Improved train services from East/North Dulwich

TJMP

I have just received final confirmation that there will be a series of improvements to the rail timetable from East Dulwich station which will be implemented from 12th December this year:

Extra Mon-Sat evening trains from London Bridge along the East Dulwich route and on to Tulse Hill. This will provide a 15 min service to East Dulwich right through the evening up to 00:03 instead of the current 30 min service after 8:18 pm which finishes at 11:48.

Extra Sunday services between London Bridge and Crystal Palace via East Dulwich (total of four trains per hour instead of the current two).

Later Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning trains from London Bridge to East Dulwich at 00:18 and 00:33.

Along with the use of Oyster PAYG on local railway stations and the extension of ticket office opening hours, these changes formed part of the contractual requirements under the franchise agreement that was awarded last year. There has also been a big improvement in the spacing of morning peak trains into London since May which I wrote about on the EDF earlier this year.

Tessa Jowell MP

I'm aware that sliding_doors has produced a really useful pocket timetable in the past.

I have attached a very much less handy, but hopefully informative, timetable for the week as from 12 December from/to East Dulwich and London Bridge. (The late Fri/Sat and Sat/Sun services start the following weekend).

Tessa Jowell

(Edited to add correct timetable - TJ's office)

Good news indeed, so thanks for letting us know about it.

Could you acknowledge the frustration of SE London residents regarding comparatively poor provision of rail transport and see whether a rail stop at Camberwell could be built? Ideally, if I were asking for the rail equivalent of the moon, I'd like the Bakerloo line to come to Camberwell, but I understand that is much less likely than a new stop on an existing overground line. And finally, the 63 bus stops at Brenchley Gardens and could really do with being extended to Honor Oak Park so that more people can make use of the very good new Overground services from that station. Try walking up the hill from the last 63 stop to get to the station and then consider whether my request is valid! Regards, Nero

Brilliant news, no more hanging round a cold and drafty London Bridge station for half an hour in the evening having just missed the train, those 15 minutes less waiting is appreciated. Plus we can stay in town later! Thanks for letting us know TJMP.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> see whether a rail stop at Camberwell could be built?

There was a Camberwell station, but it was decommissioned in the sixties. It was - not surprisingly - situated on Camberwell Station Road, you can still see some of the old building (now mechanics workshops). I'm assuming it's on the same line as Loughborough Junction.

Jeremy Wrote:

> There was a Camberwell station, but it was decommissioned in the sixties. It was - not

> surprisingly - situated on Camberwell Station Road, you can still see some of the old building

> (now mechanics workshops). I'm assuming it's on the same line as Loughborough Junction.

It is. Camberwell New Rd station on the enlarged detail of the map here

Good news about the improved timetable for those living in the NW side of East Dulwich.

Hi Nero,

Network Rail has stated that if a railway station were opened at Camberwell they would close loughborough Junction station as it would be so close. You can imagine how popular that would be.

I actually believe extending the Bakerloo Line is much more likely.

That's excellent news.

I usually get the 40 back if I'm around London Bridge in the evening, I'll be more likely to use the train now if I know I won't have to wait more than fifteen minutes for one, even though it's a longer walk for me at the ED end.

Thanks for posting it Tessa.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good news about the improved timetable for those

> living in the NW side of East Dulwich.

>

> Hi Nero,

> Network Rail has stated that if a railway station

> were opened at Camberwell they would close

> loughborough Junction station as it would be so

> close. You can imagine how popular that would be.

> I actually believe extending the Bakerloo Line is

> much more likely.

Now that would be fantastic :-) would make a massive difference here!!