ED rememberence sunday?

The 11 o?clock silence on Rememberance Sunday is observed at the Calvary in the garden at St John?s Church, Goose Green following the 10am Mass (shortened service). Those from East Dulwich who fell in the World Wars are remembered and their names are read out and there are prayers and a hymn. The congregation come out of church and gather at the Calvary garden (the large crucifix by the Ady?s road gates) at about 10.50am. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Churchwarden Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I was once driving down a fairly busy road at the time of 'the silence'. A car (a few cars up from where I was) just stopped in the road and the bloke got out and stood motionless by his car.

Needless to say not everyone in the queue behind was entirely understanding - or possibly even knew the reason for his stopping.

No, lozzyloz, the two minute silence isn?t compulsory and I don?t think anyone was suggesting it was. It is however something called ?respect? and maybe an opportunity during the silence to value our freedom e.g. freedom of speech and to be able to write and post what we like on this Forum without being marched away in the middle of the night and never seen again. A freedom not enjoyed by millions worldwide.

Just wanted to say to the bloke in Adys Road opposite St John?s who enjoyed having a loud conversation with his mate in the upstairs window during the silence yesterday, very thoughtful of you!

I observeed the 2 min silence at home as I couldn't get out. I don't find it disrespectful that somebody didn't do likewise and chose to chat, sing or whatever, it's a very personal thing. One of the cornerstones of Remembrance is surely that people gave their lives for freedom, democracy and free will, not to have stuff imposed upon them. Play rugby or observe 2 min silence? Your right to choose. As an aside I'm not convinced that the current conflict falls into that category but agree that veterans and dead should be remembered and honoured.

The 'respect' thing is interesting.

Why do people wear black at funerals? When you attend your first funeral, you're told (as a response to your infantile questioning) that you wear it as a mark of respect. But the truth is that you wear black because that's what everyone else will be wearing, because you don't want to stick-out like a sore thumb and because you don't want people glaring at tutting at you.

I never conform at funerals and I think it would be ridiculous and stuffy to force people to reflect upon something if they do not want to for whatever reason. That is not democratic, and as pointed out already, the people who lost their lives in war were selflessly defending the freedoms we continue to enjoy today. I think it is up to the individual to decide whether it is worth remembering and commerorating the men and women who have lost their lives to defend our freedoms we enjoy... Maybe in our consumer society of waste and greed a lot of people simply are not aware or do not see the importance of remembering people from so long ago who died for a cause they do not fully understand, who knows.. I mark Remebrance Sunday in my own way, every year it is different.. but I always take the time out of my life to reflect.. I'd like to think others do the same..

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The 'respect' thing is interesting.

>

> Why do people wear black at funerals? the truth is

> that you wear black because that's what everyone

> else will be wearing, because you don't want to

> stick-out like a sore thumb and because you don't

> want people glaring at tutting at you.

That may be your reason, but black is one of the European colours of mourning, witness state funerals etc. It was used by both the Egyptians and Romans, though not the Greeks. In South Africa, Red is used, in Iran, Blue.

mishadreams Wrote:

> That may be your reason, but black is one of the

> European colours of mourning, witness state

> funerals etc. It was used by both the Egyptians

> and Romans, though not the Greeks. In South

> Africa, Red is used, in Iran, Blue.

That's what I mean. The colour of mourning might be lime green with orange spots and a tartan cape in some place or other. What it's all really about is fitting-in and conforming with the norms of a particular society.

lozzyloz, thankyou. Good to be back!

I have relatives who moved abroad to get away from this country following service for our armed forces. An uncle of mine in Australia does not mark Remembrance celebrations despite being a deep sea diver who defused mines during the second world war. He remains rather bitter towards this country and the treatment he claims he and his family received in the post war years where he was forced to bring up a young family in a bedsit in the East End.

People all have good reason for remembering or choosing to forget, and I think that is everyones individual right.

I think there is a significant difference between those who choose to remember the sacrifice that the services have made for us in their own private way or those who for personal reasons chose not to commemorate the fallen, and those who can't be bothered/ aren't interested/ don't think it has anything to do with them. I suspect those playing rugby fell into the last category. If they did - shame on them.

• 11 months later...

Err.... does anyone know of a service that will be on at around 9am in the area?

New to this forum and unconfrontational at heart, but I would like to say that I like to go to the service each year mainly as a personal tribute to my grandfather and how hurt he was at the many friends and family he lost in the second world war. It has really annoyed me this year that I have been asked a few times by people why I am wearing a poppy! Having said that I do think it is unreasonable to expect everyone to feel as strongly as I do about respecting those that have died in service, as everyone has different experiences and backgrounds.

However, as you can tell, I need to find a service that fits in with my prior plans for Sunday!! I feel bad but this year if I cannot find a service early on in the morning I'm will miss it to go wedding dress shopping for my best friend, so I do also understand that everyone has priorities and this year my best friends wedding wins....

Maki Wrote:

> It has really annoyed me this year that I

> have been asked a few times by people why I am

> wearing a poppy!

who asked you, what was your reply, and what did they say in response??