Bike thefts in East Dulwich Area

m7post

has anyone that's had their bike stolen around here ever managed to recover it? _ if so how / where etc

Thanks.

----------

Mine was stolen to days ago -

You may have seen my bike over the years parked round Dulwich and East Dulwich - it's quite distinctive.

Some nasty shite stole it on Tuesday between 1pm and 11pm from Hillsborough Road SE22 (near Alleyns School). I'b be very grateful if everyone could keep an eye open for it.

It's a large / tall Silver 'Ridge Back' man's road bike - with a metal shopping basket - supermarket style - bolted on the back -

It's also covered in little round black stickers - each with a letter on - spelling out things like ' I LOVE MY BIKE - and various other silliness. It also has a oversized bell - which is a bit rusty.

It's not new - easily 10 years old - but much used and much needed - I've done thousands of miles across London on this bike and would dearly love it back. I have of course called the police ...... awaiting crime no. to be issued. . . .

I think they are all recent Ad's for bikes from ebay, gumtree etc. So it's a easy way to keep a look out for your own bike if it's been stolen.

@ Steveo - If you can prove it's yours call the police when you next see the little b.

I'm going to get an electronic data-tag for my bike which can't be removed and I already have it registered on immobilse.

My son was mugged for his bike, the cops found it being ridden by the thief.

It was etched with our postcode underneath so we got it back.

The thief went to juvenile court and received a community sentence.

When I went to collect it the police had 'millions' of bikes that

nobody reports/claims or can show proof of ownership. They eventually go to auction.

stevo.. have you reported it ? do you have the frame number,can you prove you own it ?

Get the police on to it. They were overjoyed when they returned ours.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,442852,448754#msg-448754

I've just bought a new bike, does anyone know how/the best way to protect it for free? I don't want to have to spend even more money on top of an already expensive bike!

Do the police/safer neighbourhoods not offer a session whereby you can go and they take all the details and mark your bike?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And spend money on a good quality D Lock (squire

> UBX or trelock Titan) and expect to pay at least

> ?60 for it. No other types of lock are unbreakable

> or uncuttable. And cheap D locks with circular

> keys are easily broken.

?60 locks aren't uncuttable either. You're basically buying time with a lock like that.

Amazing how many people leave a bike out overnight and wonder why it's not there the next day. You've basically given someone loads of time alone with your bike with no-one around.

You should look to spend 10% of the cost of your bike on locks. My bike was ?1500 and I've got ?150 worth of locks and I never leave it anywhere I can't see it.

Gina - learn HOW to lock it up once you have your good locks. You see so many people who just lock the top bar of the frame to a stand and wander off leaving their lights etc and quick release items still available.

Make sure that you have the D-lock through your frame/back wheel assembly and that there's as little room left in the D-lock as possible (it helps stop them being able to stick something through it to get leverage). These days they don't cut through the locks so much as use a jack to lever them apart.Make sure the lock is facing sideways or downs rather than the keyhole facing up so they can't pour something in (to make you leave the bike there for longer).

Amazon had the mini Fuhgeddabout it for under ?50 recently which is a v solid lock although handier if you know where you're locking it since it's a pretty small D. A cable lock that you can wrap round the other wheel, rack etc can also be useful (not much of a preventative but might make them move to an easier target)

Absolutely get a good lock and lock it up properly, top post Applespider. I also recommend getting two locks - if you can, get a d-lock and a chain lock, it will scupper thieves who only carry tools for one type of lock. In the UK a Sold Secure certified lock is normally sufficient for bicycle insurance, but I use a motorbike lock as well for mine because these have to pass tougher standards. Even the best bike locks out there are only ever approved (in the UK) to sustain a 5 minute attack and most of those can be breached in under a minute using either bolt croppers for a cable/chain or a bottle jack for d-lock. So remember that you are only really buying time, and don't leave it out overnight!

• 3 weeks later...

My bike was stolen too, some time over the past three weeks (i went home for Christmas). It is a very distinctive red and yellow 1980's Raleigh racing bike, in top knick, it has yellow wrapping on the handlebars. I just went to ride it this morning and found it missing, happy new year!

If anyone spots it, I would be very grateful if you let me know. Don't let the B******* grind you down!

might be nothing and i am not making any accusations.......

but today i was dropping business cards round the dawsons height, ladlands and bredinghurst and noticed what an amazing design of building it was by using the stairs.... what i also noticed was the balconys of one or 2 particular flats which are out the back of the flats but not visible by the public below have a good 6-10ok looking bikes crammed out there!

i did think to myself,,,, i wonder if my bikes there of they are all stolen!

but assumtion is a mother!! just found it interesting why someone would have so many mountain bikes, maybe theres 3 members of family with 2 bikes EACH! worth a mention i thought!

had mine stolen a few months back..... but only would have gotten ?80-?100 for it as i was actually trying to sell it so didnt bother reporting it!

I keep on thinking the time has come to get a bike, but what I'd like to know is where people keep their bikes overnight? Our house is pretty small so there's not really room to bring one inside. Are those bike box things any good?

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I keep on thinking the time has come to get a

> bike, but what I'd like to know is where people

> keep their bikes overnight? Our house is pretty

> small so there's not really room to bring one

> inside. Are those bike box things any good?

get a wall hanger if you can - if you leave a bike outside overnight no matter how securely, it's a question of when, not if it will get nicked.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/119/cya608/canyon-bicycle-wall-hanger.html

Always have two locks. If you have any garden or terrace then buy a ground or wall anchor to lock the bike to and cover it up from the elements. So people do this to the front of their house in front gardens. Crucial thing is two brilliant locks of different types. Bike theives rarely carry two different methods of breaking locks. If outside the fornt of a house don't have an expensive bike.

I've recommended all along, the Squire UBX and Trelock Titan D-locks as the best on the market. Have never had a bike stolen in 20 years and I use those locks.

The CTC wrote an article after testing various locks for ease of breaking/ picking and they wrote the following (which backs up my view)

The D-lock is still the most secure general design of lock; and there are some that Brian and his 'friends' find excessively time consuming to defeat. One of these, I'm pleased to report, is the British made Squire UBX also recommended in the recent Which? article, so it seems they can get something right! A few imported, but also European D-locks, by Trelok and Abus, also receive qualified approval.