I was mugged on East Dulwich Grove -8:35pm 11.01.11

Jess-ED

I was walking home from East Dulwich station at around 8:35pm on 11.01.11 - I was on the phone at the time when a youth came up behind me and snatched my Iphone4 & ran off. I chased him and screamed my head off(!) It happened literally outside Dulwch Community hospital - East Dulwich Grove (same side of the road) & the police think he followed me from the station. I chased him but he disappeared up Glengarry Road - near Dolphin dry cleaners.

He was a petite white male, about 5'8 with a light hooded jumper and a black jecket on top - light coloured bottoms. Please be vigilent and its happening increasingly in the area.

Jess-ED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you - I was reassured to find so many

> helpful people in the area - 3 people offered me a

> cup of tea and another gentleman drove around in

> his car to look for him!

It makes such a huge difference doesn't it? I was mugged in Ilford many years ago (youth sliced through the thick leather strap of my bag with a knife and ran off with it). A guy stopped his car, leapt out and gave chase (he was lucky he didn't have his car stolen!). Restored my faith in human nature.

Completely agree - I have always felt relatively safe in the area when travelling back very late. Whilst scaremongering is defintely not my intention - I think its important that people are aware that this is happening in our area and to vigilent when walking alone in the evenings.

I would also say that it is not a particularly good idea to walk in the dark while talking on an Iphone 4. Because you are talking you are not particularly alert to what is going on around you and it is a desirable bit of equipment. I am not in any way blaming the victim, and any mugging is a horrible thing to happen. However we do need to be as conscious of our own safety as possible.

Apparently street muggings rose by 8% last year but phone muggings by 22%. Smartphones are clearly attractive to these b******s.

I've been mugged for my phone twice on the last few years (neither time locally), so if I have to use my phone when walking now, I only do it in well lit areas, where other people are around and keeping an eye out for who might be near. It's worth pointing out though that both times I was mugged was while walking and texting (wexting?)

It is worth being careful at the moment. A woman got mugged on the corner of Melbourne Grove/Lytcott 2/3 nights ago, (the night the helicoper was circling) walking back from the train station. A couple of guys did chase him but he got away, despite the help of the helicopter search. The description I have is that it was a young black guy, so a different mugger to the one in the original post.

If you're walking when it's dark which I know is early these days, or when it's late I'd definitely not use my phone, especially if it was a desirable/expensive one. As it is my phone cost me ?3.95 from Carphone Warehouse so I don't think anyone would want to steal it.

You have to keep your wits about you when walking.

murphy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is worth being careful at the moment. A woman

> got mugged on the corner of Melbourne

> Grove/Lytcott 2/3 nights ago, (the night the

> helicoper was circling) walking back from the

> train station. A couple of guys did chase him but

> he got away, despite the help of the helicopter

> search. The description I have is that it was a

> young black guy, so a different mugger to the one

> in the original post.

Is that why the helicopter was out? We heard some suspicious noises out back but it's someone else's garden so couldn't really check. If it was in reponse to a serious crime I would let police know-they may have dumped a weapon?

"that told you showboat!"

Did it really? Ok then. If you say so...

But if you're going to throw comments like that around maybe it's best to mention straight out that the info comes from the police, as otherwise you sound like one of those fools who thinks a broken wondow in ED means the end of all we know and love. Sean makes a good point.

Personally I've lived round here all my life (except for a 5 year hiatus in Catford!) and haven't noticed any major problems, but the cops know better than I.

Showboat I think you need to look "perspective" and "context" up in the dictionary.

People that read updates on forums such as these are not naive enough to think that the next time they go out they will be mugged so "throwing around comments like that" is hardly accurate. I don't think it?s fair to call people "fools" either...we all like ED - but reality check - we live in London and these things happen, my intention was merely to make people more aware to avoid another misfortunate episode.

Jess - to be fair to showboat several people have cited exactly that reason as proof of an alarming rise in crime in the area on other threads - so he/she isn't lacking perspective. Have a look at most of the crime related threads and you will see evidence of that

You've posted some good stuff on here tho, been through a nasty experience and I think everyone is in broad agreement so it would be a shame if this descended to petty argument (that's not aimed at you either! just a general comment)

I'd be slighlty cautious about what a Police officer tells you without knowing their provinence.

If they're a member of the local Safer Nieghbourhood Team then they will know if this type of crime is on the rise at that location.

If it is from a member of the rapid response cars then they're probably generalising for the whole borough.