lordship lane post office 20 mins

>The festive season is hotting up as it took 20 minutes to send a recorded envelope,

It took twenty minutes to queue for a certificate of posting at about 3pm on November 1.

When I walked past the PO half an hour ago, the queue went right out onto the street; six to eight places before you even got inside the place.

And they shut down the Melbourne Grove sub-office.

You have obviously never endured Peckham Rye Post Office.

I am sure that if the queue is too short they close a few windows to make it longer, and i have never seen all the windows open, lucky to have half, but usually 2 or 3.

I must come over to Lordship Lane more often.

I just can't understand why with todays technology the PO haven't come up with a machine that you pop your parcel on, select type of delivery and pay? Bonkers if you ask me. You can print off and pay for postage online but if it's recorded your still need to get them to stamp the proof of postage...largely pointless.

Bobbaz, they have such a machine at the post office near where I work and it has helped reduce queues significantly. The machines are used for posting items using standard delivery and for buying stamps. If you want to send something recorded or special delivery then you have to queue. They operate a ticketing system for the counter services, akin to the deli counter at Sainsbury's, but there are different 'queues' for special delivery and foreign exchange if I remember correctly. Perhaps it's a pilot system that they are considering for wider implementation...

Post office near me at Blackfriars has closed down completely and is now a Tesco - apart from a small room next door which consists only of machines which weight and dispense correct postage stickers.

When it works it's great but when you need to check anything, or if all the machines are out of order it's pointless

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Post office near me at Blackfriars has closed down

> completely and is now a Tesco - apart from a small

> room next door which consists only of machines

> which weight and dispense correct postage

> stickers.

>

> When it works it's great but when you need to

> check anything, or if all the machines are out of

> order it's pointless

+1 to that. I use the same facility on Tudor Street...it is a bit odd when you first try it, but fine for basic postage when everything is working.

ladyruskin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bobbaz, they have such a machine at the post

> office near where I work and it has helped reduce

> queues significantly. The machines are used for

> posting items using standard delivery and for

> buying stamps. If you want to send something

> recorded or special delivery then you have to

> queue. They operate a ticketing system for the

> counter services, akin to the deli counter at

> Sainsbury's, but there are different 'queues' for

> special delivery and foreign exchange if I

> remember correctly. Perhaps it's a pilot system

> that they are considering for wider

> implementation...

Yes yes they have these machines at London Bridge Post Office! Often my misssus has a struggle geting to the Lordship Lane to post an item, with 2 little kids in tow!

I take her letters and glide into London Bridge...Brilliant machines...easy to use..clear bright colourful instructions. You can post any small item or parcel.

But unlike the Sainsburys 'temperamental' Self Service machines....the Post Office self posting machines are very reliable!!!

I wish there was an Post Office equivalent of Station Manager Barry Jones.....,who would read this and prod someone to invest in technology!