Attempted Mugging

A female friend of mine was running around Peckham Rye (on the pavements around the outside) just before 7:30 on Wednesday night. Outside Harris Girls School she was grabbed by a man who demanded she give him money.

Unfortunately he would not listen to her when she tried to explain that she was out running and therefore had no money. Her screaming alerted another runner who tried to get the man stop....and who the mugger then tried to get money from too.

She was not hurt (nor was the other man) but the experience lasted 2 minutes and was extremely terrifying for her. Anybody walking or running around the top of the park please keep you wits about you and, especially if you are a lone female, think about running somewhere better lit and more resedential.

Police have reason to believe the mugger may have been the same man who stole the car in this Car Robber thread

My friend would also like to thank the man (John?) who came to help - she is extremely grateful to him.

Another attempted mugging last night.

Corner of Cyrena Road.

Midnight, 20 year old black kid.

(not me, but a male friend in his 30's.

Fortunately nothing came of it.

But my friend was quite shaken by the experience.

Sadly, he's not going to report it.... :(

I think you should go back to him and point out that muggers get ever braver in the amount of violence they use at each attempt. His reporting it could prevent an escalation. I expect he would be upset if he later heard that someone had been seriously hurt by a mugger of a description matching his, and that reporting the attack on him could have prevented it.

A friend and I witnessed a mugging in daylight in Peckham Rye Park 2 weeks ago when we were out walking our dogs - a young black kid on a bike took the phone out of the hands of a woman who was talking on it at the time. We called the police and reported it and gave a description straight away. As he cycled past us, he slowed down, eyeballed grinning and pulled up a black scarf over his face before riding off.

How can a mugging not be serious enough to report?? I agree with peterstorm - have to get control and not allow ourselves to be held to ransom in this way. Going to someone's home and demanding, with the prospect of violence, that they hand over their keys? It disgusts me. How can that family relax now knowing he was probably waiting for the husband to leave for work before the attack?

As a lone female runner I often take this route for my later runs, and was actually out doing the route on Wed night when your friend got attacked. I am terrified by your story and will definitely be rethinking my winter running routes.

I hope your friend has recovered from the shock and can get back to enjoying her running soon.

Hi Pearson,

If your friend doesn't want to report it directly to the Police they can report is via Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.

Failing that if they email me direct I'm in regualr contact with the Police and will happilly pass the details on in my name.

Every reported crime is another piece in the jigsaw for our local Police to help protect us all.

copleston_charlie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think was one of the benefits of the informal

> running club which was mentioned on here a few

> months back. Is it worth trying to kick that off

> again on a midweek night? Meet at the corner of

> East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye? You've also got

> the Dulwich runners who go charging around en

> masse.

It's still happening on tuesday evenings, but could extend to other nights too if more people get involved. http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,459812,page=3