlier in the day there was the sound of music and drums. I feel a bit ignorant in not understanding the Sikh religion enough, but it's good to have that temple here amongst our community so that we can learn more.

Ahem! Having just glanced at the Wikipedia site that Sue helpfully put up on this thread I noticed that there are a number of religious prohibitions in Sikhism, the second one being.

Intoxication: Consumption of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, and other intoxicants is not allowed. Intoxicants are strictly forbidden for a Sikh.

Perhaps they were drinking non-alcoholic lager. I wouldn't want to get them into any trouble if they were drinking anything stronger especially as their temple is only up the road. Perhaps it is possible they have a more relaxed attitude in the west.

Being a practising Sikh I can assure you we aren't all the same! yes a lot of sikhs do like a drink or five but lets not tar us all with the same brush please?!

BTW that was indeed a sikh wedding you guys saw, and they last a whole three days!!!!

vimma01, we need people like you to contribute to the 'Is there a God?' thread in the drawing room.

You see, after 500-odd posts we've reached an impasse. We've got to the stage - yes there is, maybe, might be, prove it, no there isn't.

It would be refreshing if we had another point of view that wasn't essentially Christian-based. Don't be put off by some of the non-believers. Their bark is worse than their bite and at the end of the day they're only searching for answers like the rest of us.

I came across this little Gurudwara but the doors were shut so didn't get to go in.

Re Sikhs drinking, I have to agree with purplecatkimi... ha ha

We do enjoy a drink and of course tandoori chicken;) although the more devout sikhs will disagree

There are some lovely gurudwaras in southall (mini india) if anyone's interested and they are very welcoming to everyone. In fact if you do go, stay for the community lunch (langar) and prashad (dessert like holy offerings similar to semolina pudding).

Ko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hi. does the sikh gurdwara on shawbury road do

> anything to celebrate diwali? thanks

Don't know about sikh gurdwara on shawbury road but in general Hindu temples tend to get into Diwali festivities with fireworks, lamps and poojas. There's the Neasden temple and I think there's a big celebration organised in Trafalgar sq by the Mayor of London.

haiks Wrote:

> There are some lovely gurudwaras in southall (mini

> india) if anyone's interested and they are very

> welcoming to everyone. In fact if you do go, stay

> for the community lunch (langar) and prashad

> (dessert like holy offerings similar to semolina

> pudding).

haiks, I have always wanted to go along for langar, but, even though I hear tell of almost legendary welcome and hospitality, have felt too awkward to do so. It seems to me such a wonderful thing to do, but I'm not remotely godly, nor in need, so thought it might be taking the piss rather..?

RosieH Wrote:

> haiks Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > There are some lovely gurudwaras in southall

> (mini

> > india) if anyone's interested and they are very

> > welcoming to everyone. In fact if you do go,

> stay

> > for the community lunch (langar) and prashad

> > (dessert like holy offerings similar to

> semolina

> > pudding).

>

> haiks, I have always wanted to go along for

> langar, but, even though I hear tell of almost

> legendary welcome and hospitality, have felt too

> awkward to do so. It seems to me such a wonderful

> thing to do, but I'm not remotely godly, nor in

> need, so thought it might be taking the piss

> rather..?

Rosie, think you should go if you want to! I'm personally a non follower but I find it is a really lovely place with spirited people who come together as a community. I think it is part of the sikh religion to be accepting and not judge, suits me just fine :)

Happy to offer more tips if you decide to go x

Rosie, I'm a semi frequent visitor to the Sikh temple on shawbury road, however the temple is only open twice a week and only serves langar once. For a good idea/experience of a Sikh temple and langar I would go with hails suggestion and visit a Sikh temple in southall. There is a relatively new one on Havelock road. It's a beautiful temple/gurudwara and langar is served throughout. I am happy to talk you through a visit If you'd like!

My mate cheerfully describes himself as a Bad Jew - as he says, he digs the swine! He sees religion as a social thing really.

In fact - I remember when I was living in Saudi, they were not shy of tucking into whisky and pork as soon as they stepped out of the country. Bahrain was their ibiza!

Sue Wrote:

> Maybe some Sikhs bend the "rules" a bit.

>

> Like some Catholics being on the pill?