Lordship Lane - best highstreet in London? (The Times)

Saila

Article:

Is this the best high street in London? Open spaces for kids, boutiques, quaint streets and gastropubs - East Dulwich has it all, says Natalie Young

East Dulwich, the trendy, scruffier neighbour of smart Dulwich Village, has lovely streets, open spaces, boutiques, excellent schools and Lordship Lane, the best high street in London. Or so say the residents of London SE22.

Who lives here? Families with young children ? the mum who wears vintage f loral frocks, feeds her family organic food and rides a bike is a frequent sight. City-types like the schools and the easy commute to the Square Mile ? minutes in the car or by train.

Any famous people? The writers Monica Ali and Rachel Seiffert rub shoulders with the comedians Jo Brand and Sue Perkins.

What are the houses like? Lovely Victorian and Edwardian terraces and semis, and some 1920s homes with their original stained-glass windows towards Sydenham and Forest Hill. Smaller properties, commonly known as half-houses, can be found in Heber Road, Pellatt Road, Zenoria Street and Tintagel Crescent. They often have two bedrooms, two reception rooms, a bathroom and private garden. The roads around East Dulwich Grove ? Trossachs, Tarbert and Glengarry ? are ideal for those who want to be close to Dulwich Village.

Which are the best streets? Any of the streets leading off Lordship Lane (Winkworth, 020-8299 2722, is selling a four-bedroom house on Melbourne Grove for ?699,950) and the high-end properties filling the streets between Dulwich library and Dulwich Park, including the huge detached houses on Eynella Road, one of which is in the process of selling for ?1.5 million.

What's the transport like? Trains run south to Streatham and East Croydon; and north to London Bridge via Peckham Rye. The number 12 bus takes you to Oxford Circus.

And the schools? Best among the state primaries are St Anthony's RC, Goodrich and Heber. The state secondaries are Kingsdale, The Charter School and Waverley School. Fee-paying schools include Dulwich College, Alleyn's, James Allen's Girls' School and their respective prep schools.

How about caf?s and restaurants? Lots of cosy coffee shops and gastropubs. Locals rate Franklins, and Green & Blue, which is also a deli and wine shop.

Tell me more about those green spaces Dulwich Park has grand trees, some wonderful gardens, a caf? and an adventure playground.

What about shopping? Lots of local independent shops, including delis and William Rose Butchers. The delightfully quirky Fairies & Floozies on Melbourne Grove sells dresses, coats, belts and scarves made by a local designer at bargain prices.The mum who wears vintage floral frocks, feeds her family organic food and rides a bike is a frequent sight in East Dulwich

Deli delights: Franklins, on Lordship Lane, is a haven for lovers of fine food. Its restaurant is nearby.

Ooops, cross-posted with Drew so deleted article.

The picture shows a man pushing a funny looking buggy outside Franklins Farm Shop with the caption: Deli delights: Franklins, on Lordship Lane, is a haven for lovers of fine food

Mary Turner for The Times

There's also a picture gallery of seven pics including Green & Blue

Sue has the right of it.

East Dulwich, the trendy, scruffier neighbour of smart Dulwich Village, has lovely streets, open spaces, boutiques, excellent schools and Lordship Lane, the best high street in London. Or so say the residents of London SE22.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Open Spaces in Lordship Lane?

It's dreadfully sad, when people think of Dulwich Park or Peckham Rye as the epitome of green space. A lot better than nothing, as our Victorian benefactors realised, but still just suburban parks.

Let's get the article printed onto T shirts and promenade round the streets of Nunhead and Forest Hill swanking and putting on side.

I know the good burghers of ED are usually modest as head lice but when we've something to swank about I say we get out there and swank like camels.

Who's with me?

"Any famous people? The writers Monica Ali and Rachel Seiffert rub shoulders with the comedians Jo Brand and Sue Perkins".

The author's confused I reckon.

Jo Brand was a pyschiatric nurse and she plays a nurse in her new series but she's not as far as I know a physiotherapist nor are any of the others.

What can he/she be getting at?

Me. Sounds like too many of here have got too much of a hump to swank like camels. Shame.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's get the article printed onto T shirts and

> promenade round the streets of Nunhead and Forest

> Hill swanking and putting on side.

>

> I know the good burghers of ED are usually modest

> as head lice but when we've something to swank

> about I say we get out there and swank like

> camels.

>

> Who's with me?