ED Good Deed Feed

RicB

I've wanted to do this post a while back but haven't and now with the new year and the mostly bad news we hear all the time, I think its a good time to kick it off. Metro do something similar, but I thought we could have one as well as the people of ED show community spirit.

I would like anyone who has been helped by a complete stranger in some way (even a small way) to post that good deed here. It's just a way of showing that not all humans are bad and that there is still some good in society as opposed to this whole "me me me" culture.

So I will start, about a month or so ago, I was on a bus to the ED train station, I had already missed my early train which I normally take, so I had to catch a later one which meant I would get to work a bit late. Anyway, one of those diggers that was digging up the lordship lane decided he would drive down lordship lane in front of my bus. The bus was so held up that he overtook the digger when he got a chance, thats how slow the digger was going.

Anyway, I got off the bus and started sprinting for the platform, when I was going up I already saw people walking down past me and I saw the train on the platform and I was nowhere near, but i decided to keep going, until I heard that dreaded BEEP BEEP BEEP sound knowing that my fate was sealed.

As I reached the platform and was preparing to wave goodbye to the train, I saw a young lady who had gotten off, holding the train doors open for me. I jumped on and thanked her twice before the doors closed and off I went. I was so touched by this random act of kindness, that I vowed to actively help people in need when I came across it. So if you're reading this kind lady, thanks again!

Now it so happened that at London Bridge, the guy near me got up and left his gloves on the seat, so I asked him if they were his and he said yes and thanked me. Nothing major, but if that girl hadnt held the doors open, I would have missed the train, been mega late to work and some guy would be without his gloves.

With all the negative stories about burglaries, muggings etc, lets balance it out with some good stories. Happy new year to all.

steveo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Instead, you and her made everyone else late. HNY

By about 10 seconds??? Yes I'm sure EVERYONE was made late. I'm sorry if that was the case, but Steveo I think you missed the point of the post.

Yeah! Finally a thread that doesn't contain moaning about not being allowed plastic bags or moaning about being served the wrong kind of Barcardi. I am getting tired of the unfunny, miserable bah-humbugery that seems to prevail on here at the moment.

One of the biggest good deeds I can think of is by one particular forumite who has given up her time to coach some of us feckless ladies into football and fitness. I joined not knowing what to expect and even now I am still in admiration for how positive the whole experience has been and how much it has touched so many people on the EDF.

steveo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Instead, you and her made everyone else late. HNY

Yeah, and potentially damaging the train, causing it to be taken out of service for a costly repair, leading to less rolling stock on the line, further delays AND a larger than usual fare increase. SMH

Well, just before Christmas I was at North Dulwich Station,I'd just missed my train and decided to sit down for a minute. On the bench beside me I found a plastic bag full of brand new music CD's and PC games. I took them back up to the ticket office which had the blind down. I knocked on the window until they opened up the window and handed over the bag.

The lady looked at me as if I was mad when I handed over the bag of CD's and told her they had been left behind. I really hope the owner came back to claim them. I know I felt better handing them over than just leaving them where I found them.

It didn't lead to me having a better day or anything but it's nice to try and do a good turn.

Thats the spirit VeryBerryCherry! Thanks also to Ratty for your post about the staff at the Actress and well done to KalamityKate for being an honest and decent person. If more people did good things for their fellow humans, the world would be a better place and people would moan less.

Doing something good like that gives you a personal satisfaction and you should always imagine if you helped someone in an unfortunate situation, that someone would do that for you if you were in the unfortunate situation. Its as simple as that.

Thanks to the ED person who called the Police when my car was hit whilst parked by a driver in ED over xmas who just drove off, given he has now saved me est. ?15,000 in damage repair bill!

-theres a good deed...indeed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not an ED incident but a fine example of humanity all the same and one i will NEVER forget. a couple of years ago i stupendously stupidly left my carry-on bag sitting on a bench in LAX airport - containing 3 passports and 3 greencards and 3 credit cards (my friends quite mistakenly believing i was the most the sensible and so put me in charge of everything) - about 3 grand in CASH - more in travelers cheques, medicine, jewellery etc... - the works.

i only discovered what i'd done about two hours later when we hit our destination. never felt so sick in my life. back to the airport. and someone had handed it in! all intact. and when i asked for contact details to thank the person they had signed themselves (or perhaps the airport had) 'Unknown Citizen.'

i tell ya - that unknown citizen still gets a glass raised every now and again. and i always pay it forward.

(though i've never had the chance to do it on such a grand scale - guess there's not that many twats like me out there)...

good thread

Years ago, a friend of mine handed in a wallet with US dollars etc and left her name, thinking nothing of it. Few weeks later she received a call from said gentleman, offering her a slap up tea at the Dorchester as a thank you. She declined in the end, but the part I remember is it was just after Sept 11, and his words were 'you've been a glimmer of light in a dark dark week'. Brought a tear to my eye, still does!

Someone in my road found my purse and made the effort to ring my workplace using my ID and I phoned him and took a bottle of wine round as a thank you. It takes so little time to make someone's day!

Someone living opposite me made huge efforts to get my purse back to me a few years back - contacting various membership places I had cards of in my purse. There was about ?80 in cash in there, untouched. She hadn't even looked through it. I bought her a bottle of wine and a money tree plant by way of thanks. It didn't really seem enough. But I don't think she wanted anything. So absolute applause and massive thanks still to you, Adys Road Lady. It saved me money and enormous hassle in getting new membership cards for all those blooming libraries.

In the earky hours of 18 December I rolled out of a taxi the worse for wear and dropped my wallet. The first I knew about it was later that morning when I received a call on my mobile saying it had been found. Two very kind and lovely women had found it and taken the trouble to go through all my rubbish/receipts/money etc and found my name, address and telephone number on my William Rose turkey deposit slip! A few moments later they delivered my wallet to me fully intact, I was too hungover/befuddled to say anything much but I am incredibly grateful. It would have been a total disaster to have had to cancel all my cards a week before Christmas! If it was you then a massive THANK YOU. I will do my best to pay it forward.

About 4 months ago, I saw a woman walking alone by the side of Peckham Rye park about 2am. A car was crawling alongside of her and it was obvious she was bothered by it and that the male driver was trying to persuade her to get in. I overtook the car and pulled up in front of him. I got out to ask her if she was OK and she said that she wasn?t. I told her to get in and that I would drop her home. As I?m female she obliged. The woman had been on a night out and was walking to her home in ED when the guy was pestering her to let him give her a lift. She was very thankful and I was just glad she made it home safely. What disturbs me is that there were other cars on the road who would have spotted what this guys was doing but no one stopped. I understand that people have to think about their own safety but how would they have felt if they learned the next day that the woman had been attacked?

A massive thanks to everyone who helps me with my pram up and down stairs - it is really nice of you. A general thank you to everyone who smiles at the children when they are grumpy on the bus, catches the little devils when they run away and bring them back. I try to do it all myself but sometimes it is a bit beyond me. Thanks for your tolerance and support from one frazzled mum and her grumpy son.

My sister and I was on the 185 bus on Boxing Day, as the bus stopped at ED Station a frail old lady got off the bus and left her trolley and handbag. The bus driver drove on and we rang the bell to ask her to stop but she did not my sister came from the back of the bus and demand the driver to stop and she then explain to her what has happen.

My dear sister ran down the road with the trolley and handbag and gave to the old lady my sister said she was in tears has she could not catch up with the bus I insisted the bus driver waited until my sister got back on the bus the I was so proud of my sister as she is a shy sort of person.