Dodgy going ons

Marie81

Just home from browsing shops on Lordship Lane thinking how nice it is to be back in the area when I notice right in front on me a drug deal going on. They weren?t even subtle about it, just stood there blocking the pavement outside Somerfield passing it! That?s about the fourth one I have seen so blatantly in the last few weeks. You would think they would be more subtle!

jimmyraj: I am not shocked by it and know it goes on in all areas but you don't expect it to be passed infront of your face by boys on their bicycles in broad daylight on a busy high street do you? I would rather the scumbags do it somewhere a little less blatant out of my view.

I was driving down wood vale a couple of days ago with my elderly mum as a passenger - a car in front was parked in the middle of the road on the access to the mini round about - blocking the road to ourselves and any other oncoming traffic - We sat for a minute or so behind the vehicle waiting for it to move. I couldnt quite believe what appeared to be happening which appeared to be blatent deal going on - so blatent that they were prepared to hold up traffic in the process - if I was right about the paper being passed by the man in the road to the driver and the money exchanging hands - (yes having read the previous posts it looks quite likely) then thats pretty cheeky.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If someone's sitting in their car dealing drugs

> out of their window for 3 hours, you might want to

> consider reporting it to the police.

I would if it was bringing a lot of trouble with it but they're pretty peaceful on the whole so it doesn't bother me

if the government would see sense and legalize the things, taking the milti-million pound drugs trade out of the hands of criminals into their control and regulation, this kind of behaviour would not be necessary.

I would say that in the majority of these cases it was nothing more dangerous than a ?20 bag of weed being passed.

eater81 Wrote:

> if the government would see sense and legalize the

> things, taking the milti-million pound drugs trade

> out of the hands of criminals into their control

> and regulation, this kind of behaviour would not

> be necessary.

>

> I would say that in the majority of these cases it

> was nothing more dangerous than a ?20 bag of weed

> being passed.

Interesting idea... they could then tax it too. Could this assist us out of our economic misfortunes I wonder? ;-)

>

> Interesting idea... they could then tax it too.

> Could this assist us out of our economic

> misfortunes I wonder? ;-)

USA would never let this happen. The illegality of substances pushes their value up exponentially. This creates enormous wealth for some people and this wealth gives them power. To legalise many substances you would have to take the wealth away of many powerful people.

Not gonna happen!

rahrahrah Wrote:

> If someone's sitting in their car dealing drugs

> out of their window for 3 hours, you might want to

> consider reporting it to the police.

I would if it was bringing a lot of trouble with it but they're pretty peaceful on the whole so it doesn't bother me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry but is this a wind up? Someone drug dealing down the road from your home doesn't bother you???? So you're not bothered about someone going through your belongings whilst you're at work or your loved one having a knife put to their throat on their way back from the shops?? What do you think is at the route of most crimes..... they're not doing it to buy penny sweets!

Marie81 Wrote:

> I'm just venting really and wanted to see if it

> was just me or anyone else had noticed. Everytime

> I have seen it has been by people on bikes or on

> foot.

There's an enterprising young chap who rides his scooter up Greendale footpath and deals to the Alleyn's kids too.

UnderhillOliver Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If someone's sitting in their car dealing drugs

> > out of their window for 3 hours, you might want

> to

> > consider reporting it to the police.

>

> I would if it was bringing a lot of trouble with

> it but they're pretty peaceful on the whole so it

> doesn't bother me

>

> ----------

>

> sorry but is this a wind up?

No it isn't.

Someone drug dealing

> down the road from your home doesn't bother

> you????

There are probably people 'dealing', in one way or another, on most streets in this country, and commonly in middle class homes. So while it is perhaps not as common as driving a car, it probably is as common as riding a bicycle. And most of the time nobody pays any notice.

So you're not bothered about someone going

> through your belongings whilst you're at work or

> your loved one having a knife put to their throat

> on their way back from the shops?? What do you

> think is at the route of most crimes..... they're

> not doing it to buy penny sweets!

That's about as a complete misrepresentation of drugs as you can get. There are hundreds of thousands of middle class people buying and taking drugs every week. They do not rob banks, use knives (except when filleting fish or pruning their wisteria) or rifle through people's handbags. They pay their own hard-earned cash for drugs. Simple as.

What you're referring to is the few people who are hooked on certain drugs (crack and heroin), whose price is determined by the criminalisation of same, and who rob to pay for them. If drugs were de-criminalised, their price would fall and their distribution would no longer be controlled by criminals, and much of the problem of theft etc. would be at an end. But successive governments have been consistently two-faced about the whole issue, and refuse to listen to expert advice (so much for evidence-based policy!), and so we continue with the current farce.

And don't tell me that controlled (under the MoDA) drugs are 'dangerous': this government has no problem with the free circulation of some of the most dangerous drugs of all, and criminalises drugs that frankly it's difficult to find any evidence to characterise as more dangerous than carrots.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext

If people are dealing drugs in your area it is because people in your area are buying them. Supply and demand. It is probably more honest to deal with the demand than the supply. It is not like people go, oh my some chap is selling a bit o' coke at the end of my road I think I'll buy some. Its people in east dulwich want crack, I'll go to where my business is.

berryberry Wrote:

> If people are dealing drugs in your area it is

> because people in your area are buying them.

Couldn't agree more. I'm always surprised by the naivety of posts like this. Yes it goes on, and to be honest it isn't just the dregs of society dealing it or buying it. It's not just the blacks, the homeless, the jobless, the underclass, the poor, the gun brandishing rejects messing up the leafy suburbs scaring the locals, or the Peckham-ites daring to wander into ED in hope of doing some business. It's just as much the 'normal' people like you and I. The educated pulling up outside an affluent front door, because they know that's where the goodies are kept. I know because it happens round the corner from me, but we almost never wake the neighbours on the way out.

I totally agree with Beej, on this one I was going to say the same thing selling drugs and buying drugs are not just inner city areas.

I work in the third sector world and majority of my colleagues I work with are middle class and they buy drugs they don?t bat an eye lid about it.