New in ED :)

Hey all,

I have just moved into East Dulwich from out of town and want to make it home!

It's still very early days so I have a lot to learn about what the area has to offer.

That's how you guys/girls can help!

First off simple stuff like who has the best fresh veg on Lordship lane? local swimming pool? Is there any nice gallery's?

Next question, any gardening/horticulture jobs in the area? Clues....

So give me some tips and help me get the best out of the place :)

Many thanks!!

Chris

Best veg - Morrisons Peckham

Horticultural jobs - Peckham Rye and Goose Green could do with a decent gardener, enquire at the council.

Swimming pool - the one here is rubbish, you're better off going to Ladywell Baths near Lewisham!

Art gallery - you're onto a winner with this one, England's oldest purpose built picture gallery is in Dulwich Village (not really ED but close)

A few tips, dont wander too far into Peckham after dark, crime hotspot. Avoid arrogant yummy mummy's bombing it down Lordship Lane arrogantly forcing everyone to walk in the road. Other than that you should be fine (unless you were hoping for a Waitrose or M&S simply food anytime soon!)

Good luck! :))

Louisa.

Best veg - Rye Lane markets are great for cheap stuff, a lot of the seasonal stuff comes in from farms around London's fringe; Peckham Farmers' Market every Sunday morning outside Peckham Library; Pretty Traditional on North Cross Road if your purse/wallet is feeling a bit heavy!

Other really nice food: bread, pies etc. from Blackbird Bakery (Grove Lane), wine from Green & blues, meat/fish from the North Cross Road market every Saturday.

Hidden treasures for a Sunday stroll - the wildlife garden on Marsden Road; the lovely Choumert Square; Nunhead Cemetery and Dulwich/Sydenham Woods.

I thought the comment on Pretty Traditional was interesting. Not saying it isn't expensive but I always come out of there with two massive bags of veg and change from a tenner. It seems really cheap. But may just be out of touch. Perhaps you can get 3 massive bags of veg in Peckham...

If wallet is too heavy, head to The Cheese Block. A visit to the cash point is usually required after any trips to Cheese Block (great cheese though, no complaints there...)

tomchance Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Best veg - Rye Lane markets are great for cheap

> stuff, a lot of the seasonal stuff comes in from

> farms around London's fringe; Peckham Farmers'

> Market every Sunday morning outside Peckham

> Library; Pretty Traditional on North Cross Road if

> your purse/wallet is feeling a bit heavy!

>

>