back on the move: window cleaning scam!!!

paps

Tried to continue from the previous thread on this but it didn't allow me to.

Just to make you aware that the window cleaning scam is on the move again - around the barry road/henslowe road area - we have just had "Tony" knocking at our door offering to clean our windows tomorrow!!!

Couldn't find the previous thread...

What is the scam? A man (didn't catch his name) just called round to my house offering window cleaning tomorrow? Said it would be ?10 for front of the house. Haven't given him any money.

Ah! found previous thread looks like I had a lucky escape, sounds like the very same man, who says they will be in the area at 1pm tomorrow etc. Even gave some schpeel about how somone else on the street is paid up to new year!

Well the scam guy is a very jolly tubby white guy in his 40s that takes money upfront and then laughs all the way to the pub. He is very good at the chat and knows how to give a real 'diamond geezer' impression....beware! He blags you with the idea he has a team working down the street and is very self assured.

I assume he used to clean windows and has found it easier simply to take the cash and save on the actual cleaning part of the deal. Luckily I was too penny pinching to give out the cash but there is one born everyday.

Yes this matches his descrption - my other half spoke to him and he said excatly that: his team would come around tomorrow.

He was a bit of a "geezer", short guy, mid forties, bit tubby, with a black leather bomber jacket.

These guys have got one over on many people in the area - be aware they don't dip into that Christmas fund!!!!

Someone recommended Tony to someone asking for a reliable window cleaner on the "wanted/recommended" board of this forum. Would it have been Tony himself?

I got his number off that discussion - the first time I called him he called back 2 weeks later, then he said he'd be in the area later that week and would call back about the exact time but never did - and then he called again two months later, asking if I still required cleaning and I said no (I don't like working with people I can't communicate with).

Until now I just thought this guy wasn't reliable in terms of showing up but I now understand the whole thing might be a scam?

>>Someone recommended Tony to someone asking for a reliable window cleaner on the "wanted/recommended" board of this forum. Would it have been Tony himself<<

No. Tony Dowsett is neither a scam merchant nor unreliable - certainly not the local villain conning the vulnerbale...

• 1 month later...
We had "Steve" knock on our door in Matham Grove on Sunday morning - told me he cleaned the windows of most of the houses in the street already and that he wanted ?12 for the first clean then ?6 per month thereafter. Then he said that most people pay up front which immediately made me suspicious. I told him to come and see me when he was ready to actually clean the windows and as soon as he realised he wasn't getting any money out of me up front he left. I think that Steve and Tony could be one and the same - he's unlikely to use his real name afterall! Checked with my neighbours afterwards and they had never heard of him.

I suggest that when he comes... and he will.. to say oh I'll get some money and then get your phone and nab a photo of the little bleeder.

Why dont we build a picture as you say and others can add.

Here's my starter:

Average height with dark brown hair and a bit podgy.

No glasses or grey hair.

Age about 40.

Sayings..."my team is down the street" "Your windows really need a clean" "money up front"

Has no gear on him..no ladder or bucket.

Character...talkative and upbeat cheeky and disarming

• 4 weeks later...
BTW - "my very good aquaintance I have overt access to over ?100 Million sterling through the estimable East Dulwich Development Agency for which my fraternal bloodline is in employment with, I as a matter of some vigourous urgency need to access these funds, send me your bank details...etc etc", seriously,are there that many innocent out of towners in our midst to part with cash at the door for nowt?