getting to work

I live 4.5 miles from my office and for several reasons it's taking longer and longer to get there by public transport. Today took me 1 hour 20 minutes which is starting to make me think of the alternatives.

Does anyone actually walk to the city? How long does it take you?

+1 Ladymuck

My studio's 8miles from ED (Bethnal Green), it takes me 30mins to cycle that journey.

However bad the weather is...

It's always better by bike than getting the bus or the train.

For so many reasons more than simply being quicker.

Fun, cost, time, health, germ free bla bla bla

Bike is the answer. I used to cycle from Marmora to Tavistock Sq - average was about 35 / 40 minutes each way. You get the added bonus of increased fitness and reduced travel costs - except for occasional stolen bike, factor in a loss about every three years - no matter how good your locks are.

Last time the security staff presented me with a great 9 second video of my bik being stolen!

benjaminty

I'm almost exactly same distance - I work at Blackfriars and I combine bus and walking for a guaranteed (near as dammit) 40 minute journey

Roadworks in peckham and denmark hill are playing a bit with this lately but they will go away

Leaving before a certain time also makes a huge difference

I bus it from goose green to E&C and walk the rest of the way so it's about 20 mins on each leg. If weather is bad or I'm carrying heavy stuff I'll get a bus at E&C to blackfriars which takes 10-15 mins

I have walked the whole way many a time and it takes about 60 mins from East Dulwich Grove (snow will obviously make things slower)

Funny how drivers say "take a car it's cheaper" when you talk about public transport but complain about "a war on motorists " the rest of the time

It really depends on exactly where you live and where you've got to get to work. I live in a road off East Dulwich Road and when I worked near Moorgate it too about 50-60 minutes, going via London Bridge, now I'm near City Thameslink it's about 40 minutes (or even less on a good day). If the trains/buses are bad, it can take 90 minutes of course.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Funny how drivers say "take a car it's cheaper"

> when you talk about public transport but complain

> about "a war on motorists " the rest of the time

That is truly bizarre.

Congestion charge + parking + insurance + vehicle excise + petrol

Might be that they consider a black cab as

'public transport' hence car might only just be cheaper?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> pearson - I didn't just say that for no reason -

> silverfox posted earlier

>

> "Jump in your car - far cheaper"

I know, I was expanding :)

You don't have to cycle so hard you get a sweat up. Also no rules of the road that demand top to toe lycra.

I cycle in 'smart casual' and rarely work up a sweat and when in danger of this unzip jacket. This all accepts summer afternoons when I'm on the way home and going over the hill.

Cycling is surely the answer?

Just cruise along - you wont need a shower when you get in - not 4.5 miles.

If you work EC then go up through Bellenden Rd, if you work WC then avoid Dog Kennel hill by going up the Greendale Route, its an easier climb IMO.

I do it every day and love it.

many workplaces provide showers and changing rooms - I used to enjoy rolling out of bed, into cycling kit (old shorts, T shirt and sweater - no lycra) and then showering at work at 8.15, clambering into suit & tie, tucking into a breakfast and starting the day with a healthy feeling of virtue.

Cycling is definitely the answer - I cycle slow enough so I sweat less than I would walking and it takes about 20-25 min to Tower Bridge. Route 22 from the top of Bellenden Rd is great - lots of other cyclists on it - best to go down by Peckham Library rather than along Trafalgar Ave and Summer Rd- that way you are in park all the way to Burgess Park.

I feel so healthy and full of beans since I started. Get home feeling great rather than grotty and tired.

I've cycled Mundania-Great Portland St tube area for 2 years and it's 40 mins if I'm lazy, 35 with a bit of effort and 30 if I'm mad for it. 25 to Baker St is madness, I tell you, madness!

But it saves me at least ?700 a year, including bike maintenance, keeps me way fitter than I'd otherwise be and gives me the totally unbeatable freedom of a bike in town at lunchtime/after work. I shower at work each morning.

If forced onto pub(l)ic t by having to wear a suit I like the East London line and then whichever Tube or a cycle/walk/bus to P Rye and then Thameslink. Even had a table and four seats to myself on the Thameslink back the other day! But in general cycling is the way forward for me, hopefully for many years to come.