Burglary on Upland Rd ..

BQC

.. @ 6.30am this morning. a neighbour getting on his bike saw the burglar in the front room, banged on the window, which woke the owners sleeping upstairs.

guy got in via back garden/back door. no arrests as yet.

be vigilant east dulwich citizens !

Be prepared. A discreet 999 call, even at the cost of a small delay in time, could be more effective than any other action, unless you're capable yourself of arresting the person(s).

Any sign of transport, btw, or do we have a lone burglar on foot?

OK, Upland newshounds... here's what happened: t'was us that got done. It's the first time in more than 12 years here... although another of our neighbours had an incident a couple of weeks back, spotting a would-be burglar in their side passage. Yes, extremely vigilant neighbour saw our burglar going through our stuff in our front room as we slept upstairs. He'd broken in at back of house and had come from the garden side... this was his escape route too, over our fence and up through the Friern gardens towards Underhill. Police were very fast and sealed off escape routes within minutes. They expressed some surprise to me that our gardens are "so open". Police dog lost scent in new mews off Friern though and he got away. Everything he nicked was stuffed into a red and black Swissgear backpack, which, if you happen to find it dumped in your bin or your garden, I'd love back -- along with any of the personal stuff that's of no use to anyone... including whatever remains of the contents of two wallets (one of them a red leather purse with gold clasp), a couple of notebooks; remainder of the valuables that were stolen will presumably be long gone. My neighbour's description of the thief was: male, about 25 years old, stocky build, South Asian complexion.

Sorry to hear about your break-in. Do you mind saying how they got in - ie removed window or what? 4 burglaries in my road in the last two weeks. Side entrances. Evidence of someone being in my side passage as fence partially broken. What did the police mean about open gardesn? Low fences?

Sorry to hear about your break in. We are also in Upland Road (near Underhill road) and it must have been the same guy - broke into our shed and took a rather expensive road bike between Monday late eve and Tues morning....Sounds as if he is doing the rounds. Let's hope he gets caught soon!

My neighbours shed was broken into last thursday night (friern road) and two of his bikes were stolen, his garden is not even visable from the road. Saw the police this morning on friern looking between the houses on the side that backs onto Upland road.

I hope he/they are caught soon - how brazen to enter someones house at any time let alone that time of the morning.

Ramble66 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> After we were burgled we had a visonic wireless

> alarm fitted with vibration sensors on all the

> windows and doors. This allows us to set the

> 'home' setting at night with out the risk of

> triggering the alarm. Highly recommend.

Ramble - can I ask how much you paid and did you fit it yourself or get the experts in?

SCSB79 Wrote:

> Ramble - can I ask how much you paid and did you

> fit it yourself or get the experts in?

We had it professionally fitted but the guy wasn't NACOSS registered. I think it was ?360 but I'll check. The Nacoss thing is only important for insurance purposes. Your premium may be a lower, but you'll have to pay for annual maintenance on the alarm and you ALWAYS have to remember to set it. I think if you forget and you are unfortunate enough to get burgled your insurer could refuse to payout.

I'd highly recommend the Visonic wireless system, I think ours is the powermax complete. It's linked to our phoneline so calls us if the alarm is triggered. Easy to set with a fob we keep on our keys.

The guy we used was Graham Eve of TPG Security - 07778166067. He used to work for one of the big companies but has branched out on his own.

• 2 weeks later...

@ SCSB79, I also had an alarm system fitted and have additional window vibration alarms which are fantastic.

My alarm is with ADT and cost ?299, however ADT wireless alarms start from as little as ?99. The Window vibrations I got from victim support, they are so sensitive you can set it off by touching the window frame. My flat is like fort knots at the moment with alarm system, window alarms & Panic button. I know it sounds a bit extreme; however I do not want to be a victim to another burglary..