Travel to central London

cidered

Hi,

I am moving into East Dulwich (hopefully before Christmas).

Does anyone have any advice on the best route to Oxford Circus from Lordship Lane?

Also do we know when the tube will arrive at Denmark Hill/Peckham Rye? Are there any plans to extend the Bakerloo line?

Thanks in advance all.

Ed

Hi untamedstylist,

UK rubbish at cost effectively building or extending tubes lines - remember 2000 Jubilee line extension worked out at over ?200M/km.

Saying that recently DLR extended to Woolwich Arsenal for ?180m/2.5km but feels very much an aberation. It was turn key project with minimal London Underground involvement. Madrid they churn out new tube lines at ?30m/km

1930's plans in place started to be realised in early 1950's after WWII to extend Bakerloo line 2.5km to Camberwell Green and Denmark Hill station. Unfortunately they ran out of money/will.

The obvious thing would be to copy the DLR model. Cut some bus routes that would cover the same route and divert the roughly ?4M per bus route to pay the interest on some bonds as well as more tube revenue generated. Which is what I've been trying to glean sufficient information together to propose.

There are so many routes you can take, it depends on how you like to travel and what time of day it is (I?ll get trains during the day, buses at night). I often make my mind up on the route depending on which form of transport turns up first when I get to the bottom of the road (i.e. a 484 or a 37).

Train: to London Bridge from ED and the Jubilee line from there to Bond Street as already suggested. Or, bus up to Denmark Hill/37 to Peckham Rye and then a train to Victoria, then either the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus or a bus depending on which end you want/time of day/state of the tube.

Bus: 37 to Brixton, and then the Victoria line to Oxford Circus. 176 or 40 to Elephant and Castle and then the Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus. 185 to Oval, Northern Line to Tottenham Court Road. 176 all the way to Tottenham Court Road, or 12 all the way to Oxford Circus.

As I work in central London, during the week I?m in town already. My usual route back from Oxford Street would be Bakerloo to E&C, then a 63 to Peckham Rye as I live that side of East Dulwich. Or if I?m laden with shopping and can?t be bothered with changing, I?ll pick up a 12 from just north of Oxford Circus (first stop). I don?t tend to get the train routes in the evening, as there is too much chopping and changing. It takes about the same amount of time as taking the bus the whole way, for which I usually allow an hour, but can take 40 minutes if you?ve got a speedy bus driver and not too much traffic?

HTH

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi untamedstylist,

> UK rubbish at cost effectively building or

> extending tubes lines - remember 2000 Jubilee line

> extension worked out at over ?200M/km.

>

> Saying that recently DLR extended to Woolwich

> Arsenal for ?180m/2.5km but feels very much an

> aberation. It was turn key project with minimal

> London Underground involvement. Madrid they churn

> out new tube lines at ?30m/km

>

> 1930's plans in place started to be realised in

> early 1950's after WWII to extend Bakerloo line

> 2.5km to Camberwell Green and Denmark Hill

> station. Unfortunately they ran out of

> money/will.

>

> The obvious thing would be to copy the DLR model.

> Cut some bus routes that would cover the same

> route and divert the roughly ?4M per bus route to

> pay the interest on some bonds as well as more

> tube revenue generated. Which is what I've been

> trying to glean sufficient information together to

> propose.

The prices are shameful. A few years ago I was in Madrid and any single journey on the Metro (ANYWHERE! from one end to the other if you wanted) was 1 Euro (about 75p at the time). A similar journey on the London Tube would prolly cost five or six times as much and on a much grubbier route.

wjfox Wrote:

> In my experience, the 176 is extremely unreliable.

>

xxxxxxxxx

Depends what time you're travelling.

If you're wanting to go just on buses, to avoid the long 12 detour round Peckham, you can bus hop to the Elephant and then pick up the 12 there to Oxford Circus, though I hate travelling on bendy buses and personally wouldn't go via that route.

I find the 176 a bit stressful at peak times, too. It's often so crowded that a few buses go past me before I get on. Even if I wake up and leave earlier than a sane person should, it still takes me a good hour door to door (office is Holborn), sometimes more. The traffic along Camberwell Green/Walworth Rd is shocking.

I used to live in the suburbs and I'm loving how regular the buses are in comparison, but I can't believe my commute now takes as long (from zone 2), if not longer!

So maybe something like the DLR model would be good. In the meantime, more buses, please!

Saying that, if you can get a seat, it's a nice way to settle down with a good book :-)

If you're looking for speed into central London, though, the Brixton/Elephant routes are probably best!

( Phew, can't believe I just wrote so much about bloody buses...that's what south-east London does to you - turns everyone into a bus spotter! ;-) )

I think it greatly depends on what time of day you are travelling and where exactly you live. If, for example, you are near to Goose Green, it would make sense to board the 176 and grit your teeth, especially if you want to travel around 08 00 on a weekday. If you live nearer to Barry Road and want a door-to-door service, get the 12, but be prepared for a journey of at least 50 minutes.

Trains are faster, but when you ahve to get to the station, wait, get off, change, then get a Tube or a bus to your final destination, they lose their original selling point.

There have been many routes suggested but I'm going to add mine anyway. I used to work in Bond Street and had many different routes depending on my mood, the weather and speediness required. Here they are:

Train to LB then jubilee to Bond Street (hated the tube part but was the quickest for me but I only did it in the mornings)

Walk to victoria (30mins) then 185 - an odd one and I only did it evenings but the walk through green park is nice and I like the 185, it's quite reliable since it's the first stop and I got to relax and read my book.

Walk to Charing cross then get the train to LB then train to ED. Not as tranquil walk wise, tourists everywhere but great in the morning when the tourists are still in bed.

Walk to tottenham court (20 mins from my office) road then 176 - takes quite a while but it is the first stop so always get a seat. The 176 is a 24 hour bus which is handy to know.

12 - never again at peak times.

anonymous_third_part Wrote:

> train to elephant and castle then bakerloo line -

> quickest and easiest

From what station? None from ED.

It does really depend on where you are. From Denmark Hill, after first taking a bus, or walking, go to Victoria and from there you can get anywhere. Or from ED, when at London Bridge, do the hop to the Charing Cross Line. If you want Northern Line, or Jubilee Line then stay at LB.

cate Wrote:

> anonymous_third_part Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > train to elephant and castle then bakerloo line

> -

> > quickest and easiest

>

> From what station? None from ED.

>

Get on a train at ED, change at Peckham Rye.

guys you complain about the 176... surely if you bus hop - say get on an empty 40 which are regular at most times of day - to camberwell you will find the 176 a lot less crowded at that point...

The 12 is certainly a long winded route and getting around westminster (even before you cross over the bridge) and through to traf sq can seem like you've wasted a great deal of your life. the return journey is much better though.

My daily journey to work, westminster, usually involves 2-4 buses northbound and generally 2 buses back. I use different routes to (takes about, including waiting times, 45 mins - yes thats wiv 4 buses!) and from (takes just over an hour)work.

I'm not much of a fan of waiting around at train/tube stations as these ways can certiainly sometimes take either the same or longer time than catching a bus.

The best way really is to try it yourself and come up with the best route that suits you.