Disappearing packages

Since the end of last year I've had 4 parcels, posted from different location in the UK that haven't been delivered. Does anyone know who to write to/contact to take this up with? It seems it's a particular problem with my local post so I'm interested to follow this up at a local level rather than further afield.

Last week I went for a walk and came back to find 2 packages placed on top of our post box.

It's not as if it's out of view or a quiet street, anyone could of taken them.

In the past we've had a few things expected that we've never received..

I'm not trying to say that your post has definitely been stolen but evidently some of the post men around here are idiots and so it could be a possibility.

At Christmas our postman seemed to think that the paper recycling box was a great place to 'hide' parcels when we weren't in to receive them. Up to a point that's true. Not so great if you go away on holiday and the recycling collectors leave the box at the end of the path with the discarded 'non-recycling item' on show for everyone to see. Fortunately one of my neighbours noticed and took the package for us.

The problem with Royal Mail is that they are only allowed to deliver to the address on the package; all other delivery companies simply hand the package to my next door neighbour who is always at home.

There is definitely something going wrong with royal mail parcel delieveries. I waited weeks for 2 items ordered from Amazon that were meant to be delivered via royal mail the next day. Eventually I demanded a refund for the items so I could re-order them elsewhere. The re-ordered items arrived via courier as scheduled. Funnily enough, one of the original items eventually turned up, the other has disappeared, which is strange because they were part of the same order!!

Have just entered the Kafkaesque nightmare that is the Royalmail 'Helpline'. I googled it & got a webpage with a telephone number as the only contact option. The call cost ?1.38 but there wasn't anything else to do. I called it and a very brusque automated message told me they no longer use this number and gave me another to call. I called it (no indication of cost but it was an 0845 number) only to hear yet another - cheerier - automated massage welcoming me to 'The Royalmail magazine and business services' & asking me to press a number to indicate which magazine I wanted!! Aaarrgh. They did give an email address, so I've sent a howler. We'll see if it elicits any response at all.

Re: the doormat thing, with East Dulwich post I've come to the conclusion that anything is possible.

i have had the same problem, and they had me fill out a form for the missing parcels

once i sent it in, it took them a month to respond, then a month to investigate, then i finally got a letter saying they could not be responsible for my missing parcels as they were gift cards and not covered by their policy!!

they system they have in place is highly frustrating, because you have to know the senders information as well, and if you are expecting more than one parcel its hard to know what has gone missing!

I posted a link on another thread a while ago for the Royal Mail online complaints form.

I'm not sure how to track it down, and I've just tried to find it on their website (which I think is rubbish) and can't, but there deffo is one.

They've always replied to my complaints, but I've actually had more problems with other couriers leaving items in ridiculous places like my wheelie bin, or out in the rain.

There is a difference between requesting compensation for missing items (in which case maybe gift cards don't count because how could they know you were telling the truth about the value?) and just letting them know of missing items so that they can trace any apparent patterns.

Royal Mail certainly used to have a dedicated Investigation Department, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't any more.