tube station in ED

will they ever put one here? everyone rants how its an up and coming area yet no tube station! and its such a pain in the bum getting to central in under an hour! it's only a 12 min train journey to london bridge.... so cant they put a tube down... (td)

takes me about 30-45 mins just to get to london bridge then 21 mins on the tube to leicester square... so to get central takes about an 1 hr and 6 mins .....

i believe the busses are far quicker....

176 is in leicester square in about an hour depending on traffic

12 around about the same.... but can never say because of trafic!

can anyone reccomend areas with a tube as nice as ED and as relatively cheap to rent much with only 20 mins to get into central?

untamedstylist Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> can anyone reccomend areas with a tube as nice as

> ED and as relatively cheap to rent much with only

> 20 mins to get into central?

The reason we can all afford to live here is there is no tube. Why anyone wants to descend into a stinky sweaty hole to get to work when, as you say, it's only a 12 minute train journey to LB, is beyond me.

There will never be an underground that's actually under the ground because of the geology - there are old threads about this.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

> There will never be an underground that's actually

> under the ground because of the geology - there

> are old threads about this.

That's not really true, a tube needn't be underground - see East London Line which stops at oh so far away Forest Hill

lofty23 Wrote:

> peterstorm1985 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > There will never be an underground that's

> actually

> > under the ground because of the geology - there

> > are old threads about this.

>

>

> That's not really true, a tube needn't be

> underground - see East London Line which stops at

> oh so far away Forest Hill

Er, so it's not an underground tube! It's a London Overground normal train service that happens to be run by TfL.

Also remember that the East London Line is coming to Peckham Rye in 2012 giving quick connections to inner east and west London, albeit at the expense of further service losses to London Bridge and Victoria.

A tube would of course be great (especially given the terrible Sunday and evening services on the train), but it will never happen. I'm sure tunelling through South London is technically possible these days, but it would be such a mammouth project, it's almost unthinkable.

There's no such thing as an area which is nice, affordable, close to the centre, and with a tube. Because if there was, everybody would want to live there, so it wouldn't be affordable for very long.

If you want somewhere affordable with a tube, East London is the way to go (but most of it is not very nice).

NO TUBE PLEASE, people like it here because there isn't one not, despite of it (actually I'm only really talking about myself here!)

It's nice and quiet and suburban around these parts, a little piece of peace in London, a tube may only ruin that. The trains are excellent, from Peckham Rye you can go to London Bridge and Victoria in 15 minutes, what more do you need. Yes sometimes you have to plan your journey early but so what. I think you should stop complaining to be honest!

How about Brockley/Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill etc on the ELL. Tube-like frequencies (well tube-lite but still better than trains), short hop to Surrey Quays, then Jubilee line into town.

(and 20 minutes on tube to leicester square? Why not hop on train to charing cross - 5 mins - and then walk - another 5 mins?)

it may only take 12 mins but its the regularity of the trains! sometimes 15 mins sometimes 30-40 mins......

and sadly i dont live right next to the train station! its a good 20 min journey there! thats what im talking about!

and i was reffering to getting to central which takes another 20 minsfrom LB.... i

guess im just not used to travelling an hour or more to work...

and a tube would probably get to CENTRAL in about 30 mins from ED would be great!

but sadly wont happen

untamed... I apologise if the responses so far haven't really understood the gravity of your situation; it takes you an hour to get to work and you don't like it.

I suggest that we start a petition right now to get a tube installed FORTHWITH to end this needless suffering.

1. Felt-tip

2. Mrs. Felt-tip (Felt-tip appointed proxy)

I agree with NJC. If you're going to Leicester Sq, take the train to London Bridge, then run over to platform 6 for the very frequent trains to Charing Cross. Also stop at Waterloo East, so easy for S. Bank.

Or get a bike - it's 15 mins from where I live in Dulwich to Brixton tube station.

To be fair, most people think you need to be on a tube line in zone 1/2 when they first come to London, but there are loads of other transport options and generally life's nicer (and cheaper) once you get off the tube map.

AcedOut Wrote:

> Nice tip on Charing Cross trains. I had never

> considered that in 5 years of living here!

I worked in Covent Garden and took the train journey to Charing Cross every day - just a few minutes walk from the station, and you don't pay extra for the hop from LB. Just as we were moving offices I bumped into a fellow ED resident who'd been catching the tube from LB to get to the office. More money and much longer (+sweatier unpleasant). I think the word 'gutted' was the only appropriate one.

There is always the Boris-kicked-it-into-the-long-grass option of the tram up to Camden, and the somewhere-in-Peter-Hendy's-freezer option of extending the Bakerloo line down to Camberwell.

Personally I'm with those who prefer not to have the tube, it keeps out everybody who thinks "north/south of the river" is an important distinction out of our way, rents down and drunks in Clapham :))

@peterstorm: No geologist, me. But in UNDERGROUND TO EVERYWHERE (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Underground-Everywhere-Londons-Railway-Capital/dp/075092585X) I read that a cabal of railway interests, and not Mother Nature, prevented diggings on their South London patch -- securing mass-transport choice in this part of London to the railways then, now, and forevermore.

I'd favour a Tube stop at Goose Green if it meant that a sushi bar would open around here. Otherwise, status quo is fine with me.

I'm also glad there is no underground service. Being slightly olive skinned, I'd be worried that the police will pretend that I hurdled the ticket barrier (even though I used my Oyster card) & were suspicious of my big padded coat (even though I was only wearing a thin jean jacket) & chased me down to the tube train & pumped 15 bullets into my head.