Hallowe'en disappointment -- no trick-or-treaters

Alex K

No pumpkins?, I enquired of the attendant in the Dog Kennel Hill Sainsburys vegetable section Saturday morning. Sold out, sir, I'm afraid... I came home with the only vegetable marrow I've ever bought.

It's hollowed now, and carved with my imagined version of a melancholy spectre back-lit with a votive candle; and leering from the kitchen window down the front walk at any approaching parents and sprogs. The fruit bowl is emptied out and re-filled with fifty (FIFTY COUNT THEM FIFTY) bite-size Sainsbo generic chocolate bars, with another 50 in reserve.

But no one is coming to the door.

Phooey.

It's all very polite in our street - the little ones are out in force but seem to be abiding by the "no pumpkin no knocking" rule more so than in other years. We don't have decorations but I had stocked up just in case... looks like we'll be living on trick or treat goodies for a few months...

Alex K Wrote:

---------------------------------------------------

> But no one is coming to the door.

Really Alex??? We live on the same road!!!! I think the kids can read "SUCKERS LIVE HERE" on our door!

We have been ahem...bombarded with the little...ahem...cutie-pies...

...and have got through 10 apples, ?7, a small squash and...erm...a chilli!

Just for a giggle I answered "trick" to one of my cutsy neighbour's kids whereupon he threw a large non-scary plastic spider at me. Being a tactless sort, I laughed in his beautifully made up face and told him that I wasn't at all frightened...oh dear, his little face...I felt so guilty that I gave him an apple, some coins, a squash and...yes...that chilli LOL! Bless him, I love him really.

Such fun!

We had some lovely tricksters come to our door this evening - the last lot turned up in force (there was about 8 kids in the scrum) My little one is a bit too little to be out doing the knocking but she had just as much fun screaming TRICK OR TREAT back at them and then dishing out the big bowl of sweets. We did hang a lit pumpkin outside the door so that may have encouraged a few more visitors - all good harmless fun! x

Well, they showed up, although they took their sweet time about it... a clot of seven or eight youngsters from the neighbourhood, and all enjoying themselves immensely. Hurrah! Their enjoyment let us enjoy ourselves too.

The vegetable-marrow sculpture is in the compost bin; the Sainsbo treats destined for the ward sisters' desk, a spot frequented by junior doctors and suchlike. Locusts -- I bet the candy all will be gone by tomorrow.

@Ladymuck: Don't get a reputation for handing out apples, boxes of raisins, and sugar-free chewing gum. Word passes quickly among children, and memories last at least a year -- in 2011 the savvy ones, like Dorothy's daughter, will pass you by.

Alex K Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @Ladymuck: Don't get a reputation for handing out

> apples, boxes of raisins, and sugar-free chewing

> gum. Word passes quickly among children, and

> memories last at least a year -- in 2011 the savvy

> ones, like Dorothy's daughter, will pass you by.

*giggles like mad*

Hooray for Hallowe'en! We had loads of trick-or-treaters, most of whom had made a huge effort with their costumes and looked fantastic. My favourite was a very pathetic-looking 'broken doll' - excellent.

Only problem was that we ran out of sweeties and had to retire early, which was really disappointing. Last year we had lots left over. Still, was great fun while it lasted.

Sorry to hear that (perhaps inevitably) some of the more unpleasant aspects of Hallowe'en have also started to manifest themselves.

For once I actually bought a big tub of treats. We were out til about half 6, so may have missed some early callers, but had about 5 lots of kids, all within about half hour, then nothing.

Not that I'm complaining, but my teeth will suffer!