family (rackow)

ward ra

i am looking for a family that used to live here,family name of rackow (or similar)he was a doctor had several children, sadley 1 daughter lost her life on the marchioness 1991,my name is richard ward my dad (derek ward)was a cousin of the family maybe someone can help me in this matter many thanks ps their names were franck and jean i believe

Now Deceased.

Francis Isidore Rackow

After qualification Frank served as a captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps and trained in London. He was a general physician with wide interests. His retirement was active and fulfilling, though marred by the loss of a daughter in the Marchioness disaster, when a riverboat sank in the Thames. He pursued his strong interests in wine, local history, music, church architecture, and gardening. He leaves a wife, Jean, and four children.

Consultant physician St Helier Hospital, Sutton, and St Anthony?s Hospital, Cheam, 1959-82 (b 1922; q King?s College Hospital 1959; MD (distinction), FRCP London, FRCP Canada; late captain RAMC), died from non-Hodgkin?s lymphoma on 3 October 2003.

Frank, born of Russian immigrant parents, was the younger brother of the late A M Rackow, consultant radiologist, King?s College Hospital. After qualification he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps and trained at King?s College, Hammersmith, and St Andrew?s Bow hospitals. He was a truly general physician with wide interests. During most of his career and early retirement years he lived in Dulwich and was proud to have been elected a member of the Dulwich Club, founded in the 18th century. His retirement was an active and fulfilling period of his life though marred by the sad loss of a daughter, Rachel, in the Marchioness disaster. He pursued his strong interests in wine, local history, music, church architecture, and gardening. He is survived by his wife, Jean, three daughters, one of whom is medically qualified and practising in France as a psychiatrist; and a son. [Malcolm Hodkinson]

Picture below

Hi,

Not sure if any help to you but there is a plaque on a tree in Red Post Hill, Se24, opposite North Dulwich train station dedicated to a daughter that died in the Marchioness disaster, i am sure it's the same name as who you are looking for, i am walking past there tomorrow and i will check for you.

good morning helen,thank you very much for getting back to me,i last saw the family in about 1977 i was in the navy and used to stay with them for the weekend and often went to football the name patrick sounds right to me,do you know him or where he lives would be good to get in touch after so many years my name is richard ward his mum jean was my dads cousin i live in suffolk have attached a pic of me and i am on facebook for my sins,if you know patrick could you possible pass this information on to him in any way many thanks for all your help

richard

good morning, thank you very much for the information on this family all sounds perfect as i remember them,do you possible have anyway of getting in contact with any of the family members? my name is richard ward my dad derek ward was jeans cousin i last saw them all in 1977 when i was in the navy and used to visit them weekends and go to watch football (chelsea)i believe their sons name was patrick and still live locally.many thanks for your help and information in this matter

richard

Hi just to let you know the plaque in Red Post Hill [outside number 1-9] is dedicated to the memory of Rachel Rackow and a friend, maybe that is where they used to live, could be worth asking around there for more information on the family.

Hi, I knew the Rackows. I went to junior school with Chloe and her knew her older sister Francis (Franny) very well too. Unfortunately Francis died of cancer a few years ago. Rachel was also a good friend of mine. The plaque was for her and her fiancee Julian who also very sadly died in the Marchioness disaster of 1989 (not '91) with Rachel. Other than that I can't really offer you anymore information. There is another older sister whose name slips my mind for the moment. I believe their mother is still alive but I can't be sure of that.

Rachel and Julian were good friends and will always be missed by friends and family.

They had a joint funeral in the chapel in Dulwich village which had to be one of the saddest experienced I and many others had to endure.

They were a lovely couple.