White van X192 CFT - took box from outside my house

twinmummy

This van came down my road (East Dulwich / Forest Hill Road side) today and stopped, took a box from outside my house, put it in the back of the van and drove off. The man who got out of the passenger side to get the box was wearing a high-vis bib thing.

In the box was a large artificial Christmas tree which I was throwing out and had intended to take to my kids' nursery later today. Couldn't run after them or shout as I was upstairs in the very early stages of dressing!

I know sometimes vans pull up to ask builders if they want rubbish etc collecting, but this wasn't one of those.

The box could easily have been a parcel that had just been delivered and left outside.

I'm not unduly bothered about the tree, just concerned that these men are up to no good.

Anyone else seen / experienced this?

>I'm not unduly bothered about the tree, just concerned that these men are up to no good.

Indeed. If they are stealing, which is quite presumable. they could have been at it for months. Do tell the police. They like information, and suspects in possession of evidence.

[Added] OTOH, they might just have been assuming it was rubbish. That might still amount to theft, though in that case you might well not want to assist a prosecution (I doubt the police would act anyway). I think on balance I'd still at least pass on the information to the police, on the basis of its being possibly very useful.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Was it on your private front garden, or on the

> pavement?

>

> Vans drive round the local area all the time,

> looking for scrap metal and other valuable items.

> I always thought that if it's on the pavement,

> it's fair game.

This is a very important point of difference. If the box was on private property then it's clearly theft but if it was on the pavement then it could reasonably be thought to be rubbish. As the OP has put the registration number of the vehicle, and so the person who took the item can be identified, I think it essential that we know where the box was.

I put a battered old trunk that I found in the loft in our front garden the other week, and within literally 5 minutes it was gone (I didn't see who took it). To be honest, someone did me a favour. The broader lesson may be that, in practical terms, there is no such thing as storing items in the front garden. Strictly speaking it was theft - I think the same may apply to taking items out of skips.

When I first moved to London my brother told me if you want to get rid of anything, stick it in your garden. I didn't believe him at first, but it's true! When we lived in Streatham we wanted shot of an old tv that didn't work - stuck it on the drive, it was gone the same morning. In Clapham, vans patrol the streets looking for stuff to take from your garden all the time. When my brother renovated his house he practically used it as a free skip service. Lots of stuff got taken - old baths, fireplaces, pipes etc. Now in Ed, if I ever want anything getting rid of and can't be bothered to put it on freecycle I stick it at the end of the drive.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, mind.

I agree if it's on the pavement and doesn't look like a just delivered item i.e. taped up etc then expect things to be taken. We've got rid of a lot of stuff this way but also had a set of packaged just delivered shelves stolen within half an hour of delivery. It sounds like they thought it was left out for anyone to take.

Its a terraced house's front garden, so tiny (only about 3 foot stretch from the front door) but it's definitely private property. It could easily have looked like a freshly delivered parcel as it was a cleanish white cardboard box - about 6 foot tall with brown parcel tape around it in parts. Not "rubbishy looking" and it was literally propped up next to my front door as I'd popped it there to hoover the hall this morning and then assumed it would be fine there until I had a chance to stick it in my car to take to nursery later.

I'm not really moaning so much as warning other people not to think things will be ok to stick outside for a short while! I leave my double buggy outside the front door for much of every day - might not now!

The best thing to do is call 999 immediately with the car registration number, they will put a CAD on and circulate it via all the local units who will stop and search the van. The van will always be known to CAD then so in the future if anything happens there is previous allegations.

It wasn't theft because HE BELIEVED that it had been left out their for someone to take. It's all in the mens rea!

I've noticed this too, Whenever any large (even broken) item is left for the council to collect, it's taken.

I've seen people pick up chests of drawers, broken tvs etc. and carry it off.

What do people want with all this stuff.

Gavin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I put a battered old trunk that I found in the

> loft in our front garden the other week, and

> within literally 5 minutes it was gone (I didn't

> see who took it). To be honest, someone did me a

> favour. The broader lesson may be that, in

> practical terms, there is no such thing as storing

> items in the front garden. Strictly speaking it

> was theft - I think the same may apply to taking

> items out of skips.

My guess is that this is indicative of how tough the economy has become (or perhaps always has been) for some people. As an example, I recently spotted two small tents pitched in the middle of some scrubland in ED.

My sister recently cleared out her house, putting stuff outside with a sign for people to help themselves. Suffice to say that it didn't take long for word to spread, and a procession of people took it almost all away.

Incidentally, I don't think the cases above would merit a 999 call. If you are concerned then a call to the local police station - or even directly to the Safer Neighbourhoods Team - might be better. If they think immediate action is required then they can summon it.