Where to put a bike if you live on the Dog Kennel Hill estate?

I'm moving to Quorn Road, on the Dog Kennel Hill estate (which for some reason, I've found so far people are snobby about. My flat is lovely! The block I live in is clean and lovely too) and I have no idea where to put my bike. I'm 4ft 11" so my dragging it up and down the steps every day would be dangerous as it would be hilarious. I know if I drag it up I'll end up just leaving it there to collect dust.

Could I lock it outside the station, knowing it'll probably get nicked and risking it? Or are there any bike storage facilities around that area?

Thanks for any help!

I think there is a bike storage thingy at the station! There are certainly some box things under the rail bridge. Sadly I think if it is locked up in an open area it will get snatched!

Dunnoy why people are snobby about Quorn Road either! Welcome to the hood!

I expect the bike boxes are all taken up, but it could be worth chasing up with SMBJones or James Barber.

Unfortunately the bike probably won't last the night if you leave it locked up outside. Maybe it's worth considering a fold-up bike?

Anyway, welcome to the area... I'm sure you'll like it. People are sometimes snobby about estates, but I think this one is generally OK. Don't let the abundance of bull-terriers put you off.

Hello Brain Opera!

Welcome to the lovely East Dulwich estate - it IS lovely, but don't lock your bike to the railings on the ground floor and expect to find it there in the morning. I'm one of a small group of people living here who have just formed the 'Bike and Buggy Users Group' - we're lobbying for secure storage to be included in the designs for the landscaping of the estate (the last stage of the regeneration and due to begin this summer, funds allowing). We're planning to fundraise to buy sheds (eg via Cleaner, Greener, Safer fund as DJKillaQueen suggests - this has been successful on nearby estates). We're meeting on Saturday 5th to look at suitable spots for lockers and plan next steps - do PM me for details!

Dog Kennel Hill estate is fine, although I prefer Champion Hill estate ('cos its my 'hood). Mention estate outside the context of a country pile and many people turn their noses up...

Still, don't lock your bike up outside, it will get nicked. Mine lives in my flat with me but I'm on the first floor.

Try tenant's meetings to bring it up and see if other people would back any funding application for sheds.

Thank you, everyone! For now I'm bidding on fold up bikes on eBay...

ellabrunswick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Brain Opera!

>

> Welcome to the lovely East Dulwich estate - it IS

> lovely, but don't lock your bike to the railings

> on the ground floor and expect to find it there in

> the morning. I'm one of a small group of people

> living here who have just formed the 'Bike and

> Buggy Users Group' - we're lobbying for secure

> storage to be included in the designs for the

> landscaping of the estate (the last stage of the

> regeneration and due to begin this summer, funds

> allowing). We're planning to fundraise to buy

> sheds (eg via Cleaner, Greener, Safer fund as

> DJKillaQueen suggests - this has been successful

> on nearby estates). We're meeting on Saturday 5th

> to look at suitable spots for lockers and plan

> next steps - do PM me for details!

I won't be able to come along this time but I'll PM you, let me know when the next one is!

I can't find any info about the landscaping, could you tell me more?

Thanks, Nunhead Man - yes, Southwark Cyclists are great for advice and shared experience on this (as well as for going out to enjoy cycling in London on the social rides!)

Brain Opera - Draft plans have been put through doors of flats on the estate with some terrific ideas for better playgrounds, wild-flower meadow planting instead of mown grass and strimmed shrubbery, fenced dog exercising areas, some tree planting etc. You should be able to see a plan if you ask at the temporary Albrighton Centre (Portacabin at the top of the estate). However, the budget for 'environmental improvements' includes essential repairs to Victorian drainage, and dilapidated walls and steps, as well as landcaping, so there's a lot of pressure on it.