Another ED Burglary

Zak

Another burglary took place last night in Oglander Road at the Grove Vale end. I understand that they got in through a window while the inhabitants were asleep and left without being detected. It's likely that they made their way to the house via the gardens between Oglander Road and Ondine Road.

Another reason to be vigilant. If you see anything suspcious, then call the police.

Cate, this is a first.. but i agree with you.

Everyone thinking their special posting about their stolen this and that, burgled etc.

There are loads of threads on this/these issues, same subject.

all saying the same thing: be vigilant/look out/ did anyone see.

becomes tedious

I am sorry for the OP though :(

If none I hope you never will. You've either been lucky in London or you're a recent arrival.

Hmm. Don't agree. I'd guestimate that at least 90% of people I know or have daily dealings with (colleagues, neighbours, friends of friends etc) have never been burgled. My badly protected student house was burgled when we were all out, but that is the extent of it.

I don't think I am 'lucky' because I don't think there is an evil tide of illegal house-entering that's swamping SE22, and because I take precautions and try to keep my local environment as uninviting for burglars as possible. It's not a gloat nor a sideways dig at anyone who has been burgled, so please don't jump on me for that. I just don't like such scaremongering/doom-laden lines as the one I reproduced above because they don't do anything to help.

Boards like this are helpful in alerting people to the dangers and to recent examples of burglary/muggings etc, but they can distort the true picture by creating a constant and self-feeding howl around of bad news.

I think that's the point isn't it. Certain types of property are more likely to be burgled, others aren't. I've only be burgled once, a garage I rent (and didn't lose very much) but my home is as secure as secure can be and neither me nor my neighbours have been burgled ever. So my perception of the area and crime is going to be very different to that of someone who has been burgled.

We have to remeber that it is very distressing for those that are burgled. Even if insured, some items are irreplaceable and no amount of insurance can take away the fear and paranoia that is a totally understandood after effect of knowing someone was in your house.

At the same time there are figures that truly show if crime is increasing or not.....

It certainly doesn't do any harm if there is a spate of burglaries in an area to publicise them.

Victims need to feel empowerment as part of the recovery and also, professional burglars do operate in gangs and target specific areas. Being extra vigilant in those areas might just lead to an arrest - you never know.

I still maintain that CCTV is the best method for catching thieves. A good quality four camera hard drive system (which requires no tape changing or daily maintenance can cost as little as ?300. And contrary to what anyone (including the Police) might say, it is NOT a contravention of the Data Portection Act to install CCTV on your property for the protection of your property, even if one camera is pointing into the street. Residential CCTV systems are exempt from the relevant clauses of the Data Protection Act.

I still maintain that CCTV is the best method for catching thieves.

As you probably gathered from the other thread, I am rather anti-CCTV - but that is only for the false selling premise that they 'prevent crime'. For working out who did it (and hopefully catching the buggers) then a good household CCTV unit is a good investment. And previous posters have pointed out, sometimes a small number of people are responsible for a large number of burglaries.

My apologies to anyone who would like this to have appeared on another thread or under another title.

The reason that I made this fresh post was to alert as many people as possible to a new burglary, hoping that it might lead to someone getting caught and/or prevent another break in.

The Forum is a great way of keeping people informed of what's happened and so far there have been over 900 views - fantastic. It may or may not mean somenoe gets caught or avoids being broken into, but knowing what's going on must surely help.

I suggested to the police that they should look at the Forum, but the guy looked at me blankly! They need to take a leaf out of Barry Jones book (the station master). He's used the Forum to great effect.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps the thread should be entitled 'Another

> Peckham/Bellenden/ Goose Green Triangle burglary'

> as it isn't ED.

Oh I don't know which is worse - burglary or pedantry! I hardly think that the thieves targetting this area would be so post-code sensitive that they would not dare stroll down the road and burgle an SE22 property!