Best way to the M1

5imon

Thought I might copy another open thread to help us northerners get back oop north this yuletide.

Early mornings: (<9am)

E dulwich, denmark hill, camberwell, oval, vauxhall bridge, h p corner, edgeware road, M1.

did it last satdee, left at 7.30am was on the M1 45 mins later. chuffed, i were.

What about other times of day? M25 clockwise?

Depends how early in the morning, but well before 8 or returning late at night, I've done this route in under 30 mins.

Cut through Peckham, Southampton Way, 'through' Burgess Park, Thurlow St to cut round the back of Walworth Rd to elephant and Castle, over Waterloo Bridge, round Aldwych and up Kingsway, round Russell Sq and up to Euston Road, schlepp along Euston rd and up the West side of Regent's Park, up Avenue Rd to Swiss Cottage, Finchley Rd and Hendon Way and off you go.

It sounds complex, but looks better on a map ;-)

Definitely what he says. Got to be early or late though to avoid ballache traffic. Blackwell tunnel, A13, M11 is another good one, it's always a clear run to the A1

copleston_charlie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Depends how early in the morning, but well before

> 8 or returning late at night, I've done this route

> in under 30 mins.

> Cut through Peckham, Southampton Way, 'through'

> Burgess Park, Thurlow St to cut round the back of

> Walworth Rd to elephant and Castle, over Waterloo

> Bridge, round Aldwych and up Kingsway, round

> Russell Sq and up to Euston Road, schlepp along

> Euston rd and up the West side of Regent's Park,

> up Avenue Rd to Swiss Cottage, Finchley Rd and

> Hendon Way and off you go.

>

> It sounds complex, but looks better on a map ;-)

I have to ride up to the M1 quite regularly and at different times of day.

Here are some variations.

At Marble Arch go up the A41 (ie instead of Edgeware Road go up the little bit of Oxford Street you can do before having to turn left up Grosvenor Place/Road - parallel to Baker Street), then you go past Lords and Swiss Cottage and the A41 allows you then to join M1 later.

Sometimes for a little detour - at Swiss Cottage I go straight up through Hampstead (up St John's Road I think it's called?) and up and around the top bit of the Heath, then do a left up The Bishops Avenue. Just for a laugh. A Lesson in How to be afraid for your wealth! Then at the top do a left and you're on the A1 which leads to M1.

Going through the City in a car would be a pain but if you have a little time and you're going outside regular day time or evening times, it's worth it just to see the new buildings (well, and old ones!). Go over London Bridge and take the 11.00 o'clock turn (as distinct from the 9.00 oclock, 1.00 o'clock and 3 oclock) through the City via Princes Street and Moorgate. Go past Finsbury Square which should be on your right. At the Old Street Roundabout go straight over and then hang a right To The North. Then keep going through up through Holloway Road (dull, but wide) and Archway and you're on the A1 leading to M1. Actually that's my least fave route!

I have used Peckham Rose's route a few times, but Mrs Kford recommends taking the A40 out to the Hanger Lane Gyratory and then getting on the North Circular. I scoffed, but it's actually much quicker. Fewer traffic lights and more lanes.

I go the same route as Copleston Charlie and have found that to be the easiest and quickest. Coming back, we got sick of getting stuck on the Euston Road on a Sunday night so now head for King's Cross, go down the side of St Pancras Station and on the road running parallel with Grays Inn Road (it avoids the traffic) then over Blackfriars Bridge.

I've tried other routes, over more years than I care to admit to and recently got stuck for ages in a queue for the Blackwall Tunnel after coming down the M11 from the A1, so won't make a habit of that one.

I regularly head to the Midlands of a weekend and have done for years.

On a working Friday I get up at 5am, leave at 5.45am - drive over Waterloo Bridge, through the Strand underpass and on to Euston Rd, turn left and keep going on the A40 to Hillingdon. Park at Hillingdon tube station at about 6.15am, pay ?5 for all day parking and get the tube back into town.

At the end of the day the tube back to Hillingdon takes about 40 minutes and then in the car it takes about 10 minutes to get onto the M40.

From ED to the M40 on a Friday late PM would take about 21/2 hours.