Royal Mail delivering?

hpsaucey

Hi there - not strictly East Dulwich but across the way off Peckham Rye East on Somerton Road we've had no post for a week and there are plenty of things due! Anyone else had this problem? Can't seem to find any info about the snow affecting deliveries on the Royal Mail or Post office websites.

Damn - not just us then! Someone told me - not sure if its true or not - that posties were being told that they could go out and deliver in the snow if they wanted to BUT that they would not received sick pay if they fell and hurt themselves.

Anyway - snow long gone and STILL no post. Wouldn't mind IF I could find something on the website to explain - think its a bit off that there's no easily found update there.

Highshore Road number I've got is: 0845 774 0740

Our postie turned up in Dog Kennel Hill on Sunday - said they'd been stopped from delivering in the snow but were now working longer hours to clear the backlog, especially given the anticipated Christmas mail.

Our lovely postie Steve has only just returned to work after months because he had bad back issues. This is not going to help him. Can't believe that the government would refuse them sick pay if they hurt themselves whilst delivering mail; I mean over and above (or below) what the Royal Mail allow.

Still no post here!

Expecting pay cheques, birthday cards for MrPR (last Thursday!) and work related information that can't be sent email!

Thanks for posting the phone number though hpsaucey! Will try tomorrow when they are open.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Our lovely postie Steve has only just returned to

> work after months because he had bad back issues.

> This is not going to help him. Can't believe that

> the government would refuse them sick pay if they

> hurt themselves whilst delivering mail; I mean

> over and above (or below) what the Royal Mail

> allow.

> Still no post here!

> Expecting pay cheques, birthday cards for MrPR

> (last Thursday!) and work related information that

> can't be sent email!

> Thanks for posting the phone number though

> hpsaucey! Will try tomorrow when they are open.

Ooh - wondered what had happened to the lovely Steve - assuming its the same Steve? Glad he's back but sorry he's been off for health isses. We thought he'd left as he was wondering about turning to window cleaning. Maybe an 'urban myth' about the sick pay, although the girl I heard it from sensible!

Fingers crossed for post for everyone tomorrow! What do they do in Scandinavia?

Not window cleaning: Teaching! He was thinking about becoming a teacher. Steve is a white guy with balding blonde hair about 30s and slim build average height. Same guy as the one you were thinking of? Anyway, he was working at the office for a few weeks prior to coming back to deliveries. And he was worried about it all starting again (his bad back)! But he is the best postie we ever had - never gets the wrong post! But no deliveries here yet today.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Not window cleaning: Teaching! He was thinking

> about becoming a teacher. Steve is a white guy

> with balding blonde hair about 30s and slim build

> average height. Same guy as the one you were

> thinking of? Anyway, he was working at the office

> for a few weeks prior to coming back to

> deliveries. And he was worried about it all

> starting again (his bad back)! But he is the best

> postie we ever had - never gets the wrong post!

> But no deliveries here yet today.

Same description so maybe I got it wrong with the vocation or he changed his mind. Deffo a great postie though.

Post received today - one letter dated 1st december.

Looking at various documents/advice on here and other places, Employers have a duty to protect staff from injury which also includes expecting them to undertake areas of their job in adverse weather conditions. For instance a roofing contractor could be sued if he expected his staff to climb onto a roof covered with snow and ice as there would be a high risk of injury to staff member.

I was supposed to walk to a meeting last Thursday where the three roads and pavements I would need to have had to use were very icy and I had witnessed whilst travelling to the office, by car, several people fall over ( including the very icy pavement outside Kings A & E). Since I have a disability which also affects my balance I explained to my employers thatI was reluctant to go to the meeting due to the icy conditions which would put my safety at risk, they were happy for me to stay in the office and conduct information collecting by phone. Had they insisted that I attended the meeting and I had slipped up and broken my arm, they knew that they could be sued.

I too live on the east side of the rye, and haven't had any post since last Tuesday - and there were 3 items sent last Wednesday that I'm expecting. I really hoped there might be some today... but no. Whenever I try the highshore number, it just rings and rings, and occasionally doesn't work at all.

Hhm - not on Somerton Road like us are you? There's another one in North London somewhere so we occasionally get the same problem.

Tony Rabbit Wrote:

> I've had all my courier deliveries but post office

> are days overdue trying to link me with Amazon.

> Maybe they sent it to N22. I keep getting their

> mail and have to forward it on.

Hi PeckhamRose,

The government has relaxed the numbers of hours HGV lorry drivers can work by one hour each day for four days above the current 9 hour daily limit. Apparently their was a risk of forecourts running out of fuel, shop stocks running low and grit not being moved around sufficiently. It's hoped this temporary hours derogation will enable some catch up with this.

As this is a very temporary measure for four days only it seems sensible to me.

What do you think PR, adding one hour a day for four days seems very measured?