The derelict school on Peckham Rye

I must have run past it a hundred times, yet it doesn't seem to have any name. It's a big school building, boarded up, with an area next to it covered in concrete lumps behind wire fencing. The roof of the school looks like it's fallen in, yet the rest of it seems in relatively good repair.

What's its story?

The school was operating about a year ago, and suddenly there was a fire that destroyed a lot of the building. I don't know if the council have plans to re-open it.

The concrete stumps on the side were to support a load of prefabs that the council put up for a year at great expense and then took them down again. That happened before the fire.

Do you know what it was called? There doesn't appear to be any kind of sign outside the school, and because the road it's on is called Peckham Rye itself, Google is somewhat evasive on finding useful results...

I think the site was formerly the lower site for Waverly Girls School. A couple of years ago an Academy (now in Bermondsey-can't remember its name) used the site temporarily whilst their school was being built. They had a load of prefabs up but you could only attend the school if you lived near Bermondsey where the school would end up and not if you were a local resident in ED.

There has been lots of debate in the last few years over Waverley Girls (now Harris) becoming mixed because of the paucity of provision for boys in the area. A campaign group called EDEN had been in talks with Southwark and Waverley Governing body about changing the school constitution and allowing boys in but having a separate site to teach them in (a la Askes).

This is where I am unclear bit I think that now deserted site had a fire or it is still unfit for purpose but where to put any boys ended in fiasco several moonths ago when it was decreed that another site (near Bredinghurst school Stuart Road) was declared unsafe for all health and safety wise-the boys school has been put on hold until 2009 whilst everyone blames everyone else and local boys miss out.

Lots of parents of boys in the area had already been told that the boys school would be up and running this Sept 2007 and then they were let down.........secondary transfer round here is stressful enough as it is. Letters went out about schools 2 days ago and it will doubtless come out in the local news this week how many disappointed parents (of boys especially)there will be in the Friern Road area .....

ANY SECONDARY TRANSFER STORIES OUT THERE?? Would make an interesting new thread......

If the derelict site belonged to Southwark education authority, surely it must have been insured? - so what is happening to the insurance money they should have received to put the damage right? Its the children that are suffering.

Sorry, just thought I'd bounce this one - what was the school originally called? For whom was it built? It has stones marked "boys" and "girls" so I asssume it has a long history as a school building. As someone who went to an old school like that one, I'm intrigued how such a treasured building could end up in such disregarded disrepair.

: P

It was initially called Friern school, a primary school for girls, opening in 1896.

It was later to become a secondary modern called Friern Girls High school until 1978 when it amalgamated with Honor OaK Grammar School (on Homestall Road) and became known as Waverley.

correction

It was initially called Friern school, a primary school for girls and boys, opening in 1896.

It was later to become a secondary modern called Friern Girls High school until 1978 when it amalgamated with Honor Oak Grammar School (on Homestall Road) and became known as Waverley.

Since writing the last post, I have discovered that the daughter of Ronald Searle who created the original St Trinian's cartoons (before the films), went to JAGS, and the uniform worn in his St Trinian's illustrations was modelled on that worn by the JAGS girls.

See HERE.

Any mention of St. Trinian's, brings to mind one of the illustrations in the book which shows a couple of girls twisting the arm of another. You can actually feel the pain. Also, the music - in the film - when George Cole's character appears. The Head Mistress. You never know, the remake may actually be good.

• 2 weeks later...

We heard through an estate agent aquaintance a developer had put in an offer to Southwark Council to convert the site into "luxery apartments" with a couple of shops on the site... Gilcrest Constrution I think they were called.

The council have dragged thier heels on the school as they really want the revenue the apartments will bring. Thats what we heard anyway. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...