Power Cuts (last night and Friday)

chichirara

I live on Barry rd and the power went off at 9 45pm Friday night and returned at 4 am ish and off again at 9 30 ish Saturday morning and when I returned after 10 pm it had just started to warm the rads. I had to leave the place to go to a buddies who had the 'taken for granted' central heating roaring away which seemed nothing short of wonderful.

So if anyone wants to know how to extend their week-end,

just turn the power off to your abode,

you will find it's the longest week-end of the year or your life.

There was a silver lining to this tale of woe,

I went and ate Sheperds pie at 'Homemade' which was delicious and almost made up for the fact of having no heating, lighting, or cooking facilities.

It made me realise how vulnerable we would be, and what would happen if the Russians turned their substantial gas tap off, expect riots in the cold.

These power cuts are usually in rotation, with every other street in the dark. I think they are just saving electricity

so they can still light up the city centre. A rotten thing to do to people in this kind of weather.

I think we should all have rebates, big time for this kind of inconvieniance.

They dont put out any warning, just shut you down. no heat,no lights no hot water for a drink.

Then they still charge us. No apology. Someone should investigate why this happens every winter. the profits they are

making ,we should be getting better service. The swines.

I have just received a letter asking for the times and dates of the power loss and compensation is to be paid.

The letter headed UK POWER NETWORKS, NICOLE SCOOT, CENTENARY HOUSE 161 BIDDER ST, LONDON E16 4ET

they offer ?54 for a domestic customer or ?108 for a business, which is nice.

A further ?27 for each additional 12 hour period without power.

I pay British Gas for my electricity!

So get your claims in pronto.

Just watch out since there are two different reasons for compensation and the second one is less well known even when you speak to billing departments. I put my claim in through my normal payment route rather than UK Power Networks though.

You're entitled to the compensation if the power is off for more than 18 hours at one time - which is the one they all know about and will try to fob you off if it wasn't 18 hours in total. This is also the one where the compensation will keep rising for every 12 hours beyond that - although I think they get a bit of grace if it was weather-related in terms of the cash bumping up.

The second one is one that you really have to dig around for and which quite often the first person you speak to will deny all knowledge of. This is the one that covers multiple short instances. It used to be 3 times with 6 hours off in a six month period but I believe it's now 4 times with 3 hours off in a year. That one is a fixed rate though and I don't think it goes up if you have a 5th power cut.

DICKENSMAN Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I live on Barry rd and the power went off at 9

> 45pm Friday night and returned at 4 am ish and off

> again at 9 30 ish Saturday morning and when I

> returned after 10 pm it had just started to warm

> the rads. I had to leave the place to go to a

> buddies who had the 'taken for granted' central

> heating roaring away which seemed nothing short of

> wonderful.

>

> So if anyone wants to know how to extend their

> week-end,

> just turn the power off to your abode,

> you will find it's the longest week-end of the

> year or your life.

>

> There was a silver lining to this tale of woe,

> I went and ate Sheperds pie at 'Homemade' which

> was delicious and almost made up for the fact of

> having no heating, lighting, or cooking

> facilities.

>

> It made me realise how vulnerable we would be, and

> what would happen if the Russians turned their

> substantial gas tap off, expect riots in the cold.

Or you could just put on another jumper. ;)