What do residents really like about East Dulwich?

jfish

I'm looking for interesting content for my businesses website (I'm not looking to advertise or spam here!). It would be really great to know exactly what real residentslove about the area, and what people think makes it so special. I live fairly locally in Forest Hill but find myself frequenting Lordship Lane even more often than my own local high street.

Agreed, it certainly promotes a keen sense of community amongst residents. What I'm really wanting to hear about are perhaps less obvious things than the shops (not that they aren't great, as they are). But are there any other things about the area that residents really enjoy? Clubs, society's or anything a little different?

In the last month:-

- My next-door neighbour, who is already putting up with our annoying ongoing building works, pushed my mum's car when she was stuck in the snow

- I posted without much hope on Facebook that I needed a rug to help insulate my cold floor and half an hour later a neighbour walked one round to me.

- I had an accident and needed to get to A&E and a neighbour came round immediately to look after my young son for a few hours

I had a holiday flight cancelled, and neighbours came around with delicious and consoling baked goodies

Wow Moo's, you must never ever want to move! That's pretty, well, neighbourly of your neighbours! You don't hear as much of that sort of behaviour these days, so it's great to know that some people still have that spirit...

I think that the "I like biscuits" badges idea is just about the greatest thing I've ever heard of.

In fact just the other night I went into rather great detail to my Canadian friends about how much I love the people of ED. The mums are absolutely lovely, friendly and inclusive. But I fell in love with everyone; from the people at the local news agents to the regulars who walked past my house and stopped to say hello. It just isn't like that anywhere else.

I definitely left part of myself there when I left:(

Edited to add: Just writing that made my eyes well up. See what I mean?

I moved to London in an attempt to shake up my dull single life living out in suburban Hampshire. I started out living in Southfields in SW London which was ok, but hard to meet people.

When looking around for other places to live, I fell in love with East Dulwich based on the look of Lordship Lane, bustling and full of independant shops. I rented somewhere the first day I came here and then went home and read up on the area and found the forum.

I went to my first forum drinks the day after I moved in and through going to drinks sessions I've made friends locally.

As a result of having friends locally I was out in a local pub for New Year last year rather than off staying with old friends out of town, and met my the guy I have been with for the last year.

So, I've gone from being single and bored outside of London to busy and happy in love since moving here. Maybe it could have happened anywhere.... but am not convinced, which is why I am now trying to buy a house here and intending to stay for a long while.

I love:

1. Helping my elderly neighbours, who in return tolerate my noisy dog, kids and chickens without a moment's complaint.

2. Living on a street where people know each other, have for years, say good morning, were VERY welcoming when I moved in, take in parcels and generally look out for each other, and always have a smile and a chat. Lovely.

3. This forum, where I've found friends, support during difficult times, and a lovely lovely boyfriend as well as loyal customers and very helpful feedback for my local business.

4. Popchoir - Dulwich is the original choir and after a year we are now performing at local events, fairs, fund raising events, having a real laugh and making good friends too.

5. Finding some brilliant quality local businesses, such as the fantastic Gary Cooper, my plumber, Karen from Earthworks, the excellent blokes at Dulwich DIY, Garysvan, and lots of others. Reliable, well priced and generally lovely to get to know.

Now if ONLY I could afford to buy a house here!

Simonet Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Elfy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've moved away but reading this has made me

> want

> > to move back! I miss East Dulwich (sob!)

>

> Where have you moved too and how long have you

> been away ?

I've moved to the 'Burbs. I've got a little one and it's easier being closer to my family. It's taking some getting used to even though I grew up round here so I do know the area.

Last night I had an emergency as my breast pump broke (currently expressing for a newborn who can't feed directly due to a tongue tie)

Several mums from the family room offered loan machines and I was able to pick one up at about 11.30pm and express enough to get us through the night!

Mind you, the lovely EDF mums live further afield than just Se22... two initial offers of help were from nUNHEAD AND Brockley.

Walking down North Cross Road and Lordship Lane on a Saturday, and usually bumping into at least half a dozen people I know.

Fantastic friendly and helpful neighbours.

Real sense of community - the Crystal Palace Road street party last summer springs to mind.

Great choice of places to hang out, eat and drink.

Convenient shops within walking distance so I can use my shopping trolley.

Friendly helpful postman (meant to start a friendly helpful postie thread before Christmas and forgot, sorry Ulverscroft Road postie).

Local live music.

Woods and parks within walking distance.

Trees,parks,growing band of new shops, North cross road getting akin to Greenwich market,except for its lack

of antigue and second hand shops, Hopefully it could be a replica of portabello or Camden markets.

More stalls and public toilet needed though.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> on a summers day it soemtimes feels like a holiday

> resort than a part of london.

>

> I like ED as much as anyone, but come on.

I'd like to know where 'Shadow' goes on holiday (mainly so I know which places to avoid).